The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2011, 09:59 PM

mbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to behold
Question need help!

Hi, sorry if this seems urgent, it really isnt. I got to test out the fly rig I got a few days ago used. the rod is a 8ft 6 5/6wt with unknown line. I did some casting this evening and did good, however the line wouldnt shoot at all, nor will it load enough for a double haul. My noob statis may be wrong but my guess is this is not WF line. I was able to cast 20-30 ft with no problem if I started thatit layed out that long and held the line in my finger, but shooting the line it would just stop and flop. and the double haul it wouldnt get pulled back out of the reel. is my problem as a expect and I need to get some heavier wf line in the next day or so?. help!?!?

many thanks in advance.
Mike
Old 06-16-2011, 10:36 PM

raindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud of
Default Re: need help!

It is kind of hard to understand what is going on from your post. You say it just stops and flops and won't pull out from the reel. Do you have some slack line at your feet? Or are you trying to get the line to strip from the reel during the cast?

When it stops and flops-- do you mean that the line turns over forcefully and slams toward the ground? or does the whole thing lose momentum and just pile up in a heap before turning over?

Sorry for the seemingly strange questions-- I just don't quite follow what you are saying/ asking.

///EDIT/// you can determine fairly easily if it is WF or not by simply looking at/ feeling the line-- somewhere in the first 20 or 30 feet there will be a noticeable taper in the line from thicker at the end to thinner going onto your reel.
Old 06-16-2011, 10:51 PM

mbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by raindogt View Post
It is kind of hard to understand what is going on from your post. You say it just stops and flops and won't pull out from the reel. Do you have some slack line at your feet? Or are you trying to get the line to strip from the reel during the cast?

No, I am trying to shoot line from my fingers on my none casting hand with slack at my feet.

When it stops and flops-- do you mean that the line turns over forcefully and slams toward the ground? or does the whole thing lose momentum and just pile up in a heap before turning over?

I am releasing the line as the line in flight streightens out , it is as if the line in flight doesnt have the pull to pull the line I release going through the rod eyes. the same thing happens when i try to double haul, I get good response pulling but the line doesnt feed out when I release at the end of the cast, hope this helps.

Sorry for the seemingly strange questions-- I just don't quite follow what you are saying/ asking.
see above :to note I used a redington 7wt last year for a few minutes at a friends house and was able to use the casting style I am trying with my rig and I was able to double haul and shoot line out a good ways. I was also able to feel the thud as the line streightens out with his rig.

---------- Post added at 09:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:48 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by raindogt View Post
///EDIT/// you can determine fairly easily if it is WF or not by simply looking at/ feeling the line-- somewhere in the first 20 or 30 feet there will be a noticeable taper in the line from thicker at the end to thinner going onto your reel.
that i can say it doesnt have wf line, I had the whole line off the spool to clean it and it felt and looked the same the entire length.
Old 06-17-2011, 09:39 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Then as Raindog said you have a level line. You should be releasing the line soon after the "stop" though. Don't hang on to it until it straightens out.
Old 06-17-2011, 11:00 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

When you shoot line it should not be pulling off the spool. The amount of line you want to shoot should already be out of the spool. Either on the ground, floating around you or in a stripping basket.
Old 06-17-2011, 11:03 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi mbphotos54,

I suggest you buy a weight forward 6wt line from Allen Fly Fishing. He is having a Father's Day sale and you can get the line for $11. That should solve your problem.

Frank
Old 06-17-2011, 08:24 PM

Thanks Frank Ill check it out. might go to bps this sunday, look at more goodies.
Old 06-19-2011, 10:41 PM

well, problem was solved today with WF 6wt line I picked up at bass pro today. I got to cast it this evening and it was much better, was able to shoot and double haul with no problem, well as good as my beginner skills do, but it was a big improvement to the line I got with the reel. more success to come I hope. hope to test this rig on fish this week if these storms let off..
mike
Old 06-20-2011, 10:17 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Mike,

That is great that it was an easy fix. The right Fly line is much more important than many people realize.

Frank
Old 06-20-2011, 05:44 PM

indeed, i do notice i was able to lay the line out better withthe old line but atleast I got distance now.. I need to work on casting alot, few tailing loop knots after last nights session.