The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2011, 07:48 AM

spaceod is on a distinguished road
Default the disappearing fly - super newb

Hi All,

So i hiked out to a local lake (Harriman SP, NY) last evening. Tried fly fishing for the first time in my life (rod is 9ft, 6wt, the outfit included the reel, backing, fly line and a leader). This is actually quite fun and i managed to catch some (dont laugh please) bluegill and pumpkinseed.

i can identify plenty of problems with my casting, as expected. There is one, however, that has me baffled: during a back cast, when the line is behind / above me and i start to move the rod tip forward, i keep hearing a snap (sort of what a whip would sound like) and the more weird (and expensive) part - the fly is usually missing after a few cast attempts that have the snap.

I think i tied the fly to the leader properly (improved clinch knot) so it is something with my casting.

Let me know if you guys have suggestions / tips that could help me out.

Thanks

~a

ps, thanks for compiling the "Fly Fishing Gear FAQ" some really good info there![COLOR="Silver"]
Old 06-17-2011, 08:00 AM

Davec921 has a spectacular aura aboutDavec921 has a spectacular aura aboutDavec921 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: the disappearing fly - super newb

Im no expert but the snapping you are hearing is just that.
You are starting your forward movement to soon. An the result is you are snapping the line like a bull whip.

And as a result you are snapping the fly off your line.
Try watching your back cast an do not start your forward cast till after the line has straightened out.
DAVE
Old 06-17-2011, 08:04 AM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

The minute I read this "the disappearing fly" I knew what this thread was about.

That crack sound you are hearing is just like what a whip would sound like because your line is doing the same thing.

Basically you are starting your forward casting stroke before your backward stroke is finished. So your line is starting to unroll behind you and moving at X speed, then you start your forward stroke which accelerates the line even more as it unravels, and the mass of your fly at the end of the line sends it spinning off into space.

In the case of a whip the "Crack" is actually a small sonic boom as the end of the whip goes supersonic.

In the case of your flyline/fly I suspect that may also be the case, but I guess it could just be the sound of the line breaking as your fly goes off into outer space.
Old 06-17-2011, 10:12 AM

thanks for the help guys, i appreciate it - that will give me something to think about when practicing casting over the weekend.

What would be a good object to attach to the leader instead a fly for training purposes?
Old 06-17-2011, 10:25 AM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceod View Post
thanks for the help guys, i appreciate it - that will give me something to think about when practicing casting over the weekend.

What would be a good object to attach to the leader instead a fly for training purposes?
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 06-17-2011, 11:26 AM

thanks again mudbug
Old 06-17-2011, 12:48 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Spaceod- Welcome to the forum--

You've got great advice from the guys-- just tie a 1" piece of yarn in the middle as a practice "fly" if you want to do some casting on the lawn.

You'll get to know the feel of the fly line after just a little while, but for now one thing you can do is to open up your stance a bit so you can look over your right shoulder to actually watch the line straighten out on your backcast before you start the forward cast.

And remember the more line you have out in the air, the longer you'll have to wait for it to straighten out behind you. Keep in mind that the keys to good casting is timing- letting the line straighten out before beginning the forward and back casts, smooth acceleration on the forward and back casts and sudden stops at the end of the forward and back casts rather than brute strength--- it's almost an irresistible tendency to try and muscle our way into greater distance, but if you get the chance to watch Joan Wulff who is now around 85 years old and maybe 100 lbs soaking wet you'll see how effortlessly she's able to throw a long line with her excellent timing and mechanics: