The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2011, 01:36 AM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Bending the wrist and tailing loops

Bending the wrist can cause open loops because the rod doesn't stop (fore or aft). You get that whishy indefinite stop. It loses energy when you're trying to load the rod. The energy loss makes the line slow down and you get a tailing loop.
Open loops are slow and inefficient. The loop opens up, the line slows down and drops, causing a tailing loop.

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privelege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey
Old 07-11-2011, 03:53 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoJer View Post
Bending the wrist can cause open loops because the rod doesn't stop (fore or aft). You get that whishy indefinite stop. It loses energy when you're trying to load the rod. The energy loss makes the line slow down and you get a tailing loop.
Open loops are slow and inefficient. The loop opens up, the line slows down and drops, causing a tailing loop.
You may be correct but I don't understand how you are trying to explain it. My apologies if I am not getting it but these are the problems I find in your post.

I don't understand "energy loss when you're trying to load the rod". If you are referring to a poor stop, with a poor transfer of energy to the line from the rod; then it is not rod loading, but rod unloading that occurs at the stop. If you are referring to loading the rod; it is not loss of energy, but poor acceleration that has very poor energy to transfer to the rod and line. Hence is is not a loss of energy but energy that was never created. Loss of energy and less energy creation are two different things.

I don't understand "the loop opening up causing a tailing loop" which is closed loop. Do you mean the open loop causes the fly to start from a low position and hence a higher rod path must cause the lines to cross? The problem with this theory is that for it to occur you need a straight or concave rod tip path. By defining the "whishy wrist" as causing an open loop on the back cast, you necessarily define the rod tip path as very convex. This will cause a low fly position to follow the line around the circle of the rod tip path on the forward cast as well and will result in an open loop and not a closed loop.

Remember that as the person starts the back cast, the fly is starting at ground or water level which is a low position to begin with. If the "whishy wrist" back cast results in an open loop as you state, then the opposite same casting motion will also result in an open loop. Hence no tailing loop.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 07-25-2011, 10:18 PM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

The rod loads when the acceleration from the casting motion and the weight of the flyline make the rod bend. The bent rod is loaded. As the rod comes forward and stops, the line, also coming forward and forming a loop, and energy is transferred to the line. Fast acceleration and a sudden stop forms a tight, fast, narrow loop. If the energy is sufficient the loop will remain fast and narrow with the sides of the loop continuing to travel parrallel to each other.
If the rod doesn't stop (whishy wrist), the energy isn't efficiently transferred to the line. The line slows down, the loop collapses and you get a tailing loop.
If you're doing the wishy wrist thing on the back cast, you're likely getting large slow loops both fore and aft. Big slow loop, inefficient cast, collapsing loop, tailing loop.
I may have written that wrong the first time:Bending the wrist can cause open loops because the rod doesn't stop (fore or aft). You get that whishy indefinite stop. It loses energy when you're trying to load the rod. Maybe I should have said "trying to transfer the energy from the rod to the line" The energy loss makes the line slow down and you get a tailing loop.

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privelege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey