The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2011, 03:43 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future
Default Re: Equipment for Record Casters

I never saw that movie. That was hysterical!!!

THANKS Frank!!!
Old 07-02-2011, 08:23 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Back to line dressing. A lot of the European distance casters like, and use, Zipcast. It could not be imported into some countries over there - probably known to cause brain warts in California.

One of the guys who uses it over there says it stinks so bad he puts on rubber gloves before coating his lines with it, but it works so well for him that it's worth it.

I've never tried it.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 07-02-2011, 09:53 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjc View Post
Back to line dressing. A lot of the European distance casters like, and use, Zipcast.

I've never tried it.

Cheers,
Jim
I have. I carry a bottle of it in my reel case. I don't get the varied revues it gets. To me almost any commercial product from line manufacturers is better. I find Zip Cast to have a catchy name but as for a line conditioner, I would call it more a mild line cleaner that does make the line a little bit slicker for a very short while.
I'm a bit suprised that the Euro's like it when I was sent a line conditioner from a friend over there that is so slick I can hardly hold onto the line to haul. Then too, there are quite a few people here who like Zip Cast. Go figure.
As a quick and easy line cleaner not much removed from plain water it's fine IMHO.
Old 07-02-2011, 03:46 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

That was a great moment in American cinema...LOL!

Lubricant: I get lazy sometimes, and while I always clean my lines after each use, I've been slacking off on the SA lube. My wife and I were fishing on our favorite stream today, and I spent the first two hours helping her try to get a smallmouth. I finally took my wooly bugger off the hook holder and cast the entire line across the stream. IT FELT STICKY AS TAR! I'm also too lazy to carry the lube in my vest, so I just had to make do. I was casting to reach a shadowy overhang and to show off for my wife, but a small duck took my buggger!!! I had to haul the line and duck across and upstream, with momma duck flipping out the entire time. It got really bad when the duck was within reach, with the mother duck pouncing on top of the smaller (not a baby) duck. Fortunately the hook was in the roof of the duck's bill, and not its tongue. Those ducks paddled downstream about a 1/2 mile!

I've never tried anything else beyond Cortland's cleaner/lube pads, and now SA's line coating. I can tell you that not applying the lube can hold you back.