The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2011, 10:47 PM

mbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to behold
Default wet line affect to casting.

Yet another noob question to toss out there..

today It seemed the longer I was fishing the fly line wasnt flying as it did when i started, I noticed alot of water coming off on my stripping finger, I havent cleaned this new line yet and i was wondering if this would help. I also ran into issues with my stripping finger getting sticky and had some issues on a few casts, am i doing something wrong? I do plan to post a video soon of my casting for critique.
Mike
Old 06-26-2011, 11:18 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: wet line affect to casting.

Cleaning lines often will help your distance. Once you become familiar with the line you can tell when it needs to be cleaned. Also when you first start casting you are using muscles that you may not have used, or at least in this way. Part of the trouble may have been just from getting a little tired. Practice works for a couple of reasons and one of them is muscle memory.

Also with video, and I believe in video as a tool for trouble shooting casts, most of the time you can spot your own error in the video. And there are people here who can help as well.
Old 06-26-2011, 11:31 PM

ncflyboy will become famous soon enoughncflyboy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbphotos54 View Post
Yet another noob question to toss out there..

today It seemed the longer I was fishing the fly line wasnt flying as it did when i started, I noticed alot of water coming off on my stripping finger, I havent cleaned this new line yet and i was wondering if this would help.
Mike
Are you casting longer distances? It would stand to reason that the more line you are stripping in, the more likely you will experience more water on your finger.

Cheers,

Robert
Old 06-26-2011, 11:37 PM

mbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to behold

thanks, ill try to get a video soon. during todays session I notice this wet line issue wasnt as bad when I had the line on shore for a breather, and I even wiped the line with a rag and it casted alot better. but yes as the day went on I was tired, after my 4th tangled mess I called it a day.

---------- Post added at 10:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:33 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncflyboy View Post
Are you casting longer distances? It would stand to reason that the more line you are stripping in, the more likely you will experience more water on your finger.

Cheers,

Robert
I wouldnt consider the distances I am getting long by the videos I have seen, but I am getting better. but I was stripping all the way to 10ft from the shore.
Old 06-27-2011, 08:47 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Quote:
today It seemed the longer I was fishing the fly line wasnt flying as it did when i started, I noticed alot of water coming off on my stripping finger, I havent cleaned this new line yet and i was wondering if this would help.
Yes it will help. I keep one of those green "glide" boxes in my pocket and use it numerous times while fishing if I"m blind casting. When the line gets sticky to the point where it stops by itself in my rod hand finger (sometimes feelling like a tap) , I loop it over two fingers on my rod hand when stripping.

When that quits working, I grease the line up again. It almost feels like the line surface gets waterlogged.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 06-27-2011, 10:26 AM

ncflyboy will become famous soon enoughncflyboy will become famous soon enough
Smile Re: wet line affect to casting.

mbphoto,

What flyline are you using? From my experience, the lower priced lines need line dressing and need to be cleaned more often.

I currently use Scientific Anglers "GPX" and Cabela's "prestige plus" flylines. Both lines have the slick factory coating and only require cleaning. A slicker flyline will prevent some "junk" from sticking to your flyline. I use those cleaning pads by Scientific Anglers. Both lines have the welded loop to allow easy leader changes when I replace a leader. I have used lines that require line dressing too...but I prefer the lines that are slick from the factory (if I fished in clear waters, I wouldn't mind occasionally applying line dressing, but I am fishing water that isn't always clean and clear).

I don't flyfish in pristine waters; I visit ponds, lakes, and swamps. I try not to cast where slime is floating on the surface. Sometimes I refuse to fish some places because I will gum up my flyline with pond scum, algae, and the like.

Cheers,

Robert
Old 06-27-2011, 02:49 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

If your line is dirty, you'll want to clean it, but if it's a new line it probably shouldn't be too bad unless you've been fishing in a lot of slop, or have been practice casting over dirt, gravel instead of over grass. And casting in a driveway or parking lot can scratch up a line pretty quick.

As others have said, if your line is dirty you'll want to clean it.

But since you mentioned you were having problems casting a wet line, I wonder if the increased resistance it takes to "rip" line from the water on your cast might be a problem. It could be a problem if your fishing in a fast moving stream where the current is strong and bellying your slack line down stream, or if your fly line is sinking--- it'll be a lot harder to pick it off or through the water to cast.

Generally this shouldn't be too much of a problem when wading if you're fishing a floating line and standing out of the current.
Old 06-27-2011, 09:59 PM

the line i picked up about a weekago is a wf-6-f white river cv2 premium line. i also noticed last night that one of the middle eyes on the rod had a wire bit on it, so I removed it. I also accordo cleaned the line and rod and eyes. it helped alot. I also tried a 6-8 8ft rod today that my dad has and was able to cast a bit smoother with it. that rod isnt as light as the SA8,6 and will give a bit more on smaller fish. but I am going to try and cast with the stiffer rod the next time out. cast video will be uploaded soon.