The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2011, 10:18 PM

mbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to behold
Default Bad video of me casting(new video added)

let me have it.. sorry the video is junk, about the only thing you can see in my hand movement, I will barrow a cam that can see the line soon. how am I doing from what you can see.

Last edited by mbphotos54; 06-28-2011 at 10:08 PM.
Old 06-27-2011, 10:33 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bad video of me casting

I'm no casting instructor so I'm not going to comment on your technique, but would like to offer that it might be easier for someone qualified to judge your casting if you would set the camera up so it is off the the side, so they can see what your arm and wrist movements while casting and do the video in bright sunlight......just my 2 cents.

Larry

Old 06-27-2011, 10:48 PM

mbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to behold

this is partly why I need to barrow the other cam, the wide angle im using doesnt do great for this type of video, I may try it again with this one and face another direction. i knew from the getgo this vid wasnt great but figure I would post anyway incase someone sees something from it and can help.
Old 06-27-2011, 11:48 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Just a quick reply from the little I can see from the video...

The finger on top grip is okay but most say they use it for shorter casts.

That is a heck of a lot of false casting. Maybe it's just for the video but for general fishing or even distance competitions you rarely see that many false casts. When your cast gets better you'll probably find the number of false casts will be far fewer.

Note the bend of your rod in the video. It really bends at the start of each cast and hardly has a bend to it at the end. For fly casting you want just the opposite. Work on a smooth start to a powerful, snappy finish. Add a sharp stop and you're well on your way to a very good cast.

Looking forward to some side view videos with both you in some shots and your line in a high contrast background in others.
Old 06-27-2011, 11:50 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Is that like a hat camera or something? Try putting it on a tripod off to the side. We need to see everything from your hands to foot placement.
Old 06-28-2011, 02:17 AM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

yea.... the side view will tell all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
Is that like a hat camera or something? Try putting it on a tripod off to the side. We need to see everything from your hands to foot placement.

ARFE
Old 06-28-2011, 07:41 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

I use a cheap sony handicam and am on about #3 now, each bought off ebay for about a hundred bucks.

Here is a grabbed frame off a video taken from the side-only perspective showing a portion of the rod and the upper torso of the caster:

From it (after watching the video) we can tell that:
1) The rod appears to be pretty well loaded
2) The rod butt is forward at about the 12:30 position
2) He is ready to move into the fastest part of the haul. (Extension of the forearm and pronation of the wrist)

Click the image to open in full size.

From the exact same picture (before I cropped it for the above) - taken exactly as Diver Dan suggested - we can tell the following:

1) The rod is most definitely pretty well loaded
2) The rod butt is forward at about the 12:30 position
3) The caster has a relaxed stance
4) The caster has very skinny legs with big feet on the ends, and is probably an old man
5) He has shifted his weight forward.
6) He is casting with an upward trajectory
7) The fly line appears to be very straight, judging from the rod load and what we can see of the line, so his reverse timing is likely adaquate, and he probably set up the forward cast with a decent backcast.
8) He is ready to move into the fastest part of the haul. (Extension of the forearm and pronation of the wrist)
9) He has finally smartened up enough to coil stripped line in a mud bucket (on the downwind side) so it doesn't get hung up on the nasty Keys grass on every cast.

Click the image to open in full size.

It is not important to see the line unroll, and not that important to even see the line. What's mainly important is the caster's body, where the rod starts loading, the rod butt angle, the positioning of his hands and so on.

You'll get it if you keep trying. Fortunately, we no longer need to pay for film developing, so just spend some time at it. It is well, well worth it. If not, football films (with old time film) would never have been taken by coaches even at the High School level.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 06-28-2011, 08:22 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Jackster addressed some key points, but here's another. You are allowing the line to go slack with your left hand at the end of each stroke. Watch the video at around the :20 second mark, and note that loose bit of line that develops. Keeping the line tight keeps the rod loaded, and allowing the line to go slack unloads the rod. My wife fishes with me often, and she develops bad habits all the time (new ones to replace/add to the old ones). Lately, she's been holding the line in her left hand, and bringing the rod back with her left hand at her side. Halfway through her foward cast, she brings the left hand up to me her right had: tons of slack, and no power in the foward cast. When using a double or single haul, the left hand does move line away from the rod, but the remaining step(s) keep/add tension on the line when the next casting stroke. When I see her doing this, we go back to "Stop to a Stop" and "Snap to Snap" basics. Once she's re-focused, the line is always torn from her left
hand on the final cast, as she's not expecting that much power in the line. That's when she gets it, and I can go back to my fishing. The problem is, she forgets it as soon as she has a strike, and begins whipping the rod and line back and forth without regard to proper technique.

Look at it this way: everything you do is going to effect the cast. Turning your head back is probably going to cause your right shoulder to rotate back as well. This could very easily subtract from the rod's acceleration, and rob your casting power. Not having a clear stop at the end of each casting stroke robs power as well. While the temptation to cast 50 feet right off the bat is understandable, I'd focus on casting 25 feet while eliminating all motions not related to a proper cast. Moving your hand back eight inches translates to a nine foot rod tip moving several feet. Keeping that in mind, you'll be able to produce more power in the rod. Etc....

False Casting:
It's not known if the number of false casts in the video was done to allow the viewer time to see your casting stroke. If you simply make that number of false casts regularly, try this method I use with my wife. Limit yourself to two
false casts for anything under 45 feet. Forcing yourself to focus your effort will help you to recognize the motions that don't contribute to a proper cast. An acceleration to a stop, followed by an acceration to a stop really does wonders for generating power in the rod, and transmitting that power to the line. With 25 feet of line out from the rod tip, try to see how short you can make your casting stroke, i.e reduce the amount the rod tip travels during the cast. Casting 25 feet of line requires very little tip travel, and extra travel in your rod's tip just robs power.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:36 AM

thanks everyone, Ill read this all again when not at work. the amount of false casting in the video isnt how I cast on the water, since Im workign on casting I tend to keep going, I have been getting all my slack line out in 3-5 strokes. I also find I cast better when I have a target. I tried a shorter stiffer rod after the video was taken and the loops looked smoother. Ill mount the cam to a tripod, its a helmet cam for biking and sports, and is waterproof so it will be my creek cam also. ill try again with video tonight.
mike
Old 06-28-2011, 10:09 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

The "slack" Frank was referring to is not the line at your feet when false casting, but that between your line hand and the end of the fly line.

It can take many forms, including the rod not pointing down and toward the fly when doing a pickup off the water, or your line hand moving toward the stripping guide during a casting stroke as Frank's wife was doing.

Cheers,
Jim

Last edited by wjc; 06-28-2011 at 10:11 AM. Reason: Edit in RED