The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2010, 01:04 PM

seajay will become famous soon enoughseajay will become famous soon enough
Default Tail looping

I see this term used often. What does it mean? Is there a diagram showing this?
Old 06-14-2010, 02:55 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: Tail looping

Its known as a tailing loop, search using that.

I very recently posted some diagrams.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 06-14-2010, 04:17 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Seajay,

Here is a link to the drawing that Cliff is referring to. Scan down the page and you will see just how it happens.

Frank
Old 06-14-2010, 05:42 PM

seajay will become famous soon enoughseajay will become famous soon enough

Many thanks to both of you guys. I guess I am doing well as I have not seen this issue yet. Still looking for the fish in my back yard.
Old 06-14-2010, 05:52 PM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

Just as long as you're not looking for fish on your backcast

Kelly.
Old 06-15-2010, 09:31 AM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

Kelly, I did that one time at Pyramid Lake. It's the only time I ever dropped my back cast. Honest.
DUMB fish on!

Jim

Bigfly
Old 06-15-2010, 09:45 AM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all

Generally a tailing loop is caused by putting too much power too early in the cast. (Sometimes this "extra" power is a result of hauling too early.)

Tailing loops are more prone to slower rods.

Randy
Old 06-17-2010, 01:52 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Here is a video of a taling loop in slow motion. This one is caused by too soon an application of power, as Randy was talking about. You can see the rod tip spring up at the end of the forward cast.

The cast should consist of continuous acceleration to the stop, with a wide enough casting arc so that the rod cannot pop up at the end of the cast, causing a concave tip path.

Cheers,
Jim

Last edited by wjc; 06-19-2010 at 07:56 AM.
Old 06-17-2010, 09:40 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

After seeing that video, one could ascertain, and be somewhat correct that one fix to fixing a tailing loop is to stop the forward stroke in a lower position. This does decrease the likelihood of getting a tailing loop, but really only works on shorter casts where a lower amount of power has been used.

Gradual and constant acceleration through the casting stroke is the surest way to eliminate tailing loops on both long casts, and short casts where you need the forward cast to straighten fully above the water. (reach casts, tuck casts, etc)

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 06-19-2010, 12:08 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

What are you doing looking behind you anyway? Seriously though, I've noticed that when I watch my loops I miss the sweet spot. Look at your target, you can feel it when its time to come forward with the rod.