The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2011, 08:07 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise
Default Re: Unconventional, unstylish casting

when fishing a small stream lined with brush, logs or over hanging trees, i break out my 6' 2 weight. the casting is often "creative", but effective.

this type of fishing is one of my favorites.

casey

ARFE
Old 07-07-2011, 05:42 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Small stream fishing for native Brookies is my favorite; always has been, probably always will be. I don't usually go below a 7'6" 3 wt. under those conditions; it seems to get the job done for me and gets my fly in and around the rhodies, mountain laurel and the streamside dead trees.

J-P does fish some skinny water; I can attest to that.......and with a 9'0" rod to boot!

Pocono
Old 07-07-2011, 07:07 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

I fish a stream that is medium wide, but stop 40 feet short of the edge once I reach it. I've stepped on too many nice fish holding along the edges, and now watch and wait for a while. My approach is made while bent in half, and the first few cast are made in the same posture. As I begin to fish the water I'll stand up straight. The stream is narrow enough that a double haul allows me to reach the other without getting in the water, and staying out of the water is my main concern. There are some really good-sized fish there, but the bottom is very rocky (large rock slabs, with a zillion baseball size rocks scattered around), and wading creates a lot of rock-on-rock grinding. My best fish were caught without getting in the water, or at least staying clear of the pool I'm fishing.

Long casts on small streams can be very useful, and I don't get any closer to the fish than needed. If you're fishing a stream with a tight canopy of branches, that means you won't be making 70 foot casts. If conditions allow, I'll make the longest cast possible to reach fish without wading to them. This is especially important if the opposite bank isn't accessible without wading.
The stream I fish most often has many deep channel carved into its rocky bottom, all runing parallel to the current flow. Those channels are where the fish are holding, and wading closer to the other side means stepping from one foot of water into 3 feet and deeper, back to one foot, and so on. Hence, my medium sized stream becomes a series of smaller streams repeated across the main body of water. Probing each of those channels is the key to success, and lprogressively longer casts are used.

A stylish cast to me, is a cast that lands quietly. That means that even if I'm double hauling a ton of line to reach the other side of my favorite stream, the line is not allowed to slap the water. Casting across channels doesn't mean I won't be fishing the nearer channels again, so I'm careful that the entire line lands softly.

Here's a photo of my favorite stream. There is a deep channel that run a couple of feet away from the large rock pile on the left. Some really large smallmouth hold in that channel, so I crawl along that rock to cast to them. The water is generally crystal clear, and once they see you....

Click the image to open in full size.

The payoff of stealth on a not so small stream:

I see people fishing those rocks on occassion (that section sees few anglers, in spite of being located in a suburban area ), but they all walk right up to the edge of the rock. I have yet to see any else catch a decent smallmouth there....or any smallmouth. Stealth, stealth, and some more stealth is the trick.

P.S. Long casts require SHARP hooks, especially when using light lines like a 4wt.
Old 07-07-2011, 10:36 AM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice

I fish like that some, but most of the places a fish are not that small, but I do a lot of short tight line nymphing, I like to fish a lot of the spots on a river most others pass up. I also love to find small spots between trees.

However, this year after I joined a local fly fishing club I began to see virtue in cast great distances with accurancy that I normally do not fish. As the guys in my club who are the best casters cast great distances and every thing in between with great accuracy. They are also the best I've seen at getting a perfect drift in nearly all distances and situations.

I think it was Lefty Kreh I heard say something like "if you can cast consistantly with accuracy to 100' you can cast consistantly with accuracy any distance up to that as well."
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.
Old 07-07-2011, 11:11 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocono View Post
Small stream fishing for native Brookies is my favorite; always has been, probably always will be. I don't usually go below a 7'6" 3 wt. under those conditions; it seems to get the job done for me and gets my fly in and around the rhodies, mountain laurel and the streamside dead trees.

J-P does fish some skinny water; I can attest to that.......and with a 9'0" rod to boot!

Pocono
Allan I used my 10' on saturday when we fished together....hope one day you will fish in Austria with me....will take you to what Nico calls level 8 sections....narrow,fast and overgrown....took my friend Pierre to one of them a few years ago,he wasn't always at ease with his 9',but in the evening he told me it was one of the most exciting fishing he had ever had here are some pics taken by Pierre's wife...in the rare places where she could,from the bank...
one of Nico's favorite...not bad either...
Old 07-07-2011, 01:42 PM

oarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to all

Nice pic's, looks like the river I fish.

Rick
Old 07-14-2011, 10:20 PM

wabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nice

Perhaps I'll never be asked to make a video to teach casting, but I've developed a style that allows me to place my fly on the water where I want it without hitting me or the rod (most times) and not tying knots in the leader.
When the problems arise (the fly hitting me or the rod and "wind knots") most often it's the timing of the cast that is to blame. I prefer a somewhat slow action rod, and usually overline my medium or medium/fast graphite rods a line size to slow them down to more closely match my fiberglass or bamboo rod(s).