The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2011, 09:18 AM

nickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of light
Default Unconventional, unstylish casting

Lots of threads here and everywhere about distance and style. Doesn't anyone fish in the brush anymore? A large percentage of my casting is done from my knees, from behind rocks and logs, under overhanging trees, sometimes casting more leader than line. I caught a nice brown last week; it was in a run about two feet wide, between a rock and the shore, under trees. I had to cast over a low branch and hang the line on that branch to get the fish. I wear kneepads to fish...not a lot of distance and style. Anyone else?
Old 07-06-2011, 12:30 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future
Default Re: Unconventional, unstylish casting

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickj View Post
Lots of threads here and everywhere about distance and style. Doesn't anyone fish in the brush anymore? A large percentage of my casting is done from my knees, from behind rocks and logs, under overhanging trees, sometimes casting more leader than line. I caught a nice brown last week; it was in a run about two feet wide, between a rock and the shore, under trees. I had to cast over a low branch and hang the line on that branch to get the fish. I wear kneepads to fish...not a lot of distance and style. Anyone else?
I used to love that stuff. Age and health prevent it now, dangit!
One of the best things I used, besides my trusty Scott 'G' - 6'10", 3 weight, was the use of thread-based furled leaders. Very sweet when there wasn't room to have little to any fly line out past the rod tip.
Old 07-06-2011, 01:24 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi Nick,

Unconventional casting is my forte' I've been doing what you're talking about since I was a kid. Now I salmon fish using a 13' rod but can't enter into casting discussions because I don't concentrate on distance or exotic casts. I specialize in casting to specific targets and then controlling the fly so that I catch fish. I still do some bushwhacking for trout every season just to keep me honest but spend more time sneaking up on salmon. It's pretty much the same as the old trout sneak & peak but I don't get into any small water for them. A small spot now is about 40' wide but if you don't hug the shore and keep a low profile you won't catch any fish so not much has changed.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 07-06-2011, 03:10 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

You're right not to worry about that...I really don't care about style and distance....being able to cast your fly or nymph where you want is what matters.I love fishing sections where most people think it's impossible to flyfish and try to cast a fly on the most difficult spots...for that there's an amazing number of different castings you won't see in books or videos...not always stylish but efficient
Old 07-06-2011, 04:33 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

One of my favorite rods is an old fiberglass 6'6" Wright&McGill Featherlight.
It's rated for a HEH (5DT) line, but even with a 4WF or even a 3DT this rod will load with only the leader and a foot of line out of the tip-top.
That makes for some close-up casting.
I can even cast it accurately sidearm while "choking-up", holding the reel/grip behind my back.
There's lots of little streams around here where fishing that way is the only way to go.
Old 07-06-2011, 05:41 PM

madjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud of
Send a message via Skype™ to madjoni

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickj View Post
A large percentage of my casting is done from my knees, from behind rocks and logs, under overhanging trees, sometimes casting more leader than line.
That is story of my life Nick I do it very day
Old 07-06-2011, 06:47 PM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute

As long as my fly doesn't hook me in the ear on a bow and arrow cast I'm alright. Check out Hardyreels "Small Stream Stories" thread under Coldwater. I still consider myself an unstylish, unconventional caster after years of fly fishing... and don't even mention mending. milt.
Old 07-06-2011, 06:53 PM

nickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of light

It's nice to hear I'm not alone. And I do know about those small Connecticut streams, that's where I grew up.
Old 07-06-2011, 07:24 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Nick,

I find that There is an upside to almost everything; be glad that a high percentage of fly fishers are preoccupied with casting a whole fly line and looking good while they do it. Otherwise when you got to your favorite little brook there would be someone walking right up the middle of it trying to get an Indi Rig to work out for them

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 07-06-2011, 07:54 PM

ncflyboy will become famous soon enoughncflyboy will become famous soon enough
Smile Re: Unconventional, unstylish casting

When things get really tight, I break out the 5'8" number...the "short" 4wt. Between trees, under a bridge, under a boat dock...this is where it shines!

This rod would be fantastic for streams and creeks...unfortunately water mocasins and ticks love to hang around them on this side of the state!

Unconventional casts...under trees, bridges, and the occcasional "steeple" cast!

Cheers,

Robert