The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2011, 11:09 PM

hillbilly rick is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Newb with casting and line problems

Silver Creek,
I thought of that but the bumps I was feeling were back far enough I thought it better not to.
I was out running errands today and looked all over(3 counties) for fly line. The only thing I could find was SA Aircel WF-7-F. It was the only 7w line I could find so I got it.
Is there anything I should do before using it? Cleaning, dressing. It says, general purpose, so I doubt it's a bass taper but it is wf and if it floats I'm much better off than I was...I hope.
You're right, I'm using 4lb mono spinning line as a tippet.
Depending on what I'm fishing for I would use 6 or 8 lb also. Somewhere on this site someone has a thread making their leader from gradually lighter mono lines.I assumed any XL type mono would do.
There must be very little demand for fly fishing gear around here, because there is very little supply. I don't like ordering things from catalogs or the net, I just don't trust them. I want to see what I'm buying,Yes even if I don't know what I'm looking at.
Old 07-15-2011, 11:28 AM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

SA Air Cell is an older type of line without the self renewing slick coating of modern fly lines. You can use it as is out of the box. Keep the line clean with soap and water if it gets dirty.

As you fish you will find that these earlier lines do need treatment to stay slick. Since the line is an SA product, I would recommend SA fly line dressing. Russ Peaks Dressing also works well on these lines.

Fly Line Dressings and Cleaners

Another good product that is hard to find is Zipcast. It is nonsticky and does not seem to attract dirt like some treatments.

ZipCast - World's Finest Fly Line Cleaner, Lubricant And Protectant

Although you don't like ordering by internet, you an rely on a Cabelas, Orvis, and a number of other will established stores. The problem with buying fly line like an older Air Cell product as you have is that you don't know when that line was made. The plasticizers in fly line gradually degrade or dry out. A big store turns their merchandise over so you pretty much get new product even when you buy a older model.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 07-15-2011, 01:48 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbilly rick View Post
Silver Creek,
The tip of the fly line sinks first. Could it be absorbing water through it?
Yes it could. Seal the knot and the end of the line to stop it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbilly rick View Post
When I first dress my line, I don't have to muscle it out of the water and I don't hit the water behind me. When the line is sinking, it takes a lot to haul it out and I often have to dodge a large popper.

Rick
I like to fish deep so my line tip sinking is a good thing. If you want yours to stop though, besides the top bit, try putting a floatant on the line and leader. I've never seen a floating line that floats like a cork all the way to the tip on it's own. When you pull it out of the water do it with more of a side arm and it will keep it from whacking you.

As far as line cleaner goes, I just run the line back and forth through wet paper towel till I stop getting crud off of it. Then I put STP Son of a Gun on a paper towel and run it through it twice. I have several bottles of line slick designed to be line slick and none of them work as good as STP Son of a Gun.
Old 07-15-2011, 03:45 PM

Thank you both,
I have been using SA line dressing on the first line, so I have some here.
Son of a gun who'd have thought? My line didn't just not float on it's own, after 20 minutes or so it sank like it had a weight on the end I'll try this line and see what happens, if it doesn't work, I'll be needing to make a trip to St.Louis soon anyway. In the meantime I'll get some line dressing on this now, and the next time I get out I'll see if I can find Son of a gun. This is liquid car wax, right?
Rick
Old 07-16-2011, 12:07 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Son of a Gun is like Armor All. It won't make your line float. It will make it shoot like a bullet. I like it much better than the SA dressing. I'd try a floatant on the end of the line.
Old 07-16-2011, 01:24 PM

Dan,
I recall the son of a gun commercials from back in the '70s, don't believe I ever used it. I'm sure it's more readily available around these parts too.
I thought line dressing was a floatant. What works better?
If I don't have lures and poppers flying at me, my wife doesn't get pictures of the new piercings to post,I'm sure there will always be plenty.
Thanks
Rick