The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2006, 01:35 PM

Dru Lee Parsec is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up It's starting to "click"

I've been practicing my cast today. I'm using a #5/#6 weight rod with a L-5-F fly line and I'm just trying to get the timing and the feel down.

Well today I broke my habit of bringing my back cast too far back. I've been going back to 2 or 3 o'clock in an attempt to get some power. But today I was able to make myself only go to about 1 o'clock and then "feel" the bend in the rod. A couple things happened.

First: My back cast was staying up off the ground.
Second: My forward cast got longer and smoother.

I turned to watch the back cast and waited until the line was straight behind me. Then I tried to notice what that point feels like in my hand and what it looks like as far as the rod tip.

The next bad habit I seemed to have broken was to slow down my forward cast. Once the back cast started feeling good I notice how incredibly long the "pause" could be. But also, how slow the forward cast could be. Somehow, I felt like I wasn't putting as much energy into moving the rod, and yet the line would travel farther. Before today I was snapping the rod forward. Now it feels more like a "push" than a "snap".

The last thing I worked on was to stop bringing the rod all the way to 9 o'clock. I started releasing at about 11 o'clock and a couple new things started happening.

First the line would travel farther and second, the line would "lay down" nice and smooth instead of plopping in the water. (I'm casting into a 20 foot puddle on our property just to have something to aim at)

So I think I'm starting to get the feel for this casting thing. It's weird how the cast that seems to have the best timing also has the least effort and becomes the longest cast with the lightest touch down. But if I put a ton of effort and power into it then the line just doesn't go anywhere. So now I'm getting about 40' cast fairly consistently and I'm laying the end of the line down closer and closer to where I want it to be.

Cool!
Old 12-30-2006, 01:49 PM

tie one on will become famous soon enoughtie one on will become famous soon enough
Default Re: It's starting to "click"

You have begun to discover that rod is doing thework now instead of you. Congratulations !Sometimes that is the hardest thing for those of uswho teach others is to have them let go & stoptrying too hard. Forcing it does not work !!!!!!Fly casting is so easy if you do your job & let therod, etc. do it's job.I still enjoy watching the line behind me, even thoughI've been doing this a long time.Enjoy,Tie One On
Old 12-30-2006, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Forcing it does not work
That is so true. And yet, when it works I feel like "That little bit of rod bending couldn't possibly throw the line all the way out there". But somehow, it does.

I'm starting to feel that when I get more distance I'm putting more power into the backcast as opposed to trying to apply power through the forward cast. Is that correct? In other words, I guess I'm getting more distance by making the backcast bend my rod more instead of trying to whip the rod forward with more force.
Old 12-31-2006, 12:38 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Right On! I learned a lot from a Professional caster and narrowed it down to three things to teach my clients for basic casting.1. Think - hammering a nail in the wall (you don't break your wrist doing that, right!)2. Imagine an invisable shelf, you are running your hand along this shelf (now you are not doing the windshield wiper thing and creating smaller loops)3. For distance casting, think about throwing a ball. To throw to someone in right in front of you requires very little arm movement. Now imagine throwing that ball across the park, you put your whole arm into it. Watch a distance caster. You will see that their whole arm is extended on both front and back casts.
Old 01-09-2007, 06:08 AM

CrystalNZ is on a distinguished road

Like you said, paying attention and suddenly yesterday it all came together and I was throwing consistent long casts,Even the weeds behind me were safe at least for one afternoon LOL.
Improvement really showed when I could fish all evening on one fly, I had stopped pounding them off on bad backcasts.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v234/CrystalNZ/

myspace.com/crystalstaxidermy
Old 01-14-2007, 12:52 PM

I just picked up Doug Swisher's DVD "Basic Fly Casting". I had to stop the DVD about half way through just so I could go outside and try it. I added about 10 feet to my cast. I've watched it all the way through now and I now have an idea of what to look for and how to try to fix it.

First of all, my "loop control" was pretty poor. I'm now trying to work on nice tight loops where the bottom and top of the loop are parallel. To do that I'm not worrying so much about distance and I'm concentrating on form. The distance will come later.

I'm a full time music teacher and fly casting distance reminds me of something I tell my students about playing fast. If we think of playing guitar fast as an analogy for casting a long distance I think this advice might be helpful. The advice is: Speed comes from control, control does not come from speed.

In music I practice control by playing slowly without any tension in my hands. I practice playing with perfect technique and I don't worry at all about how fast I'm playing. At times I'm playing incredibly slowly. But after doing it that way I find that I can automatically play fast without ever actually having practiced at that speed.

I think that the same advice may work with fly casting. So I'm going to practice with only about 30 feet of line out and get my false cast perfect. I'll work on my loop control and get that working until I'm casting with no tension in my arm, wrist or neck. Then I'll just start to add a little bit more "push" with my arm and a little bit more "snap" with my wrist and see what happens.