The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   The Fly Cast (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-cast/)
-   -   IFTD: Pond hog hero cast (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-cast/163823-iftd-pond-hog-hero-cast.html)

pegboy1 07-22-2011 11:33 PM

IFTD: Pond hog hero cast

I'm gonna be in New Orleans for this show next month. Thinking about entering this distance contest. Before I embarrass myself :D what sorts of distances do you think most entrants will be casting? Heres the rules so far.

New for 2011, the International Fly Tackle Dealer show will feature a distance fly-casting competition for all attendees. This new, fun competition will give all the “big guns” the opportunity to see who can cast an 8-weight fly rod the furthest. All competitors will use the same rod and fly line during the event at the Casting Pond.
There will be a minimum distance required to cast before moving on to the final competition where the best caster will be awarded and receive the bragging rights for the 2011 Pond Hog Hero Caster. More detailed information will soon follow.

fyshstykr 07-22-2011 11:41 PM

Re: IFTD: Pond hog hero cast

Are you promoting you rod business there or just going for the competition?

An 8wt shootout? Distance 125' to 140'??? If I remember correctly The Best In The West Shootout in SLC with a 5wt is just under 120':confused:

pegboy1 07-23-2011 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fyshstykr (Post 290236)
Are you promoting you rod business there or just going for the competition?

An 8wt shootout? Distance 125' to 140'??? If I remember correctly The Best In The West Shootout in SLC with a 5wt is just under 120':confused:

Not quite ready to be promoting the business with a show platform as of yet (only got 4wts till fall). But certainly going there to make some contacts and snoop around. So I guess I would say "kind of" ? I certainly will be wearing a logo shirt for the competition though..haha. Right now I'm topping out my 8 weight at about 120'-125' with Royal Wulff triangle steelhead 105' WF. On the grass the line gets hung a little and my nail knot catches my guides alot. I think I can get a bit more indoors with a distance 120' line for sure. Would certainly be nice if I could at least make a strong showing, but my ego doesnt want to get crushed either...haha. It would be my first competition and I might be feeling the pressure.

Guest1 07-23-2011 12:26 AM

What line are they going to be using?

pegboy1 07-23-2011 12:29 AM

Not sure, but I would have to believe it will be some sort of 120' distance line.
I think this could give me another 10' for sure.

Guest1 07-23-2011 12:35 AM

Here are the results from a previous one. I think this is the one I saw on video where Steve Rajeff did one in the 125 zone.
2008 Best of the West Casting Championship Results

pegboy1 07-23-2011 12:49 AM

Interesting. I can definately squeek 100'+ out of a 5wt quite regularly and even 110' (tooting my own horn..haha) once in a great while. I would think though that some of those "redfish rippers" in new orleans might be able to really let an 8wt line fly. :eek:

MoscaPescador 07-23-2011 02:07 AM

George Revel of Leland Fly Fishing Outfitters is one of the guys to beat here in California unless Steve Rajeff decides to show up. Here is a video of him.

Dennis

Edit: I guess since you can cast 100 feet plus, you should be in the running.

Guest1 07-24-2011 01:03 PM

Good video. Thanks.

gatortransplant 07-24-2011 03:53 PM

I think it's only fitting that someone with a business called Flying Pig Fly Rods should be the Pond Hog Hero Caster! Good luck! And thanks for the vid Dennis, even for a COMPLETE novice like myself I can see myself benefitting from such a clear presentation in the future, I'm now going to search youtube for some other videos from Leland!