The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2011, 11:33 PM

pegboy1 has a spectacular aura aboutpegboy1 has a spectacular aura about
Default IFTD: Pond hog hero cast

I'm gonna be in New Orleans for this show next month. Thinking about entering this distance contest. Before I embarrass myself what sorts of distances do you think most entrants will be casting? Heres the rules so far.

New for 2011, the International Fly Tackle Dealer show will feature a distance fly-casting competition for all attendees. This new, fun competition will give all the “big guns” the opportunity to see who can cast an 8-weight fly rod the furthest. All competitors will use the same rod and fly line during the event at the Casting Pond.
There will be a minimum distance required to cast before moving on to the final competition where the best caster will be awarded and receive the bragging rights for the 2011 Pond Hog Hero Caster. More detailed information will soon follow.
Old 07-22-2011, 11:41 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IFTD: Pond hog hero cast

Are you promoting you rod business there or just going for the competition?

An 8wt shootout? Distance 125' to 140'??? If I remember correctly The Best In The West Shootout in SLC with a 5wt is just under 120'

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 07-23-2011, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyshstykr View Post
Are you promoting you rod business there or just going for the competition?

An 8wt shootout? Distance 125' to 140'??? If I remember correctly The Best In The West Shootout in SLC with a 5wt is just under 120'
Not quite ready to be promoting the business with a show platform as of yet (only got 4wts till fall). But certainly going there to make some contacts and snoop around. So I guess I would say "kind of" ? I certainly will be wearing a logo shirt for the competition though..haha. Right now I'm topping out my 8 weight at about 120'-125' with Royal Wulff triangle steelhead 105' WF. On the grass the line gets hung a little and my nail knot catches my guides alot. I think I can get a bit more indoors with a distance 120' line for sure. Would certainly be nice if I could at least make a strong showing, but my ego doesnt want to get crushed either...haha. It would be my first competition and I might be feeling the pressure.
Old 07-23-2011, 12:26 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

What line are they going to be using?
Old 07-23-2011, 12:29 AM

Not sure, but I would have to believe it will be some sort of 120' distance line.
I think this could give me another 10' for sure.
Old 07-23-2011, 12:35 AM
Banned

Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Here are the results from a previous one. I think this is the one I saw on video where Steve Rajeff did one in the 125 zone.
2008 Best of the West Casting Championship Results
Old 07-23-2011, 12:49 AM

Interesting. I can definately squeek 100'+ out of a 5wt quite regularly and even 110' (tooting my own horn..haha) once in a great while. I would think though that some of those "redfish rippers" in new orleans might be able to really let an 8wt line fly.
Old 07-23-2011, 02:07 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

George Revel of Leland Fly Fishing Outfitters is one of the guys to beat here in California unless Steve Rajeff decides to show up. Here is a video of him.

Dennis

Edit: I guess since you can cast 100 feet plus, you should be in the running.
Old 07-24-2011, 01:03 PM
Banned

Good video. Thanks.
Old 07-24-2011, 03:53 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

I think it's only fitting that someone with a business called Flying Pig Fly Rods should be the Pond Hog Hero Caster! Good luck! And thanks for the vid Dennis, even for a COMPLETE novice like myself I can see myself benefitting from such a clear presentation in the future, I'm now going to search youtube for some other videos from Leland!