The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2007, 02:45 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: learning rod

even if we see things a little differently once in a while. Frank

LOL it works for me and my Husband.
I love reading your post also Frank and respect is there for you.
Old 01-24-2007, 03:32 PM

KRD will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the help. She loves to fish right now, just never tried the fly. I am sure that she will like it.
Old 01-24-2007, 05:48 PM

tightlines57 will become famous soon enoughtightlines57 will become famous soon enough

Better yet, get yourself a new rod and let her learn on your old rod. If she really likes fly fishing then get her a rod that will best fit her style,
Old 01-25-2007, 11:52 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tightlines57 View Post
Better yet, get yourself a new rod and let her learn on your old rod. If she really likes fly fishing then get her a rod that will best fit her style,

Sorry, but I think that is why there is less GIRL FRIENDS or WIFES fly fishing.
When my husband and I started (many years ago) He built his first fly rod, I in turn got the Sage DS(one of the nice old ones). His broke so he took the sage and I ended up with a Pflueger. I hated that rod and therefore I hated fly fishing.
Later I bought him a six piece Winston and I got the Sage back. I now loved FF cause this was the rod I originally picked.
Since then I have made my own decision on all my gear and Now I guide, I teach etc.
All I am saying, is if you want her to get into it, don't give her hand me downs, let her pick. Let her see the price.
Remember, the better outfit the easier it will be to sell or even keep for yourself.
Old 01-25-2007, 05:43 PM

tightlines57 will become famous soon enoughtightlines57 will become famous soon enough

OK, I concede. Very good point Joni. Take her along and let her pick out her rod. Something she is comfortable with.
Old 01-26-2007, 08:52 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Re: learning rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni View Post
Remember, the better outfit the easier it will be to sell or even keep for yourself.
Wait a minute, who sells their old rods, LOL? I have never sold a rod, they are like children or old friends. I kept ever the ones that are terriable to use or cast. Now, I have gave one away to my son but he had to qualify as an adoptive parant. Frank
Old 01-26-2007, 09:07 AM

Colorado Cajun is on a distinguished road

*LOL* I know what you mean Frank! I still have every rod from when I was a kid on up till now. And I'm 35. I really need to part ways with all the spining gear I have that I don't use.

Give a man a fish, he will have dinner. Teach a man to fish and he will be late for dinner. Quote by Someone. *L*
Old 01-26-2007, 10:29 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Cajun View Post
*LOL* I know what you mean Frank! I still have every rod from when I was a kid on up till now. And I'm 35. I really need to part ways with all the spining gear I have that I don't use.
Hi Cajun, I live in Florida and have a ton of spinning and casting equipment. Sometimes the best tool for the job is not a Fly Rod. Can't belive I said that. Frank
Old 01-26-2007, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
Wait a minute, who sells their old rods, LOL? I have never sold a rod, they are like children or old friends. I kept ever the ones that are terriable to use or cast. Now, I have gave one away to my son but he had to qualify as an adoptive parant. Frank

I kept ever the ones that are terriable to use or cast. How are you going to sell those! LOL
I have sold several of the rods I just don't use much anymore. Basically cause they are fantastic rods and someone should use them.
But, I don't have any inexpensive gear so to speak.
I have sold a Power Matrix and a Trout Bum, plus the Sage I started on and that Pflueger is long gone.
I gave my sister in law my custom built Silver Label 6wt. and my Trident TLS 4wt to my niece, both with the intentions of getting them interested in Fly Fishing. Don't know if that worked. I also gave my Nephew a Trident 10' 8wt and a Cabela's Stow-A-Way 4wt in exchange for a log bed.
Old 01-26-2007, 11:34 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni View Post
I kept ever the ones that are terriable to use or cast. How are you going to sell those! LOL
I have sold several of the rods I just don't use much anymore. Basically cause they are fantastic rods and someone should use them.
But, I don't have any inexpensive gear so to speak.
I have sold a Power Matrix and a Trout Bum, plus the Sage I started on and that Pflueger is long gone.
I gave my sister in law my custom built Silver Label 6wt. and my Trident TLS 4wt to my niece, both with the intentions of getting them interested in Fly Fishing. Don't know if that worked. I also gave my Nephew a Trident 10' 8wt and a Cabela's Stow-A-Way 4wt in exchange for a log bed.
Joni, some nice rods to be sure. I hope that "long bed" was a Pick-Up truck.-----Frank