The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2007, 12:06 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: learning rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
Joni, some nice rods to be sure. I hope that "long bed" was a Pick-Up truck.-----Frank
LOG bed I am a woman LOL We got the short bed pick-up (got a 2007 for Christmas) Got to put a shell on it now for those rods. Truck bed is 5'8", but we have the four doors for comfort.
Old 01-28-2007, 02:23 PM

aroostookbasser has a spectacular aura aboutaroostookbasser has a spectacular aura aboutaroostookbasser has a spectacular aura about

Go to walmart and buy her a Shakespeare 8.5 foot #5/6 starter kit for 20.00, and start her on that. Then when she has masterted the basics and still wants to fish..... buy her a Sage or an Orvis. Save your cash at the start and be sure she will stay with it. Reverse psych, buy her the rod you always wanted..... if she quits you have a new rod ...if she stays.... you have a new rod. Can't lose.....

"As The deer Thirts For Water, I thirst for you Oh Lord"

North Woods Wanderings
Adventure into the North Woods.......

"Aroostook Flyers and Tyers"
Old 01-28-2007, 02:46 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni View Post
LOG bed I am a woman LOL We got the short bed pick-up (got a 2007 for Christmas) Got to put a shell on it now for those rods. Truck bed is 5'8", but we have the four doors for comfort.
Hi Joni, I messed up a bit. Somehow I read it to say, a long bed, not a log bed. Sorry about that. -----Frank
Old 01-28-2007, 02:54 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroostookbasser View Post
Go to walmart and buy her a Shakespeare 8.5 foot #5/6 starter kit for 20.00, and start her on that. Then when she has masterted the basics and still wants to fish..... buy her a Sage or an Orvis. Save your cash at the start and be sure she will stay with it. Reverse psych, buy her the rod you always wanted..... if she quits you have a new rod ...if she stays.... you have a new rod. Can't lose.....
I think I have to disagree with you on this one. I have not cast that particular Shakespeare rod but how good can it be for $20 including a reel and line. I think it is a BIG, BIG mistake to start any new fly fisher out with a poor casting setup.-----Frank
Old 01-29-2007, 08:12 PM

taterz is on a distinguished road
Post Re: learning rod

Hello: I've been reading thru the posts, trying to get a better grip on fly fishing. I've been fishing for more years than I care to admit, but never been around fly fishing. My son bought me a fly rod for Christmas, and I've been trying since to determine what kind of reel, line, etc. The terminology is so different that I can see a long learning curve, but I'm really struggling with one thing...I don't understand what the huge advantage is to fly fishing. I'm not trying to put it down- I'm trying to validate to myself why I should invest a lot of money and time to learn a different style of fishing. I figure the posters in this forum have a reason they enjoy fly fishing more than other styles and hope they share it with me.-
Old 01-29-2007, 09:00 PM

KRD will become famous soon enough

I think the advantage is the pesentation. Total natural. even if you want to cast a live nightcrawler out, with spin cast and no weight not very far. But with fly gear you can get the weightless live worm out as far as you can cast. Saw my friends grandfather doing it one time.
Old 01-29-2007, 10:07 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by taterz View Post
Hello: I've been reading thru the posts, trying to get a better grip on fly fishing. I've been fishing for more years than I care to admit, but never been around fly fishing. My son bought me a fly rod for Christmas, and I've been trying since to determine what kind of reel, line, etc. The terminology is so different that I can see a long learning curve, but I'm really struggling with one thing...I don't understand what the huge advantage is to fly fishing. I'm not trying to put it down- I'm trying to validate to myself why I should invest a lot of money and time to learn a different style of fishing. I figure the posters in this forum have a reason they enjoy fly fishing more than other styles and hope they share it with me.-
I grew up spin/bait fishing also. No problems, I caught fish.
I picked fly fishing more for the freedom. Small fly box, tippet, tools, rod and reel. I can walk for miles and throw out the fly where I think is good. All of this you can do with spin/bait.
But, when there is a dry fly hatch coming off, and you get one to slurp that tiny fly in, then watch the bend in that typically 9 foot rod. Well that says it all.
Plus I don't get that gooey stuff under my nails and my fingers don't smell like garlic or whatever. Not even fish if I don't want to.
I am not one to through out bait, stick it between a rock or whatever, kick back and open a drink and wait, kinda gal.
I love the art form of placing that fly in just the right spot and as soft as I can.
Went fishing with my nephew, we usually are doing the worm/corn thing (Idaho of course). Up until about five years ago, I realized that I could catch more on a fly and constant action. He had so much fun watching that he went and grabbed a rod I had given him, I rigged it up with leader and a fly. We both had a very pleasant productive day.
Old 01-30-2007, 02:47 PM

Colorado Cajun is on a distinguished road

Quote:
First off, Welcome aboard!
I grew up spin fishing all my life and it wasn't until 4 years ago that I started fly fishing and I haven't looked back. With Fly fishing, you are fooling the fish with something that represents the natural food they eat. There is the exception to every rule, like attractor flies. It is hard to explain to someone the feeling of catching a fish on a fly rod. My advise is to don't get overwhelmed with all the equipment and terminology. Get someone you know with experience or hire a guide to take you out and catch a fish. Then go from there. If you don't like it, you didn't waste a bunch of time and money. (I haven't met one person yet who didn't enjoy a day on the water with a rod in their hand.) If you like it, start to persue it as a hobby. Like I mentioned, I started 4 years ago and every time I go out, I learn something new. That is also another part of fly fishing that keeps it interesting.

I guess it also depends on the species you target and the water you fish weather or not you will catch more fish flyfishing.

I noticed that you mentioned "Your Son" got you that new rod. This is a good opertunity to get your son a rod too and enjoy starting a new passion together. I'm not a fortune teller, but I see some good times in your future. *LOL*

Give a man a fish, he will have dinner. Teach a man to fish and he will be late for dinner. Quote by Someone. *L*
Old 01-30-2007, 02:53 PM

Colorado Cajun is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRD View Post
even if you want to cast a live nightcrawler out, with spin cast and no weight not very far. But with fly gear you can get the weightless live worm out as far as you can cast. Saw my friends grandfather doing it one time.

For some reason the word "cheating" comes to mine.*LOL*

Makes me think of the time when my friend with a ton of weight and live worms and a spinning rod was able to get his worm down on the bottom in a fast run and was catching fish after fish. I couldn't get my flies down to the bottom so I didn't do nearly as good.

Give a man a fish, he will have dinner. Teach a man to fish and he will be late for dinner. Quote by Someone. *L*
Old 01-30-2007, 04:53 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Hello: I figure the posters in this forum have a reason they enjoy fly fishing more than other styles and hope they share it with me.-
Hi taterz, fly fishing is not all about catching fish. In some cases it is not the most efficient method but it is almost always the most enjoyable. Let me tell you why I fly fish for trout and salmon. Fly fishing is about being in some of the most beautiful spots in the world with no one but your best friend. It is about catching the biggest fish of your life and you are the only one who knows it. It is the feeling you get when you release a monster fish and it returns to its run. You rinse your hands and think, damn that was a nice fish and what a fight. It is about losing the next monster fish that takes your size 22 nymph. It is about catching a tiny little fish that you never forget because it took the first fly you ever tied. It is about sounds, sights and feelings that only comes from fly fishing. But of all the things I love about fly fishing for trout, the best is my fishing partner of 33 years. All of these things we have shared together. I would give you my bass boat if I could fly fish one more time with my friend.-----Frank