The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2007, 09:18 PM

KRD will become famous soon enough
Default learning rod

My girlfriend wants to learn to fly fish. What weight and lenght rod should I get her? She has never cast before.
Old 01-23-2007, 08:41 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: learning rod

Shorter and lighter rods are generally recommended for ladies, due to less wrist strength being needed to cast them. Something like a 8'6" 5wt, or maybe a 8' 4wt would be a good choice. Joni would really be the best one to provide a response on this one, being both a lady and a guide of ladies, and hopefully she will chime in pretty quick.---------------------------------------------------------------------By the way, be warned that she will probably get to where she is throwing pretty casts faster than you learn to, given proper instruction. Ladies tend to accept that timing and finesse are sufficient to cast well, while we hairy legged boys tend to think more application of power will be all that is needed to make the cast work better.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 01-23-2007, 11:29 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Cliff.
After teaching 13 women last year at the Lodge, I will say, I had the best success when I put a Glass rod in their hand.
Women don't hammer a lot and that is the motion you want. One gal, darn near broke the tip of the rod with the wrist breaking. I put a rubberband around her wrist and stuck the rod butt in it. This helped a lot!
A newer light weight 7' glass 4wt rod worked fantastic. They could feel the rod load-up and they had to wait for it.
I personally feel that Fast action rods cover up a lot of our mistakes.
Women aren't a delicate as thought. They can handle those 9' five weights just fine, and I never understood the special rods, other than maybe hand size.
Old 01-23-2007, 02:02 PM

KRD will become famous soon enough

Joni-Can you give me a link to a glass rod you would recommend.

Thanks, Zak
Old 01-23-2007, 03:18 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Let me work on that one, but, Curtis has a bunch I think.
Old 01-24-2007, 08:24 AM

tightlines57 will become famous soon enoughtightlines57 will become famous soon enough

Here is a link for a glass rod from The Full Creel. I have heard good things about Diamondback rods. However, being a woman and a teacher of women Joni probably has the best advice. I have an old fiberglass that I found at an antique shop. It has a very slow response and is a lot of fun to use. http://thefullcreel.com/product_info...roducts_id=446
Old 01-24-2007, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tightlines57 View Post
Here is a link for a glass rod from The Full Creel. I have heard good things about Diamondback rods. However, being a woman and a teacher of women Joni probably has the best advice. I have an old fiberglass that I found at an antique shop. It has a very slow response and is a lot of fun to use. http://thefullcreel.com/product_info...roducts_id=446

I was going to say Diamondback would be the best choice. That GLR805 sounds like a perfect rod.
I use Lamiglass, and McFarland, but the old man builds those. He has a Steffen that is sweet, plus we have a couple of Fenwick and an old ugly Berkley.
Old 01-24-2007, 10:58 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

I don't teach woman or men how to fly cast but I don't think a $300 glass rod is the best way to start your girl friend. She may not like to fish and you now have a short Glass rod that you probably don't have a use for. You should get her a rod that fits the fishing you do in your area. If you fish small streams then the short glass rod would be a good choice. If you fish larger water then it may not be a good choice. My suggestion would be a Temple Fork Signature rod for $99. A 8' 4wt would be a good choice. I think you should get her the same weight rod you fish. That way she can use your line and reel to learn. If she falls in love with fly fishing then you can get her a reel. If she thinks it is silly or too hard then you have another rod that you can use. The Signature rod is a medium fast rod and will be easy to cast. Women are excellent casters and I would get her a more all around rod than something just because it is easy to cast. Frank
Old 01-24-2007, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
I don't teach woman or men how to fly cast but I don't think a $300 glass rod is the best way to start your girl friend. She may not like to fish and you now have a short Glass rod that you probably don't have a use for. You should get her a rod that fits the fishing you do in your area. If you fish small streams then the short glass rod would be a good choice. If you fish larger water then it may not be a good choice. My suggestion would be a Temple Fork Signature rod for $99. A 8' 4wt would be a good choice. I think you should get her the same weight rod you fish. That way she can use your line and reel to learn. If she falls in love with fly fishing then you can get her a reel. If she thinks it is silly or too hard then you have another rod that you can use. The Signature rod is a medium fast rod and will be easy to cast. Women are excellent casters and I would get her a more all around rod than something just because it is easy to cast. Frank

Frank, I can't say anything bad about TFO's they are great rods.
But, first off, the Diamond glass I mentioned is also an 8', but a five weight, which everyone that fishes glass, knows you can over line or underline to achieve what you want. Glass is the only rod I recommend that on.
Plus, if she doesn't like fishing, then he ends up with a FANTASTIC rod, or he will be able to sell it a lot easier than the TFO, in my opinion.
I have found that with FAST rods (which I know you didn't mention) people pick up bad habits. Faster rods are more forgiving of mistakes. But if you want to learn the basics and learn WHY you wait, and that you can actually feel the LOAD UP.
This might not be the answer, I just say this is what I use and "If it ain't broke....... LOL"
Old 01-24-2007, 02:35 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

[quote=Joni;8811]Frank, I can't say anything bad about TFO's they are great rods.
But, first off, the Diamond glass I mentioned is also an 8', but a five weight, which everyone that fishes glass, knows you can over line or underline to achieve what you want. Glass is the only rod I recommend that on.
Hi Joni, I saw in your first post that you were talking about a 7' rod and I missed the 8' rod in you second post. Sorry about that. The 5 weight is a great selection for a trout rod. I enjoy your post even if we see things a little differently once in a while. Frank