The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2011, 10:29 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future
Default Re: Amazing natural caster...the update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
Jack, it's a little off topic, but Best of the West ain't about distance anymore. Accuracy is the new thing for the finals now.
Keeping with the off topic theme...
Why do you think they eliminated the distance component?
In the few competitions I've tried, accuracy always had more weight in the scoring than distance but the distance casts were one heck of a lot of fun to do and to watch.
Old 07-27-2011, 04:19 PM

ncflyboy will become famous soon enoughncflyboy will become famous soon enough
Post Re: Amazing natural caster...the update.

Diver Dan,

You and your friend are an inspiration to us! Thank you for sharing your story.

Cheers,

Robert
Old 07-27-2011, 06:17 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocono View Post
It is amazing. Bring on that video!

On that 115' cast, how much line is he carrying in the air on the final backcast and how much is he shooting on the final forward cast?

Pocono
It was hard to tell with all of the lines he did it with except my Trevor Morgan 7 wt. It has a 43 1/2' head which is white and a green running line. He tried a couple of things because he was not used to my rod or my line, but he never had leass than about 50' in the air before he shot. Even when he had more than that it never relly ever got closer to the ground than about his waist. He even did it on his knees and didn't hit the ground. I'm not sure he believes me when I tell him there are not a lot of people who can cast like that. I can hit 100' and in fact hit 95' in the couple of casts I did when we were at the park. But there is no way I can come close to as far as he can cast. He has an amazing stroke. As I said that whole 10 and 2 thing is out the window with him. He is going almost flat both front and back. When he double hauls his hands end as far apart as he can get them. His casting hand stays level with the ground. No up and down movements. It would take a bit of adjusting to my style to duplicate his. My hauls are not nearly as radical as his and I stick more to the 10 and 2 thing. I may have to try serious distance casting. It's amazing to watch.
Old 07-27-2011, 07:06 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Impressive Dan!

Why not give him a good 5 wt. and see what distance he can cast it? If it's in the 110+' range, then he'd be within shooting distance of Rajeff's best on the older Best of the West competitions (approx. 120', I think).

If gear is a problem, then I'd take him to your local Fly Shop, explain how he can cast and they might give you a good loaner rod, and maybe a reel and line, just to see what the result is. Being associated with excellence in anything related to fly fishing is never a bad thing for a local shop.

Pocono
Another thing in the Best of the West Competition Finals, was it was indoors. And the lines were a SA Distance line that I'm not sure is an OTC line at 95'.
ISE Sportsman Competitions
Jackster, I think everyone got tired of the same old guy and gals throwing the line. Except for Rajeff. He's a rock star of the fly fishing world.
Old 07-27-2011, 10:00 PM
Banned

Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
If gear is a problem, then I'd take him to your local Fly Shop, explain how he can cast and they might give you a good loaner rod, and maybe a reel and line, just to see what the result is.
Pocono
I missed that line. The problem there is that there is no local fly shop. We are pretty much the only two that fly fish here. The nearest real fly shop I know of is a good 4 hour drive from here going South. I'm not sure what distance it is up in Canada. He doesn't even tell most of the guys up there he fly fishes. He said "They'd give me all kinds of grief." or something to that effect. I may have the exact words a bit off but the sentiment is the same. Might have been "guff". I wish we did have one closer but I'm afraid they'd be doomed. How long can you stay in business with two coustomers?

I just talked to him and he wanted me to mention that while the Cabela's 3 Forks rod is no Winston (His Dream rod, along with a Japanese fiberglass rod from a co. named Kabuto ) It'll "git 'er done."

Last edited by Guest1; 07-28-2011 at 12:43 AM. Reason: add something
Old 07-28-2011, 05:32 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Has he cast a Cabelas 3 Forks rod? It's not what I'd consider to be a high performance casting stick.

I understand about the fly shop problem.

Pocono
Old 07-28-2011, 10:34 AM
Banned

Quote:
Has he cast a Cabelas 3 Forks rod? It's not what I'd consider to be a high performance casting stick.

I understand about the fly shop problem.

Pocono
Yah, it's a 49 dollar rod or so. He told me to say that IT GETS THE JOB DONE. That's a $10 line on it to. That's why I say can you imagine what he could do with a good setup?
Old 07-28-2011, 12:33 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Dan: Keep working on him for a video, it sure would be nice to see him casting! That distance is way beyond what I do.

Larry

Old 07-28-2011, 12:52 PM
Banned

I think he's about there. He said he wants to do it when he has not been fishing. Fishing for a bunch screws up your distance stroke. It takes a bit of practice to get back. If I'm to film him he wants to be more practiced. I think I have him willing to do it. He said He won't even make me post video of me casting. I am going to bring a tarp or something to lay the line on next time because he had some trouble with clover flowers and long grass grabbing the line. I'm sure it cut down what was an amazing distance to begin with.
Old 07-28-2011, 02:34 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
I think he's about there. He said he wants to do it when he has not been fishing. Fishing for a bunch screws up your distance stroke. It takes a bit of practice to get back. If I'm to film him he wants to be more practiced. I think I have him willing to do it. He said He won't even make me post video of me casting. I am going to bring a tarp or something to lay the line on next time because he had some trouble with clover flowers and long grass grabbing the line. I'm sure it cut down what was an amazing distance to begin with.
Dan: I sure hope you can get a video, that would be interesting to watch, his casting stroke must be spot on!

Larry