The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2011, 12:17 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Amazing natural caster...the update.

He has agreed to it. I went casting with him today, then fishing. He's giving me pointers on putting line in the next zip code. It made me flash on the Darth Vader, Obiwan line, "I was once the learner but now I am the master." The only thing he wants now is final say on the video contents. He does not want to look like he's boasting or bragging. Little does he know it's to late, I've already done that for him.
Old 07-29-2011, 06:50 AM

pegboy1 has a spectacular aura aboutpegboy1 has a spectacular aura about

With what youve said he is ABSOLUTELY a world class caster. Give him a 120' distance line and allow him to carry 70' of line, and he will go head to head with Rajeff no problems. Allthough I have never had a 4wt line on a 6wt rod, there is no way I could get anywhere close to 115+. Thats insane distance with a 4wt line. WOW!!!
Old 07-31-2011, 02:00 PM
Banned

Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegboy1 View Post
"......allow him to carry 70' of line, and he ...."
He actually aerialized pretty much my entire Trevor Morgan line and it's 95'. He said the amount you can keep in the air does not end up being the amount you can cast. What it means is by getting an extra 40 in the air does not mean the fly will land an extra 40' away. As I had said before, he asked me to show him how to cast a fly rod summer before last. Right about 2 years ago exactly. He was amazing within an hour. He then did a great deal of looking on the internet and you tube (A great resource for many things). He said the best caster on the planet is probably a guy named Fredrik Hedman. He did 117' on a 3 wt. rod with a 3 wt. line. I found a you tube video of the guy casting. In it you can see he drops the rod below 3 o'clock on the back cast but if you look close the line still stays high. This is called a bouncing bomb. It is in the point he releases the line not where he stops the rod. I talked distance casting with my friend last night for 4 straight hours,and learned a lot about it. There are some sites where serious distance casters post and discuss the subject. He has taken what I showed him gone to these sites and left me far behind. Here is Hedman;

Last edited by Guest1; 07-31-2011 at 04:22 PM.
Old 08-06-2011, 05:21 PM
Banned

I got video of him casting yesterday, but it's not the best video. You can't really see the line and the lighting was terrible. It does show his stroke pretty well. Also he does not really want me posting it on you tube so I have to think of a different host for the video. I may try and reshoot it Sunday.
Old 08-06-2011, 05:36 PM

pegboy1 has a spectacular aura aboutpegboy1 has a spectacular aura about

You can host it through imageshack.us That way when you take it off this forum it will forever be unsearchable and will never be found.
Old 08-06-2011, 08:38 PM
Banned

Thanks, looking it up now.
Old 08-12-2011, 10:21 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Dan,

There are also two other private options on youtube uploads. One is "unlisted" where the video owner sends out a link to the video to whoever he wants.

The other is where you send out a password. I think you can also limit the number of viewings. You can also delete the video anytime you want to.

So those are some more options.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 08-13-2011, 02:38 AM
Banned

OK, here it is at last. Keep in mind, he asked me just a tad over 2 years ago to show him how to cast a fly rod. Now he's giving me tips. The photo at the end is actually my Trevor Morgan line on my rod. At the bottom of the photo is the backing knot.

" title="Distance Cast video by fishnwflies - Photobucket" target="_blank">Distance Cast video by fishnwflies - Photobucket
Old 08-13-2011, 10:35 PM

hillbilly rick is on a distinguished road

Inspiring,
Wish I could get half that much. Boy, do I have a lot to learn.
Old 08-13-2011, 10:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbilly rick View Post
Wish I could get half that much. .
I'm pretty sure I can help you get half that much. Actually, my friend told me that getting past 100' is easy. If you can get 50 or 60 in the air controlled, then the rest comes easy. Then he showed me a couple of things and I shot my whole line out of the rod for the first time ever. Up till then I did 90 to 95 pretty easy and 100 on a good day, but cracking that was like a wall. Line speed is a big part of it. One of these days I may be able to talk him into doing a tutorial on distance casting. He learned it from watching videos on the internet and websites like Sexy Loops. He sure didn't get it from me.