The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2011, 05:33 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Amazing natural caster...the update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
Line speed is a big part of it.
Dan,

I agree, in fact I think that the ability to generate high line speed is the largest factor in distance casting.

I watched Steve Rajeff at the New Jersey Fly Fishing Syposium last January and I was amazed at the fact that as he carried more line in the air, his line speed actually increased. For a lot of us it's just the opposite; when there's more line in the air, line speed drops.

He's a big guy and he's certainly muscling the rod to get that kind of distance. Looks good to me!

Pocono
Old 08-14-2011, 09:37 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Dan,

Just saw the video. Great castiing. Thanks, Dan. I love to watch poetry in motion.

Your buddy, in addition to being very strong, is very fast (fast twitch muscles). I'd guess, judging from the start of his backcast in particular (and him being Canadian and having friction tape) that he played a lot of hockey as a kid - if not, probably lacrosse or baseball. If none of the above, shame on him, he should have

I was able to download that video and get my editing software to play it. When I get the chance, I'll pull a few stills that I think will illustrate the similarities between fly casting turnaround, catching a baseball, lacrosse ball or taking a pass wtih a hockey stick.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 08-14-2011, 11:41 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks. I'm just glad he didn't make me post my own casting. It's like Poultry in motion. I have a couple of photos I'll post here later. He has been toying with the idea of making a hockey stick grip on a fly rod. He brought a spey rod length piece to my house and I have to admit it feels really good. He said "they get enough control to put a puck in the top corner of the net so it should make a good grip."
Old 08-15-2011, 11:21 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

That video sure convinced me he is capable of the long casts as claimed. What a powerhouse!
While watching him I couldn't help but think of the fact that he and Rajeff are both built like fire hydrants and loaded with the fast-twitch muscles that wjc mentioned. They're both built like sprinters which means people like me have half a chance against them if casting competions start involving casting steadily for say... 6-8 hours!
Good stuff. That guy is a BRUTE!
Old 08-15-2011, 11:41 PM
Banned

Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure he wanted me to say this, but I will and hope he does not mind. When I say these distances were what they were, it was because I taped them. After he basically blew my mind with these far and long casts, he took the top half of his 6 wt. 3 Forks rod and the $10 K-Mart 4 wt. line and still passed 100'. Being that I am the only other person he has ever seen cast a fly rod in person, I'm still not sure he believes me when I tell him that there are damn few people who can cast those distances. One more thing. He was not warmed up when I filmed this either. I had to go someplace right away and he was late because he got hung up at customs. He's even better when he has more than 3 minutes to warm up. Between getting the time to film it, days of being really windy and other problems, we did this fast just because I had said I'd post it and it had been a considerable amount of time already. I would like to get a better video when he has had some time to warm up and get into his groove. I'm seriously impressed that he got to this point from watching videos and reading on the internet. As I said before, I taught him to cast but he has way passed me up.
Old 08-16-2011, 07:03 PM

pegboy1 has a spectacular aura aboutpegboy1 has a spectacular aura about

Very Nice!! Very very nice!!
Old 08-17-2011, 02:57 PM

texastroutbum has a spectacular aura abouttexastroutbum has a spectacular aura abouttexastroutbum has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
I watched Steve Rajeff at the New Jersey Fly Fishing Syposium last January and I was amazed at the fact that as he carried more line in the air, his line speed actually increased. For a lot of us it's just the opposite; when there's more line in the air, line speed drops.
Hey Allan,
I surely belong to ďa lot of usĒ whose line speed decease as more line is in the air. I know that the answer to prevent is do a double haul. But seems to me that is not enough. Maybe I need to do a double haul plus something. Do you or any of you have any idea about it?
If some of you say that I need to get a faster rod, I will document it and show to my wife why I need one more rod.

By the way the natural casterís performance is superb.
Old 08-17-2011, 03:06 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Dan: Thanks for posting the videos, they were fun to watch. It is just amazing to watch your friend cast, he generates so much line speed.

Larry

Old 08-18-2011, 01:48 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
, he generates so much line speed.

Larry
Like I said, it was any faster it would be traveling back in time.
Old 08-18-2011, 06:04 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by texastroutbum View Post
Hey Allan,
I surely belong to “a lot of us” whose line speed decease as more line is in the air. I know that the answer to prevent is do a double haul. But seems to me that is not enough. Maybe I need to do a double haul plus something. Do you or any of you have any idea about it?
If some of you say that I need to get a faster rod, I will document it and show to my wife why I need one more rod.

By the way the natural caster’s performance is superb.

Hi Texas,

Yes, from my standpoint there is more to it than just double hauling.

You need to get a lot faster and stronger casting stroke. The distances that Dan's guy is putting out there don't come from just letting the rod to the work. He's visibly muscling the rod to get the line speed up; something that you have to do when you have say 60-70' of line in the air. That's the part of Rajeff's casting stroke that was so surprising to me. He, like Dan's guy (what's his name anyway, Dan? Did I miss it?), has a lot of upper body strength as well as what looks like the fast twitch muscle structure that's been referred to. You can see the effort in Dan's guy's casting stroke; it's more subtle with Rajeff, probably because he's been doing it for so long. His hauls are, in some cases very short, but very precise.

When Rajeff puts out his backcast, the line is almost perfectly parallel to the ground; it has almost no sag in it at all. When you create a situation like that, with the line moving back at a good clip, you actually start to load the rod before you initiate the forward casting stroke. Doing this means that you're gonig to be loading the rod more and more as you accelerate through your casting stroke. You want the rod maximally loaded when you fire off your final forward cast. In theory, if everyone's casting stroke was the same (which they're not), then it would come down to which rod could handle the greatest degree of loading. But, if you watch great casters, it's clear that at this point in the sport, it's the individual characteristics of each caster's casting stroke that really makes the difference. Dan's guy is using very inexpensive gear and getting great distance with it.

You also need to be spot on with your casting stroke timing, because it's the weight of the line that's in the air and the momentum imparted to it by the casting stroke that pulls the rest of the line out during the final forward cast.

So, I guess my short answer would be that it's a combination of putting more power into the casting stroke, getting your timing perfected and having a rod that's fast enough to let you store and manage the additional power (generally, a faster rod.....)

Jackster can give you a better answer to your questions.

Pocono