The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2011, 12:17 PM

texastroutbum has a spectacular aura abouttexastroutbum has a spectacular aura abouttexastroutbum has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Amazing natural caster...the update.

Thanks Allan. In summary, I should do P90X, a home gym program, and get one of those fast stick.
Old 08-18-2011, 01:23 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

..............that's what I'd tell my wife.

Pocono
Old 08-23-2011, 05:10 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
Jack, it's a little off topic, but Best of the West ain't about distance anymore. Accuracy is the new thing for the finals now.

Keeping with the off topic theme...
Why do you think they eliminated the distance component?
The show promoters are playing to the public misconception that there is no correlation between distance and accuracy in an effort to get more people involved in competitilve castilng.

Who wins the accuracy segment at whatever event he enters? Steve Rajeff. And the guys behind him are the same who are up there at the top of the distance competition.

At last year's world championships in Europe, Steve placed 7th in distance, but was so much better than the entire field in accuracy that he could have quit casting 3/4 of the way through the targets and still won.

Distance casters are like all athletes. They don't go out and try to throw as far as they can on the first cast, they warm up first. And they are aiming at something on every cast - during warmup and distance casts. Most also fish a lot more than most of us.

It would make more sense to me to split the competition into two segments - distance and accuracy. Then the smaller, less muscular guys wouldn't have to even enter the distance segment. But I seriously doubt if the results would change much.

Like Lefty said: "There is no disadvantage in being able to cast far."

Cheers,
Jim
Old 08-23-2011, 01:53 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Jim... quick question... what the heck are you doing up at 4:10 AM?
Old 08-23-2011, 03:51 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocono View Post
Dan,

I agree, in fact I think that the ability to generate high line speed is the largest factor in distance casting.

I watched Steve Rajeff at the New Jersey Fly Fishing Syposium last January and I was amazed at the fact that as he carried more line in the air, his line speed actually increased. For a lot of us it's just the opposite; when there's more line in the air, line speed drops.

He's a big guy and he's certainly muscling the rod to get that kind of distance. Looks good to me!

Pocono
We all generate high line speeds, generating them is easy. The problem is most caster, me included lose the line speed before we can transfer it to the forward cast. More line in the air means we need to slow down until the entire line is moving. We tend to get nervous and speed up when we have more line out. This crushes the line speed and the loop crashes.

"Remember: No cast can be made until you move the END of the fly line."
- Lefty
Old 08-23-2011, 06:40 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Jackster,

It was 5:10 not 4:10 I never get up at 4 unless I'm going fishing.

Actually, I'm trying to wean myself off smokes, so when I get close to my last one, I go to bed, otherwise, I'll be obsessing, then make excuses - like I'll have the first one for tomorrow now.

So I keep going to bed earlier and earlier. I'll probably either be on night shift by the end of next week, or be sleeping 23 hours a day by then.

You young guys out there who smoke, don't wait forever to try to quit.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 09-28-2011, 06:42 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjc View Post
The show promoters are playing to the public misconception that there is no correlation between distance and accuracy in an effort to get more people involved in competitilve castilng.

Who wins the accuracy segment at whatever event he enters? Steve Rajeff. And the guys behind him are the same who are up there at the top of the distance competition.

At last year's world championships in Europe, Steve placed 7th in distance, but was so much better than the entire field in accuracy that he could have quit casting 3/4 of the way through the targets and still won.

Distance casters are like all athletes. They don't go out and try to throw as far as they can on the first cast, they warm up first. And they are aiming at something on every cast - during warmup and distance casts. Most also fish a lot more than most of us.

It would make more sense to me to split the competition into two segments - distance and accuracy. Then the smaller, less muscular guys wouldn't have to even enter the distance segment. But I seriously doubt if the results would change much.

Like Lefty said: "There is no disadvantage in being able to cast far."

Cheers,
Jim
I agree Jim,

Unless the event is purely distance such as those performed at fly tackle shows, "official" tournament fly casting competitions are more than distance. They are accuracy at varying distances and some also an obstruction with the target on the other side so you must curve the cast to land the fly on target.

The ACA is our National Cahnmpionship.

"The goal is to get the highest combined accuracy and distance score within the allotted time.* Accuracy targets will range in distance from 20-55 feet with a bonus cast at 60-80 feet and an obstacle cast at 30 feet.* Distance will also be scored, make as many casts as you can in the time given and the two longest casts will be scored."

American Casting Association Competition

Rules

Steve Rajeff

"Let me say right now, this is not an easy competition. 70-feet is a long cast with a bass bug.* But distance alone is not enough.* Neither is accuracy.* Distance and accuracy both conspire with time constraints and a limit on the number of false casts a caster is allowed.* Here is an excerpt from the ACA rule book describing the event:

"Casting one-handed the caster stars the complete round of 6 final forward casts with the nearest target.* The caster may false cast as many times as required to measure distance to the nearest target before making a final forward cast.* The caster shall proceed to the next nearest target and so on until all 6 targets have been cast using no more than two (2) false casts.
"At the conclusion of the sixth final forward cast or round one, the caster shall retrieve the line. The caster begins with bug in hand and no more than two (2) feet of line extended beyond the tip of the rod.* The caster shall repeat the procedure of round one except that only one (1) false cast shall be allowed between targets two through six.

"A perfect score of 100 points consists of 12 casts where the bug falls within or hits any part of the target.* For each foot or fraction of a foot missed, one (1) demerit is charged.* A maximum demerit of 2 shall be called fro target one through five.* Target six shall have a maximum demerit of 5."* Of course additional demerits are charged if your forward cast ticks the water, if the caster takes extra false casts or if the entire process takes more than the allotted 5 minutes to finish casting to all six targets twice!* I'm sure glad the fish don't score my casts this way!* The top five finishers in this event all scored between 94 and 97 points.*"

Tournament Fly Casting, ACA Nationals with Steve Rajeff

Anyone thinking about competing with Steve Rajeff better brush up on accuracy and distance with minimal false casts.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 09-28-2011, 11:50 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I've got some interesting updates here. My Canadian friend bought a couple of Barrio lines. A 3 wt. and a 5 wt. line. The 3 wt is I beleive an 85' line. He told me that he tried to aerialize the entire line and could do it but it was hard to get up to the whole line. Once it was there he could keep it there. Today he called me and said "I had a Eureka moment!" By accident he missed the first stripper guide. It was easy to get the entire line aerialized. When Cabela's had the Three Forks rods on sale for $29.95, he bought quite a few with doing modifications to some in mind. He yanked the first stripper off one and wants to make the second bigger. He is also thinking about doing a really small tamer guide farther up the rod. I used to argue with him about stuff like this, but not any more. Now I nod and say "I can do that on it." H esaid there are three things he really liked about the Barrio lines. They are a great distance line but cost much less than a line like a MED or Rio Gold. The loop rolls out really well at a great distance, and one other thing I seem to have forgotten. The Barrio lines are a white line and should show up on video pretty well. We are going to shoot another video with the Barrio. I want to do one where he is just keeping a pile of line aerealized. I also hit him with the idea of doing a back cast shoot for distance. I think he could actually get more distance going backwards. His back cast is unreal.
Old 09-29-2011, 12:45 PM

pegboy1 has a spectacular aura aboutpegboy1 has a spectacular aura about

You really need to talk your friend into getting a top distance rod in his hands. I believe it will make a world of difference...

Imagine what he could do with a TCX..
Old 09-29-2011, 02:33 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegboy1 View Post
You really need to talk your friend into getting a top distance rod in his hands. I believe it will make a world of difference...

Imagine what he could do with a TCX..
I'll bet he would would be in the top of the field. He's in the top of it casting..... I'd like to say junk, but he says it's good despite the cost. The $10 K-Mart line is an SA line. Actually it's $10.59 plus tax. The Three Forks rods are pretty fast action in spite of the rediculously low cost. He also thinks the rod only contributes a small amount to what you can cast. I would like to take him to a casting competition someplace and let him try some good stuff. He might change his mind on some of it. I used to argue with him on some of this stuff like good vs. cheap rod, but I don't anymore. It's tough to argue with a guy when he can take the top half of a rod Cabela's had on sale for $29.95 and make a cast of over 100'. Better yet do it on his knees. At that point you kinda see his view that the rod is not contributing that greatly in it. By the way he thinks with a bit of practice with his new Barrio 5 wt line he will be able to carry 100' in the air. I've seen him aerialize pretty much my whole 95' Trevor Morgan line and he was not familiar with either the line or the rod so I think he can probablty do it.