The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2011, 12:59 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Amazing natural caster...the update.

Thanks for joining and your reply. You are something of a hero of his. I will show him what you said. By the way he was not wearing brace, but he had sweat bands to keep from getting sweat on the line or rod. I think it's amazing that just a bit over two years ago, he asked me "How do you cast those?" and he has already advanced to this point. He has done it watching video of people like yourself, Fredrik Hedman, Paul Arden and a few others. Any tips you can give him, like the creep before the forward cast, are more than appreciated. He was beyond what I could do to help him in pretty much no time at all.

Again I want to thank you for joining the forum and your reply to the post. I hope you stick around on here. Being the casting 'Rock Star' you are, we can always use the advice of experts like yourself.
Old 10-25-2011, 03:34 PM

chuckfluffer is on a distinguished road

My pleasure. If you have any specific questions my email address is on my blog.

Rock star and Hero? That gave my wife a good laugh.

Mike
Old 10-25-2011, 04:38 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Hi Mike,

Hope all is well over there, and good to see you over here! It's too bad the Denver show is no longer attracting distance casters like you. If Bill is reading, Mike is the guy he should be courting as an internet coach.

I saw his influence immediately in another US distance caster who came a huge way after meeting Mike in the UK, I think.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 10-27-2011, 01:19 AM
Banned

Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckfluffer View Post
Rock star and Hero? That gave my wife a good laugh.

Mike
If I can help you impress her some more, just let me know.

I have hit a snag in my posting the video. Bill is his own worst critic. I put the video we shot an a DVD so we could look at it on a screen bigger than the 2.5 in. diagonal on the camera, and he hated it. I think it looks great. He carried 90' with a 3 wt, but the lighting kind of stunk. It's very hard to see the line. That's not what he hated. He thinks he was not smooth enough. Same with the 100' carry on the 5 wt. The lighting was better, unfortunately the wind started blowing and he had to work pretty hard to overcome it. Again he did not like the way he looked casting. I promised not to post video he had not approved, so despite how much I like it, it could be a while before it gets reshot.
Old 10-27-2011, 01:40 AM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
If I can help you impress her some more, just let me know.

I have hit a snag in my posting the video. Bill is his own worst critic. I put the video we shot an a DVD so we could look at it on a screen bigger than the 2.5 in. diagonal on the camera, and he hated it. I think it looks great. He carried 90' with a 3 wt, but the lighting kind of stunk. It's very hard to see the line. That's not what he hated. He thinks he was not smooth enough. Same with the 100' carry on the 5 wt. The lighting was better, unfortunately the wind started blowing and he had to work pretty hard to overcome it. Again he did not like the way he looked casting. I promised not to post video he had not approved, so despite how much I like it, it could be a while before it gets reshot.
I havn't chimed in on this yet, but I have followed both threads about this since you started it last year. Now I'm reading that this guy is carrying 100' of fly line in the air with a 5wt!!! I am lucky to get MOST of a 100' fly line to shoot out; I can only carry 65-70 feet in the air before it gets really squirrly on me. I've gone back out to the yard and tried to emulate his stroke from the first video posting, but it just isn't happening for me, not even on my BIIX. I can't wait to see more; it is phenomenal!!!
Old 10-27-2011, 08:04 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Most WF lines do not lend themselves to a long carry. The competition lines have a head length of over 70'. If you don't have one, a double taper line is better for practicing long carries than WF lines designed for fishing.
Old 10-29-2011, 05:17 AM

chuckfluffer is on a distinguished road

Hey Jim, fancy meeting you here.

Lines are more important than the rod, usually. For long carry a DT or SA Mastery expert distance (MED) or the Barrio GT140. Rio also make a distance line but I have not used it. A lot of short or mid length bellied WF's hinge once you are carrying into the running line although there are some exceptions Like the Cortland 444 or Greys Platinum.

Filming yourself for the first time can be a bit traumatic. You never appear to be doing what you thought you were doing. Head on shots are the most instructive you can see the tracking, hand path, wrist twist and all sorts of interesting stuff.

Slo mo's are really useful for seeing the little details you miss at normal speed.

Mike
Old 10-31-2011, 12:14 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckfluffer View Post
Filming yourself for the first time can be a bit traumatic. You never appear to be doing what you thought you were doing.
Mike
Traumatic is a good way to describe the reaction Bill had to watching the video. As I said though, I thought it looked great. The lighting sucked on the 3 wt. carry, and it was windy when he did the 5 wt. 100' carry, which I'm sure made him work harder at it than he normally has to. The fact he can do it at all impresses me. Hopefully we can get some more video where the lighting is good, the wind is not blowing, and Bill lets me post it. We are fast running out of time where a white line will show up in a video. Pretty soon everything here will be covered in white.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausablebrown View Post
I can only carry 65-70 feet in the air before it gets really squirrly on me.
That actually might be all you need to carry. Try and get good line speed, let a little line slip on the last backcast and shoot it. That's how he got me going past 100'. Carry and final distance are not a linear related thing. More carry does not mean more distance.