The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2011, 01:22 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Amazing natural caster...the update.

Some of you may remember that summer before last I taught a guy how to cast a fly rod, and literally within an hour was casting pretty much all of an 80 foot line. He had the backing knot out of the reel but couldn't quite get the 2 or 3 feet to go. It's a thread called Amazing natural caster. I went with him to the park today and he tried casting my 8 wt. rod with my Trevor Morgan 7 wt. line on it. It is a 95' line and he shot 25' of backing out of the rod. It gets better. He then took a Cabela's cheap model 6 wt. rod with a $10 K-Mart 4 wt. line and did 116' and 117' casts repeatedly. I taped them. It gets better still. He then took just the top half of the 6 wt. rod and cast about 105'. I'm going to get video of him casting and if he lets me I'll post it. It's pretty amazing to watch somebody shoot the backing out of the rod. I think if you gave this guy a top of the line rod and a good distance line he'd be able to compete with the best of them.
Old 07-25-2011, 05:25 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Amazing natural caster...the update.

Sounds great! I'd like to see that video if he's up for letting you post it.

By the way, do you plan to be in Maine in the near future..............if so, I could use a casting lesson!

Pocono
Old 07-25-2011, 09:09 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Get that guy a ticket to the Best of the West casting competition. It seems as though you found the new Steve Rajeff.
Really... his cast are in a range few humans can do.
Old 07-25-2011, 01:59 PM
Banned

Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocono View Post
Sounds great! I'd like to see that video if he's up for letting you post it.

By the way, do you plan to be in Maine in the near future..............if so, I could use a casting lesson!

Pocono
I wanted to video tape him right then but he didn't want me to. I'm gonna work on him.

As for the lesson from me, I don't think I was that instumental in his casting abilities. He now casts WAYYYYY farther than I do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackster View Post
Get that guy a ticket to the Best of the West casting competition. It seems as though you found the new Steve Rajeff.
I keep telling him that, but because we are the only 2 fly fishermen around here ( I may be the only other one he's ever seen in person ) he thinks, well his exact words; "I think more people can cast that far than you think can." His casting stroke is something to watch, and he sure didn't get it from me. I told him 10 and 2 he's going pretty close to 3 and 9. When he hauls his arms end extended with his hands as far apart as you can get them. The line never gets below about waist level and his loops are seriously tight. I have never set there and watched anyone shoot backing out of a rod before. I would love to see what he can do with a good setup. The thing with the rod tip and a $10 K-Mart 4 wt line going over 100' blows my mind. He did it more than once and in fact did it from his knees and still didn't hit the ground with the line. I hit the ground standing up using the whole rod all the time.

I should add, he has been watching videos of guys casting. He likes the sexy loops website and says there are guys throwing way farther than what wins contests here. I may have to ake a look around there.
Old 07-26-2011, 04:46 PM
Banned

This is a photo of my Trevor Morgan 8 wt. line out of the rod. It's a 95' line. By the way, his line speed....if it was any faster it would be traveling back in time. This was not his best cast either.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:10 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackster View Post
Hope to see that video posted soon Dan.
Jack, it's a little off topic, but Best of the West ain't about distance anymore. Accuracy is the new thing for the finals now.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:25 PM
Banned

He said he would agree to me posting video of him, but I have to say he does not share my political views (He's a Canadian) and post casting of myself with it. Term one I'm OK with but term two.....well, maybe. I can't cast anywhere near as far as he can. As far as his accuracy, he was hitting the same spot over and over with the real long casts. I think he's a pretty accurate caster.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:27 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
This is a photo of my Trevor Morgan 8 wt. line out of the rod. It's a 95' line. By the way, his line speed....if it was any faster it would be traveling back in time. This was not his best cast either.
Click the image to open in full size.

Impressive Dan!

Why not give him a good 5 wt. and see what distance he can cast it? If it's in the 110+' range, then he'd be within shooting distance of Rajeff's best on the older Best of the West competitions (approx. 120', I think).

If gear is a problem, then I'd take him to your local Fly Shop, explain how he can cast and they might give you a good loaner rod, and maybe a reel and line, just to see what the result is. Being associated with excellence in anything related to fly fishing is never a bad thing for a local shop.

Pocono
Old 07-26-2011, 10:06 PM
Banned

He was doing 115' + with a Cabela's Three Forks 6 wt, about a $40 rod I think and an 82' $10 K-Mart 4 wt line. If you gave hime a good distance line and a good rod I'll bet he'd give Rajeff a run for his money. By the way he was shooting the line from the ground. The grass was long and the clover had flowers which grab line in a really bad way and he was still getting that kind of distance. Also, I took a tape measure and marked a hundred foot before he started casting. He blew by that first cast. He even passed the hundred foot mark with just the tip of that Cabela's 6 wt and the 4' line. Amazing.
Old 07-27-2011, 05:53 AM

It is amazing. Bring on that video!

On that 115' cast, how much line is he carrying in the air on the final backcast and how much is he shooting on the final forward cast?

Pocono