Ever pick up the wrong gear? or Waking up on time helps.......

Pocono

Reaction score
Marty and I went Smallmouth fishing yesterday on the upper Androscoggin (Andro) River. We were up early; but later than we planned since the alarm clock didn't go off; or at least we never heard it. While I was getting my gear together, I grabbed the reel that I usually fish on my 9'0" 7 wt. TCX, and noticed that all it had was backing on it. So, no biggie, grab the right line, quick nail knot and I'll be all set - right? Well almost...........

We started fishing poppers on the top from a drift boat about 7:00AM and I was having a devil of a time getting my casts out there with anything even approaching good distance; and most of the upper Andro Smallmouth fishing is along the banks; up under trees, shady spots, the backside of rocks, etc. So, I spent the first hour or so just getting my cast down to somewhere reasonable. Timing seemed to be much more important than it ever has been up to this point and the hauls needed to be tiny compared to what I'm used to. Keeping less line in the air and getting a better shoot turned out to be a helpful combination.

We got some nice fish; including a couple of 3 pounders that the guide pronounced as: "Righteous Andro Smallmouths". All in all, we had a blast and a great day on the water.

When we got back home I was still puzzling over why I had so much trouble casting poppers for the first part of the morning; no problem when we went underwater with 250 gr. sink tips (we caught most of our fish on streamers; love that old Doubly Bunny!). But the popper / topwater stuff had almost been like learning to cast all over again; awkward, frustrating, embarrassing, etc. As I cut the line from the backing and wound it back onto the plastic spool, I glanced at the face of the spool to read the line weight again. Yup, Sage Performance Taper II; WF7-F. Couldn't have been the line.

But, I happened to drop the spool while I was winding the line back on it and on the backside I found............another designation: DT4F!

Yikes, all of the time that I'd been topwater fishing, I was throwing poppers with a DT4-F line on a 7 wt. TCX! :rolleyes:

It did work and it brought some decent fish to the net, but it wasn't easy. Next time, I'll set two alarm clocks and maybe lay off the vodka tonics the night before! ;)

Pocono

Jimmie

Reaction score
:rolleyes:

It did work and it brought some decent fish to the net, but it wasn't easy. Next time, I'll set two alarm clocks and maybe lay off the vodka tonics the night before! ;)

Pocono
Nope, not the vodka tonics. Those things are gatagorized as health food (almost like gingko biloba). Never been a day that I didn't get a lot smarter drinking those:).

bigjim5589

Reaction score
I recall leaving my reel at home once! Headed out to fish for bass. Grabbed the rod but forgot the reel. I had spinning tackle that was also taken along for some panfish, so at least got to fish, but didn't get to cast a fly!

Rip Tide

Reaction score
I recall leaving my reel at home once! Headed out to fish for bass. Grabbed the rod but forgot the reel.
Been there twice, two days in a row matter of fact.
I was at the same stream, only 8 miles from the house both times and went home to get it.
Never did it again

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Allan: Great story, but I sure feel your pain! That just had to be frustrating, glad you finally figured out what was causing all the issues. I'm surprised you were able to compensate that well considering you were throwing poppers.

Larry

driftaway

Reaction score
Was sneaking gear out of the house to fish for trout after a short day of work. When i got there found a bunch of the guys thst are considered icons when it comes to fishing this river. So i pull out of my case for all to see my 8wt rod and reel outfit i use for steelhead:faint:

mudbug

Reaction score
I had the opposite problem.

I was heading up for a 3 day trip and late the night before I remembered that I hadn't put my new intermediate sink line on my spare spool for my 6 wt. I was hoping to chuck some streamers early morning and late night for bug cruisers so I decided to get it done.

I fished it a few times during the trip and it never really felt right, I had a bit of trouble with it.

A week after I got home I got the spare spool I had ordered for my 8 wt and I grabbed the sinking line I had bought for it. Ooops, I found an empty box, the 8 wt sinker was on my 6 wt. :confused:

Pocono

Reaction score
Nope, not the vodka tonics. Those things are gatagorized as health food (almost like gingko biloba). Never been a day that I didn't get a lot smarter drinking those:).
You're probably right there, Jimmie, I'll reconsider that idea; maybe even as early as tonight............:rolleyes:

Larry & J-P, It wasn't pretty; that's for sure, but it did manage to bring in some good fish. I won't be doing that again. I have a Rio Smallnouth WF7F line on its way to me now. ;) I may give the lower Andro a shot this weekend; we just got some rain yesterday and it may bring the water back up a little.

I also forgot my camera this weekend or I would have snapped some pics of the river and the fish. The upper Andro at Dixfield is a nice piece of water; an easy float and wadable in many sections. Love those Clackercraft drift boats!

Pocono

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Allan,

I'm pretty sound on rod and reel all except that trip last year when I left the rod in the truck :D If you read the story you know what I'm remembering here, if not.......... http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/f...9-sometimes-you-have-work-what-youve-got.html

It sounds like you worked with what you had Allan and enjoyed the day also. I think it's the days that things don't go exactly as planned that make for the best of memories, at least they always garner a smile when we remember them.

Ard

wjc

Reaction score
Well this has nothing to do with fishing, but last night I couldn't sleep because the damn chirping that smoke alarms do every now and then. So I got up and pulled out the battery of the one I thought it was . No sooner did I get in bed it happened again, so I did the other bedroom one. Still chirping so I shut off the breakers.

Finally, I discovered what it was on the fourth trip, this new disposable cell phone I'd bought had the same chirping noise. Some nights you just can't win.

Cheers,
Jim

yatahey

Reaction score
I keep all my gear in a giant hockey bag and sort out what I need for the day when I get to the river. Great planning right? No so fast Yat. One day last year in anticipation of a trip I took my vest out of the bag and rearranged and cleaned it out, went to bed, grabbed the bag in the morning and off I went. After an hour drive, I got to the river, strung up my rod, wadered up and reached for my vest....no vest....I left it sitting on the coffee table the night before. Dooh!!!

Pocono

Reaction score
Allan,

I think it's the days that things don't go exactly as planned that make for the best of memories, at least they always garner a smile when we remember them.

Ard
Ard, I agree with that.

I think that when you stop and look back on your life, you probably won't remember a single day that you were doing the ordinary things, but you'll probably remember all of the days that you were doing something special and the comical, screw-up days definitely fall into the "special" category.

Having said that...............I won't make that same comical, s-u again! ;)

Pocono