The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2011, 10:55 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future
Default Re: Critique Video: 105' cast

Pegboy,

Either your camera isn't takiing the standard 29 frames per second or that website is using too much compression because each frame is played three times before changing.

But your backcast looks really good - that's the biggest part of the battle. The reason for that is that you are leading well with your elbow and moving horizontally WITHOUT rotation, loading the rod well before your rotation and haul, and therefore getting good line speed and a tight backcast loop.

You are not carrying enough line there for a long cast, but your backcast can certainly handle more line in the air.

It's hard to tell from the video, but my guess is that on your forward cast you are not leading with your elbow and are starting your rotation too soon. When you start too soon, you don't have the power of your body helping you accelerate into the power snap at the end, and your haul starts too soon as well as Jackster mentioned.

If you ever have noticed a snapshot of a baseball pitcher taken during the delivery when the ball is next to his ear - he looks like he's throwing like a girl (or a sissy). It's because his elbow is leading the throw AND his forearm is still parallel to the ground behind him.

During your repositioning move between casting strokes you don't want to eat up any casting arc at all with any slow rotation - rotational acceleration is the main ingredient for a long cast.

Another thing I think you may be doing on the forward cast is swinging the rod in a slight arc to your left. It appears that your backcast is more vertical and with straight tracking, but your forward cast looks slightly sidearm with a mild arc in your tracking.

It also seems that your tempo is very fast, even for that short carry. You may be starting the forward cast just a bit too soon.

An lastly, the reason for the tail or near-tail on the last cast is that you are breaking the 180 degree rule with a high trajectory backcast and a high trajectory forward cast. You need to either aim your backcast lower with high velocity (which you are certainly capable of) or aim your forward cast with a lower trajectory, or a combination of both.

Despite all the above, most of which is nothing but guesswork, your casting is really very good.

One thing I like to do when practicing, or starting out a day fishing, is to stand with my feet exactly perpendicular to the direction of the cast and start working out line false casting using as little force as possible to get tight loops that unroll at the height I want. I shoot a little line with each stroke and continue that until I have as much carry as I can comfortably handle, Then I shoot as much as I can from that position - without moving my feet.

Give it a try sometime and it may surprise you how far the line will go with very little effort. Without any footwork at all to distract you, you can concentrate on tracking and loop shape. In fact, Lasse Karlsson uses that stance even in distance competitions.

You are doing a great job and are a fine caster already. Keep us posted, and don't forget to go fishing.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 08-07-2011, 05:26 PM

pegboy1 has a spectacular aura aboutpegboy1 has a spectacular aura about

Jim,
Great ctitique!! Those are the types of things that I can't see, and are better picked up on by an outside sourse. Thanks !!! I will work on some of those things and check back in!!

Thanks Again!!
Old 08-07-2011, 11:58 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjc View Post
don't forget to go fishing.

Cheers,
Jim
Ditto. I just said the same to my Canadian friend.
Old 08-08-2011, 02:27 PM

Krebster is on a distinguished road

I need to video tape myself. It really is a great way to learn.
Old 08-11-2011, 07:38 PM

pegboy1 has a spectacular aura aboutpegboy1 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjc View Post
....... and don't forget to go fishing.

Cheers,
Jim
Ha! The way you can tell for sure that I don't miss many opportunities to go fishing is to look at my "bratwurst" white legs as opposed to my tan arms. Breathable or not the sun just doesn't penatrate those waders.....ha ha ha.....