The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2011, 04:48 PM

pegboy1 has a spectacular aura aboutpegboy1 has a spectacular aura about
Default Critique Video: 105' cast

Heres video of my casting distance of about 105'. Not my furthest, but enough I think for some of you to identify some things I could be doing better to push out a little more line. This is with one of my 9ft fast action 8wts. The line is a Royal Wulff 105' triangle taper steelhead from a few years back. The casts are to the backing and no more. Enough though like I said to show some of my faults. Flame away!!!

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting
Old 08-05-2011, 04:58 PM

seajay will become famous soon enoughseajay will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Critique Video: 105' cast

Nice work. what rod is that. can you put that cast on the snout of a Red or Bone at that distance?
Still trying to get that double haul down but only time will tell.
Old 08-05-2011, 05:06 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

Not trying to be a jerk here, this is a honest question and I am bored at work today. Other than the "wow" factor and the challenge of casting this far does anyone ever cast over 100' when fishing. I primarily fish small streams and if I have more the 20' of line out it is a miracle. Even when I fish "bigger" rivers here in Colorado I dont think I ever cast more than 50'-60'.

The guy at the fly shop asked me about casting when I bought a rod and he said tell me what you do when you need to cast 80' ? My answer "I walk 30 feet closer to my target if possible or move on."

PS that long of a cast that you made seem to appear easy was impressive
Old 08-05-2011, 05:22 PM

Your not being a jerk at all. The only wow factor for me is that I have become obsessed with getting every inch out of what is possible for me. Its more a personal thing than anything else. I will say though that now that I have learned to cast that far, laying out a 50 or 60 foot cast is now effortless and much more accurate. Someone mentioned that to get more distance I might want to video myself and let someone look at it. I know there are many great casters that frequent this section of the board so I figured I would post it and get some tips on how to get a little more out of my distance.

Its kind of like marathon runners? Who the hell would possibly want to run that far for the sake of running? They do though. And some are obbsessed with it. Same thing for my casting I guess. Personal acheivement.
Old 08-05-2011, 06:00 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

Very cool, thank you for the answer.

I hear ya on testing yourself, it can be captivating when you find something you really want to accomplish. That was me with everything from golf, to bmx racing. motorcross etc etc when I was younger.
Old 08-05-2011, 07:55 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

I think people that can cast 100' consistently can also cast very well at 20,30,40,50,60,70,80,90'+
Congratulations pegboy.
The only thing I could see is your wrist breaks a little on your forward cast.
I'd have Jackster give you a real critique.
Old 08-06-2011, 01:15 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
I think people that can cast 100' consistently can also cast very well at 20,30,40,50,60,70,80,90'+
Agreed, but only if the person casting perfected their casts at the ranges listed before breaking the 100' mark.
I wish the video Flash Player would allow slo-mo or at least a usable stop and start to better see what is going on in the video.
What I did see in your video is a darn nice cast. It appears that you start your hauls a bit early in the stroke which is quite common. If you can delay the haul a bit it could help you gain a bit more distance.
On each of the casts in your video it looks as though you could have more line off of the reel than you did. It looks like you could have easily shot more line if you had it already peeled off.
Nice casts indeed. The real trick is getting distances like you did on a 5 weight!
Old 08-06-2011, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackster View Post
Agreed, but only if the person casting perfected their casts at the ranges listed before breaking the 100' mark.
I wish the video Flash Player would allow slo-mo or at least a usable stop and start to better see what is going on in the video.
What I did see in your video is a darn nice cast. It appears that you start your hauls a bit early in the stroke which is quite common. If you can delay the haul a bit it could help you gain a bit more distance.
On each of the casts in your video it looks as though you could have more line off of the reel than you did. It looks like you could have easily shot more line if you had it already peeled off.
Nice casts indeed. The real trick is getting distances like you did on a 5 weight!

I will try to repost the vid so as you can see it in slow motion. As I said in a post a while back I am getting to the point in my distance casting that I am down to the nitty gritty (small things) that are going to get me any more distance. Truth be told I am topping out right now at about 128'- 130' with my 8wt, and at about 108' ro 110' with my 5wt. I could have definately had more line off the real, but was just trying to give you an idea of my stroke at long distances in general. Again, I'll see if I can get a slow mo player posted so we can really disect these casts.

Thanks Guys
Old 08-06-2011, 01:06 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Casting very long distances like this is more for saltwater fly fishermen casting from boats or on the flats (or just for those that are trying to eke out as much distance as possible just for their own enjoyment, which I totally understand as well). To need a 100' cast on the river seems like a very interesting situation or a blind cast for the heck of it. I could see an accurate 100' cast being useful for tarpon or other saltwater fish. I know that Peg was mainly interested in casting for casting's sake, but can anyone think of times they needed a 100' cast in freshwater? This isn't a "why would you bother" question, but more of a "crazy fishing story" question.

Relating to helping with the cast, someone posted a video from Leland Fly Fishing on here a week ago about distance casting that was excellent. If I can find it after dinner I'll post it, it may be of some help! I've never had a go at distance casting, I don't even know how to haul line yet, so I can't be of any help!

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 08-06-2011, 05:16 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by comeonavs View Post
Not trying to be a jerk here, this is a honest question and I am bored at work today. Other than the "wow" factor and the challenge of casting this far does anyone ever cast over 100' when fishing.
Not a jerk question at all. I live in a place where a 100' is needed pretty often. I went with a spey rod because I can do more than 100' easily. The wow factor is also a valid reason to want to cast far. I would never tell anyone "Hey, you cast to far." I don't remeber who said it, but the quote "There is no disadvantage to being able to cast far." is a good one.

Very nice casting stroke peg. I hate to promote a web site other than this one on here, but have you looked at Sexy Loops?