The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2011, 05:58 PM

grassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nice
Default torn loops

ive been having problems with my cast lately, my cast seems to be getting steadily worse when i pick up like i get a nice tight looped back cast but with my front cast the loop tears open and has no energy any suggestions
Old 08-24-2011, 07:17 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: torn loops

tough to say. If I had to guess I would say you may be starting your forward cast to early. Let that line straighten out behind you before you start your forward motion.
Old 08-24-2011, 08:57 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Sounds to me like you are not stopping the rod on the forward cast as you did on the back cast. Stop that forward cast high. You can't make the line go without stopping the rod.

Many people seem to have the problem you have. Most of those that I've seen tear open their loop by dropping the rod tip too much when making the final presentation cast.
Old 08-26-2011, 12:14 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

One of the best tips Ive had in a long time was gathered from a long distance casting video somewhere on this board.

Stop the rod higher as stated but a "firm squeeze" of the grip when you stop really helps me generate more line speed and better loop control and accuracy.
Old 08-28-2011, 04:16 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassonfly View Post
ive been having problems with my cast lately, my cast seems to be getting steadily worse when i pick up like i get a nice tight looped back cast but with my front cast the loop tears open and has no energy any suggestions
Is the wide loop present only on the delivery cast or is it also present when you false cast and shoot line on the forward cast?

Is the forward cast wide when you cast side arm or just overhead?

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 08-29-2011, 08:44 PM

Cool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura aboutCool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura aboutCool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura about

To save you some time...its your wrist....dont bend your wrist! I have found that 99% of loop isues are wrist related and 99% of tailing loops are from overpowering your cast...chances are...you fit in here.
Old 08-29-2011, 09:03 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Hand Hodge View Post
To save you some time...its your wrist....dont bend your wrist! I have found that 99% of loop isues are wrist related and 99% of tailing loops are from overpowering your cast...chances are...you fit in here.
This might be a bit of an oversimplification. Even Joan Wulff preaches to have some wrist bend.
I can rip a loop wide open with the rod butt strapped to my wrist by simply not stopping the rod high. True story.
Old 08-29-2011, 09:32 PM

Cool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura aboutCool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura aboutCool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura about

well...threes more than one way to skin a cat for sure. I dont think you can fully stop your wrist from moving....by trying to your basically allowing a very small amount which is ok. I wasn't saying my examples were always the case, they are just the ones i see the most.
Old 11-06-2011, 01:22 PM

mdraft1 will become famous soon enoughmdraft1 will become famous soon enough

What rod and line are you using?
Old 11-06-2011, 06:22 PM

grassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nice

man this was a long time ago im all good now but for others who have this problem i was using a dogwood canyon 9 foot 5 weight with a hobbs creek fly line