The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2011, 01:57 PM

auriemma is on a distinguished road
Default Wind knots in tippet or leader

When you get them in the middle of your tippet or leader and they have already sinched down tight, do you ...

A. let them go wait for them to break?

B. stop fishing and replace the leader and/or tippet immediately?
Old 09-08-2011, 05:05 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wind knots in tippet or leader

If you haven't already caught a fish (or a bush ) you can usually back them out.
Hold the knot lightly between thumb and forefinger and push the leader back from the point end. Works for me most of the time in the tippet and always back in the leader

If it doesn't I change tippets. A wind knot decreases the tippet strength by half. Not worth losing a fish over.
Old 09-08-2011, 06:50 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Good question Joe, and thanks for a good answer Rip!

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 09-08-2011, 08:50 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Replace immediately, and when you get home grab a needle and work the knot out.

Dave
Old 09-08-2011, 09:48 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Much like Rip Tide, I cut them out and retie if they can't be undone. Another of the little things that upped my landing rate when I made a New Years Resolution to myself to no longer lose fish to thrift or laziness.
Old 09-08-2011, 10:44 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Does the creation of the knot decrease the strength of the tippet even if it is undone? I understand that if the knot hasn't tightened at all it probably doesn't decrease the strength, but from what I've heard, even if we untie the knots, the damage is done. I could be wrong, just what I've been taught.
Old 09-08-2011, 10:52 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

Quote:
Originally Posted by littledavid123 View Post
Replace immediately, and when you get home grab a needle and work the knot out.

Dave

i have a buddy who carries the screw portion of a wine opener on his vest.
its on a retractor and looks rather odd.
he uses it exclusively for untangling wind knots.

casey

ARFE
Old 09-09-2011, 07:24 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

... if you need a tool to get the wind knot out, the damage is already done
Old 09-09-2011, 07:35 AM

ghost_reaper is on a distinguished road

I agree with Rip Tide. If it's to tight to get out by hand cut it out and re-tie.

Old 09-09-2011, 07:59 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

I never get wind knots. I only cast indoors, on calm days. LOL.