The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2005, 07:47 AM

Fly Guyusa will become famous soon enoughFly Guyusa will become famous soon enough
Default Re: "Crack" noise on either forward or backcast

Thanks Doug! To make things a little more interesting, shouldn't the forward and backcast be mirror images of one another when false casting? Do we have less problems with the forward cast because we are watching it? I only began to watch my backcast a year or so ago, after 40 plus years of fly fishing. A tape by George Roberts really emphasizes the point that if you don't make a good backcast, a good forward cast will never happen. That was also when I took my first casting lesson. Had some poor muscle memory and bad habits to correct!
Old 06-26-2005, 01:32 PM
Cast Like A Pro

dougm will become famous soon enoughdougm will become famous soon enough

Pat,

No question in my mind that the backcast is more important than the forward cast. I weight it 65 and the forward cast 35. By learning to watch the backcast I have no doubt that your timing has smoothed and you now adjust to subtle things on the backcast that you were not formerly aware of -- the effect of a gusty breeze being but one. The forward cast, on the of the other hand, we all watch. The trouble is when we finally see the forward cast, it's too late to correct mistakes.

In truth, many of my final casts are made backhanded from the backcast; some of my longest, too. It's a useful technique that I would suggest you practice. It make changing direction a snap!

The three principal problems I encounter in teaching the cast are: (1) Watching the backcast, (2) Keeping the rod tip low to avoid slack, and (3) maintaining direct contact with the fly. (The exception being high stick nymphing.)

As for whether or not the two parts of the cast should be mirror images of each other, I can only say that mine are not! In fact, my back and forward casts usually follow different tracks. I attribute the mirror image business to the influence of the Ancient Fish Gods on the Knot Tiers, the same folks who would lead people to believe that to be a fly fisher, you must master the 1,651 knots they write books about.

Of course, you can make the cast that way folks; in fact, the cast can be made any one of a number of ways. Years ago there was a article that discussed fly casting in ovals -- sure enough, the technique works.

Doug

Fly Fishing with Doug Macnair
www.douglasmacnair.com
Old 04-25-2006, 02:27 PM

Troutlassie124 is on a distinguished road

Bravo to you all for something I had been trying to figure out.
I can't wait to try out your suggestions.
Anyone know where I can get new netting for my old LL Bean
wooden net? It seems a mouse family found it and turned it
into shredded net. Are they available off the shelf somewhere?
Old 04-25-2006, 08:34 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Fishing Bamboo and super fines a lot along with tip flex, My answer is YES let the line straighten completely behind you (should even feel a slight tug on the rod tip) before you start your forward cast. In other woeds "wait for it....."
The crack sound could also be the tippet hitting something on a back cast (not stopping arm at the 2:00 possition or breaking wrist)