The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2011, 06:10 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Roll Casting question

Quote:
Originally Posted by jig stick View Post
Because most of the fishing is done from the banks or close to them, with the tree line right at ur shoulder. We are fishing near oak park and Burt dam, near buffalo
What kind of distance do you need to cast?
Old 09-27-2011, 10:14 PM

texastroutbum has a spectacular aura abouttexastroutbum has a spectacular aura abouttexastroutbum has a spectacular aura about

This video taught me so much the roll casting.

http://youtu.be/UFDPIn0L0Uw
Old 09-27-2011, 11:49 PM

pegboy1 has a spectacular aura aboutpegboy1 has a spectacular aura about

my vote is for Royal Wulff Triangle Taper Steelhead WF
Old 09-28-2011, 09:26 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

When you practice you will need the resistance of line on the water to help load the rod.
An option if water isn't available is to tie up some grass leaders in which tags left at each knot to help the grass grab the line and load the rod. The problem with grass leaders is that you should have different length tags for different lengths of grass.
An easier and less complicated way to load the rod without water is to place the leader under a brick or something to hold the line tip while casting, step back to a little past the distance you want to practice at then slowly walk forward until, with the rod tip at 1-2:00 behind and above your head you have a loop of line behind you. Do a close equivilant to a standard overhand forward cast with all of the components of accelerating to a crisp stop and then watch your loop. You will just have the loop to go on as the landing will be in somewhat a pile around the block or brick.
Old 10-01-2011, 11:35 PM

flymark is on a distinguished road

You can shoot line with a roll cast if you practice (like you would with a double hander rod and a shooting heead). Practice practice practice is what is needed.

For trout fishing, i've tended to prefer double taper lines for a long time. For bigger rods though - bass, steelhead, etc - a WF makes more sense, as you can roll cast them, or if you need, you can punch them into a wind, and firing heavy flies is easier with a WF type line.
Old 10-02-2011, 08:47 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Only problem is, you need water to practice roll casting...Dang, just be sure the practice pond has fish...LOL
Some have made leaders that look like barbwire to practice roll casting on lawn, but, nothing beats the real thing.
Old 10-02-2011, 08:59 AM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

Joni is correct in saying you need water to practice,perhaps you will work the Roll Cast out quick & a fish will just grab the Fly,your "Hooked" as well as the fish.
Good Luck.
Old 10-02-2011, 09:09 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I am sure my Dad thought I was trying to escape when I kept saying I had to go practice at the local pond...LOL
Old 10-02-2011, 10:15 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Jig, go to you tube and search single hand spey cast. For roll casting and overhead work the Triangle Tapers from Wulff are right up your alley.
Old 10-02-2011, 10:24 AM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all

For roll casting I prefer a WF line, especially on a stiffer rod. I also think it's important to begin the roll cast before slack enters the line. To help increase line tension, I either use a downward haul or hold the line against the butt with my finger, then let go when I stop my cast.

Randy