The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2011, 10:53 AM

jig stick is on a distinguished road
Default Roll Casting question

I'm getting my first ever fly rod together right now for steelhead and bass. It's a TFO BVK 9ft 8wt with a Lamson Litespeed 3.5. I'm thinking about going with Scientific Angler GPX line. I will be fishing Lake Erie and Ontario tribs, as well as some smaller lakeS in that area. My friends tell me that I will be roll casting most of the time. Is double tapered line easier to roll cast with than weight forward line? It can get quite windy where I fish, and I believe weight forward line is better for that? Now I dont know what line to get. Any help is appreciated.

Jigstick
Old 09-27-2011, 11:13 AM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Roll Casting question

The taper and profile of a Scientific Angler GPX fly line is identical for the first 30 feet for the WF and the DT lines. Then the WF rear taper begins at 30 feet and extends back to the shooting line at about 40 feet. So both the DT and WF will roll cast exactly the same for the first 30 feet of line.

See the bottom of pg 4 below:

Chart Diagrams

The WF profile means that you will not get into the shooting line until about 40 feet of fly line our of the rod tip.

So if you are not going to use the long casting capability of the WF beyond say about 40 feet of fly line (then add your leader and rod length), the DT line would be better because it will last twice as long.

If you are going to use that fly line for other types of fishing that will not require much roll casting and you will be shooting line, then get the WF.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 09-27-2011, 11:50 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Agree with siver creekwill simply add you shouldn't have great problems when it's windy with a 8 wt and the higher you are above water level the easier your roll cast will be
Old 09-27-2011, 12:30 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the forum jig stick. Just out of curiosity, why do they think you will be roll casting most of the time?
Old 09-27-2011, 12:35 PM

Red Owl has a spectacular aura aboutRed Owl has a spectacular aura about

The Triangle taper line Lee Wulff came up with is supposed to be ideal for roll casting but..same question- why roll cast? I've fished the Salmon River north of Syracuse- no such need.
Old 09-27-2011, 12:52 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I prefer the GPX for roll casting.....and all other casting LOL
Check this out:

Joan Wulff: The Roll Cast | MidCurrent
Old 09-27-2011, 01:27 PM

jig stick is on a distinguished road

Because most of the fishing is done from the banks or close to them, with the tree line right at ur shoulder. We are fishing near oak park and Burt dam, near buffalo
Old 09-27-2011, 03:40 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Practice before you go.
Most people find roll-casting difficult
Extra practice will help a lot more than choosing one line over another
Old 09-27-2011, 04:33 PM

oarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to all

Practice, practice as mentioned before, your practice of this cast will be more rewarding if itís done on the water, if you canít get streamside find a big swimming pool, as for line for me itís GPX but thereís lots of great lines out there.

Rick
Old 09-27-2011, 05:33 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi jig stick,

If I wanted a floating line for Steelhead it would be the SA Steelhead. I wouldn't get a GPX line until you have cast the rod and feel you need the added weight. Double taper lines have their uses but I don't think that is Steelhead fishing.

Frank