The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2007, 07:41 AM

Fishplease is on a distinguished road
Default Longer rod troubles

I recently bought an 8'6 redington crosswater since my 8foot cortland snapped. I got 8'6 because I figured I could cast farther with a longer rod. But I've never owned an 8'6 before, and am having trouble getting out there like I'd like to. Any tips or pointers?

FYI: I use WF line and a large arbor with a 7 foot leader when I practice.
Old 04-14-2007, 08:43 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Longer rod troubles

Hi Fishplease,

It would help if we knew how far you are casting. The Crosswater is an inexpensive rod that they rate as medium fast. I would bet it is a little slower than that. The slower rods are great for accuracy but you need a faster rod for real distance. To get distance you have to shoot line with the cast. Have you tried a single Haul on your forward cast. Are you shooting line? Are you getting any knots in your leader? Make sure you use a fly when you practice.
Old 04-14-2007, 09:22 AM

I usually practice with a white wooly bugger with lead wire in it for practice. And on the average, I cast 15-20 feet including the leader.
I have tried a haul, and it can get me 3 or so extra feet.
No knots in the leader (wind knots if thats what you meant)
Old 04-14-2007, 09:50 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute

That is not very far. What weight is your rod? Did you cast your other rod further? It may be you are not using enough line to load the rod. You will have better luck with a non-weighted fly until you get things sorted out. Make sure you break the hook off at the bend so you don't hook yourself practicing. When you say 15-20 feet, does that include the rod?
Old 04-14-2007, 11:11 AM

Its a 5wt, and I could cast 30 feet of line (including leader) with my old 8 foot. Which if I have enough money later I may buy another of. It only broke because a knot got caught on a guide and when the line got pulled on it snapped the tip.
Old 04-14-2007, 08:16 PM

Jakeway is on a distinguished road

I have fly rods between 7 and 9 feet, and I don't notice a drastic difference in the length of the cast' the main difference I see is ease of line mending, roll casts, etc.

You must have something else goofing up your casts with the new rod.

Kayaks: Just part of the drag system
Old 04-15-2007, 12:29 PM

Perhaps it is the fly line, I am currently using Cabela's -- Scientific Anglers™ Air Cel™ WF and DT Fly Line

But I also have
on another reel.

Could the length of the belly be affecting it?
Old 04-15-2007, 01:02 PM
Administrator

The Air Cell is not SA's best line by a long ways. If you get another line, try the Mastery series of lines. The Air Cell is a good enough line for you to cast more than 15 to 20 feet.

If you have a 8' 6" rod and you are using a 7 1/2' leader, you only have about 15' of fly line out side the tip. I am still of the opinion you are not using enough fly line to load the rod tip. You need to pull out 25' of fly line and do some pick-ups and lay-downs. This will help you get your back cast timing down. Remember when you do a pick-up, you have to have the fly moving before you start you cast. Don't try to pick up the line until all slack is out of the line. Get rid of the weighted bugger and see how you do.

If you really want to learn to cast well, you need a good video or tape.
Old 04-15-2007, 10:31 PM

Jakeway is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
...If you really want to learn to cast well, you need a good video or tape.
AMEN!

I've been flyfishing for 40 years, and I just watched Joan Wulff's "Dynamics of Fly Casting" and I immediately noticed better accuracy as well as longer and smoother casts. The biggest tip for me was what Frank said about picking up the fly off the water. Pull steady but smoothly until the fly line is out of the water, then snap the fly out. I picked up a couple fish, including a nice bass, that hit the fly as I started the smooth backcast.

Joan explains this and a lot of other stuff very well. Entertaining history as well.

Kayaks: Just part of the drag system
Old 04-16-2007, 01:41 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

I really don't think its the equipment that is causing the casting difficulties. All rods cast differently, and you probably just need to get your timing adjusted to suit this new rod. I would guess you need to wait longer for your forward/backward cast to straighten out before you cast in the opposite direction.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.