The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2011, 04:12 PM

oarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to all
Default Re: casting weight

Where on the Klamath?

Rick
Old 10-13-2011, 12:47 AM

sopo bj is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by oarfish View Post
Where on the Klamath?

Rick
Weitchpec ca
Old 10-16-2011, 05:06 AM

Walter1023 is a glorious beacon of lightWalter1023 is a glorious beacon of lightWalter1023 is a glorious beacon of lightWalter1023 is a glorious beacon of lightWalter1023 is a glorious beacon of light

When I'm relegated to casting weight because fish refuse to show themselves on the surface I often just attach a few split shots to a CDC dry....attach a trailer .....and swing them - strip them - jiggle them just like a streamer and its a very open cast style. For instance on my forward cast I almost make a point to have my rod tip touch the surface of the water - and I've not really had problems at all. Its funny because last week I was on the farmington river engaged in chucking lead......a kayaker and his wife were coming downstream and the gentleman advised me I should stop my forward cast when the tip if high (he must have saw me from far away) I thanked him but said I can't really do that as I'm casting alot of weight...and he looked a little mystified. Interestingly 5 hours later before i left I was in a larger pool casting dries toward a few risers....and a guy on the bank complimented me on how good he thought my casting was. moral of the story...if anyone compliments you on how graceful you look when casting a weighted rig you're porbably doing it wrong
Old 11-17-2011, 08:54 PM

sopo bj is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter1023 View Post
When I'm relegated to casting weight because fish refuse to show themselves on the surface I often just attach a few split shots to a CDC dry....attach a trailer .....and swing them - strip them - jiggle them just like a streamer and its a very open cast style. For instance on my forward cast I almost make a point to have my rod tip touch the surface of the water - and I've not really had problems at all. Its funny because last week I was on the farmington river engaged in chucking lead......a kayaker and his wife were coming downstream and the gentleman advised me I should stop my forward cast when the tip if high (he must have saw me from far away) I thanked him but said I can't really do that as I'm casting alot of weight...and he looked a little mystified. Interestingly 5 hours later before i left I was in a larger pool casting dries toward a few risers....and a guy on the bank complimented me on how good he thought my casting was. moral of the story...if anyone compliments you on how graceful you look when casting a weighted rig you're porbably doing it wrong
Thanks, I found with a lot of weight my rod tip almost touches the water also. Yeah I might be using too much weight, I found in some sections it was the only way to drop my flie to the right depth
Old 12-02-2011, 03:27 PM

salar freakboy is on a distinguished road

hi sopo i,m new onthis forum i,m from europe, i think your message is steelheads .
with 3-4 split shots wath you mean ?
i do last years olso on steelheads fishing , next year back to BC Terrace area.
al my steelies coho, catch with 12,6 - 13 ft rods for 8 line, yes with the big intruders
flys.
ther was big fish from 14-18 pound to , no problem to catch.
this is perfect.

Cees