The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2007, 07:25 PM

Flyinsalt is on a distinguished road
Default Analyzing Yourself

What would your definition of an advanced caster be? In comparison to an intermediate caster. If a person can double haul and cast 60-70 feet of line is he an advanced caster? Or would you be considered advanced only if you can throw the entire line and hit your mark at that distance?
Old 05-05-2007, 01:55 PM

tbrillinger223 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Analyzing Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyinsalt View Post
What would your definition of an advanced caster be? In comparison to an intermediate caster. If a person can double haul and cast 60-70 feet of line is he an advanced caster? Or would you be considered advanced only if you can throw the entire line and hit your mark at that distance?

This is an excellent question that is probably going to raise a great debate. In my opinion, I would say an advanced caster would be able to overcome any casting obsticle that might come along. Distance,and accuracy are probably the most saught after skill in this sport. I would consider myself to be an intermediate caster. My distance is mediocre (50'-70'), and accuracy needs improvement. The only way to become an advanced caster is through practice, and patience.
Old 05-07-2007, 02:52 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

I think tbrill... is on the right track. Distance is great, but accuracy will catch you more fish. Accuracy is good, but being accurate at 70' opens up even more possibilities. Casting distance and accuracy aren't the only things needed, since we don't normally fish from elevated positions with no overhanging obstacles, or when lucky enough to do so, without wind. And then there's the need to get a good drift in moving water, which involves many added skills.

Becoming an "advanced caster" depends on the environment need as well. An advanced caster who does seemingly magical things in dense smoky mountain streams may look like a clumsy goof with a 10 wt in hand on the bow of a Bahamian skiff trying to snag a Permit, and vice versa.

I think a good definition of an "advanced caster" is one who falls in the top 5% of fly-fisher-folk in the ability to present a fly that catches fish, taking all fly fishing situations into account. (i'm not there, yet)

Whether skill with two-handed rods is taken into account is a whole 'nother ball game.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 05-08-2007, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Big Cliff....................Becoming an "advanced caster" depends on the environment need as well. An advanced caster who does seemingly magical things in dense smoky mountain streams may look like a clumsy goof with a 10 wt in hand on the bow of a Bahamian skiff trying to snag a Permit, and vice versa
Cliff.. Im the clumsy goof in the mountain stream with chest waders on in anckle deep water hung up in the trees, put me on the pointy end and Im all good.(or on the platform)
Old 05-09-2007, 08:42 AM

Very good points, Cliff. The thing that got me thinking about this was when I was looking at classes offered at the Federation of Fly Fishers conclave in Montana this year. Don't know if you're familiar with it? They have a bunch of fly casting classes offered and each one has a requirement such as 'advanced casters only'. Just wondered what makes you an 'advanced caster'?
Old 05-09-2007, 11:24 AM

how can somebody offer a "class" for flyfishing and set a requirement that you need to be an advanced caster. how do you expect to become an "advanced caster" if you cant attend the class to learn how to better yourself in the sport?
Old 05-09-2007, 01:34 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Fine point tbrill. If we wanted to outline some simple requirements to be called an "advanced caster", we might require that one be able to perform 2 of the following:

-Backhand curve cast

-Backcast delivery 70' and into the wind

-65' roll cast.

All with a 9' 6wt.

(any one thinking, "i never even thought of trying that"?,

glad i could help)

Old 05-09-2007, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCliff View Post
Fine point tbrill. If we wanted to outline some simple requirements to be called an "advanced caster", we might require that one be able to perform 2 of the following:

-Backhand curve cast

-Backcast delivery 70' and into the wind

-65' roll cast.

All with a 9' 6wt.

(any one thinking, "i never even thought of trying that"?,

glad i could help)
I see your point, but how does one know how to do the above mentioned if they dont have anybody to show them. .................by the way how does one acomplish a 70' backcast delivery into the wind??? I trully would like to now cause that will help tremendously
Old 05-10-2007, 08:18 AM

Using that criteria, I'm no where near being an advanced caster.
Old 05-10-2007, 03:12 PM
Super Moderator

TB you are exactly right, some expert observation is absolutley needed to really progress as a caster.

The biggest key to achieveing a 70' backcast delivery into the wind is achieving an equally tight loop on both your forward and backward casts, which often is not done. Also, to do so at 70' will probably require you to use a double haul. Once you've got those two things down, work on accuracy of a backcast delivery.

Check back in a few months when you've mastered these ridiculously challenging tasks i've given you. (and be ready to help cuz i can't pull that off either)