The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2011, 08:59 AM

tpcollins is on a distinguished road
Default Which type line would cast best?

I'm an average caster and I do better with lighter weights. On higher weights I sort of cant my wrist to lock it from bending and cast Lefty Kreigh style. I want to go to a 10wt fly rod for Salmon next fall and strip streamers and leech patterns with maybe an egg dropper. I would be sight fishing from a boat casting 60'-70' or so to Salmon holding in 3'-6' of rather swift currents.

I need to get the pattern down fairly quick but I'm confused which fly line to use - sink tip type III, sinking line, shooting head/taper. Whatever line is best I would rather it be one piece at least 90' or so - I don't want 30' of something that has to be attached to a running line. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
Old 10-27-2011, 09:52 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which type line would cast best?

How about an integrated shooting head like the Rio Outbound WF12I/S6 (425 grains)?

Dennis
Old 10-27-2011, 11:21 AM

tpcollins is on a distinguished road

Thanks Dennis, actually I was looking at that very line while surfing the web this morning. So to cast this type on line, would I aerialized 30' or so with another 30' at my feet and then "shoot" the head towards the target?. Can I strip in a few feet and then roll cast the entire line outside the tip? Thanks.

Tim
Old 10-27-2011, 11:54 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpcollins View Post
Thanks Dennis, actually I was looking at that very line while surfing the web this morning. So to cast this type on line, would I aerialized 30' or so with another 30' at my feet and then "shoot" the head towards the target?. Can I strip in a few feet and then roll cast the entire line outside the tip? Thanks.

Tim
I use these lines in the salt all the time. Roll casting a sink tip is always a bear. I just don't do it.
I like the Rio Outbound custom. I buy them heavy, load them on a rod then then trim it back until it feel right. It's a little more work but it's better better than guessing what will feel right on your rod.

Outbound Custom Fly Line | Rio