The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2011, 11:56 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: Orvis Basic Casting Test

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver creek View Post
Question 6 is the hardest but the answer is correct. You can reason it out.
I actually disagree. Starting with the rod tip at ten o clock is no guarantee that your cast will be high and parallel to the ground.

I can just picture a beginner leaving a ton of slack dangling down from their rod tip as they pause their rod at that angle, and then throwing a cast that's all kinds of ugly. The jerky removal of slack will cause the rod to bend deeply at that point and then straighten up, causing a textbook tailing loop.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 11-02-2011, 01:11 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

There is a very simple and honest reason I don't take tests, quizzes or enter contests. If I count the early years (kid with fly rod) the last thing I need after 42 years of practice is for someone, anyone, to tell me I am not doing it right.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 11-02-2011, 03:16 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCliff View Post
I actually disagree. Starting with the rod tip at ten o clock is no guarantee that your cast will be high and parallel to the ground.

I can just picture a beginner leaving a ton of slack dangling down from their rod tip as they pause their rod at that angle, and then throwing a cast that's all kinds of ugly. The jerky removal of slack will cause the rod to bend deeply at that point and then straighten up, causing a textbook tailing loop.
Cliff,

You misunderstood the question.

Review the question, "Which is not a way to keep your back cast high and parallel to the ground?". So the answer is ..........

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy