The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   The Fly Cast (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-cast/)
-   -   Bending My Wrist (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-cast/200-bending-my-wrist.html)

Bahama Momma 03-20-2005 10:32 PM

Bending My Wrist

My hard ass husband stays on me about bending my wrist when I cast. He says that is a big no-no yet I frequently see other people do it. Its very difficult for me to not bend it. What do you think?

Chris Hewett 03-20-2005 10:37 PM

Re: Bending My Wrist

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bahama Momma
My hard ass husband stays on me about bending my wrist when I cast. He says that is a big no-no yet I frequently see other people do it. Its very difficult for me to not bend it. What do you think?

I think he should be watching where your fly lands. If lands where and how you want it to, your wrist should not be an issue. If it doesn't.......well, it might be, but I would look elsewhere first.

fshfanatic 03-20-2005 10:47 PM

You can purchase a strap that attatches to the end of your rod, below the reel and then wraps around your wrist. Or you can use an old shoelace. These help alot. But, I tend to bend my wrist as well and as many people have told me, "Hey Mike, you have the lousyest casting style I have ever seen..." But hey, my fly lands where I send it and I can sucessfully throw all of my line and some backing. So I say "To hell with it". Do what feels right for you.

Cliff Hilbert 03-21-2005 07:43 AM

The fish don't care whether you bend your wrist or not.

BigCliff 03-21-2005 01:27 PM

There's lots of reasons not to bend your wrist, but in some situations, I don't think it causes any problems.

Here's the reasons why you shouldn't:
Your arm is stronger than your wrist.
Wrist bending often contributes to wide, inefficient loops.
Wrist bending often contributes to tailing loops.
Wrist bending often contributes to less casting accuracy than a firm wrist.
Wrist bending can accelerate the progression into carpal tunnel syndrome.

However, when making short casts with a light rod, you're not likely to do any harm to your wrist or your cast by bending your wrist. I recently fished a one fly tourney on a smallish river and probably did almost all of the 400+ casts of that day with only my wrist. I also didn't cast more than 15' of fly line all day, however.

That being said I must emphatically emphasize that one is much better off to emulate the casting style of Lefty Kreh than that of Tom Skerritt's character in "A River Runs Though It"

dougm 03-21-2005 02:14 PM

Hi Momma,

Most folks use their wrist when casting ... It's also true that many are not even aware of the wrist's action. For many like me, the snap of the wrist is the power stroke in casting. However, it's critically important that the wrist's movement be controlled within a very narrow angle. The following pictures depict the two positions of the wrist during the cast: the top is the decocked position ... it is the wrist's position that begins the backcast and stays in that position until you apply the power stroke at the end, and that snap places the wrist in the cocked position, shown at the bottom. The wrist retains this position until called upon to make the power stroke at the end of the forward cast.
http://www.douglasmacnair.com/images/excerpts/2.jpg

To get a feel for this use of the wrist, grip a pencil as you would the fly rod and practice flicking the pencil between the two positions ... decocked/cocked/decocked/cocked. Note the pencil tip moves through a much greater arc then is your wrist ... If you stretch this to an 8 or 9-foot rod, you can see why this little flick is called the power stroke. This flick of the wrist really moves the rod's tip -- fast.

Be warned that either further movement of the wrist, or a failure to make that little snap, will ruin the cast ... I call it the floppy wrist syndrome.

If this is the problem your husband is referring too, I do recommend using Joan Wulff's Wristlok ... It's available from Cabela's for $11.95. It's worked well for my clients who suffered from the floppy wrist madady.

Hope this helps,

Doug

Bahama Momma 03-24-2005 11:52 AM

Thanks guys for your help. I suppose as long as I catch fish I'm OK.

sandi roberts 05-23-2005 11:14 PM

well, my husband, a fly casting certified instructor says that I don't bend my wrist enough! So, I would have to say that there is a "happy medium". We compete in casting, ( I am fairly new to competitions). He says that sometimes my wrist is just too stiff, which does not allow me to load the rod well! He says, although relaxed, the wrist should be "firm"! Now, I must have listened to something he told me, because I won 2nd place in the Best of the West Fly Casting Distance Championship! 2005

fshfanatic 05-23-2005 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandi roberts
Now, I must have listened to something he told me, because I won 2nd place in the Best of the West Fly Casting Distance Championship! 2005

Did Lance E of Utah take first again?

sandi roberts 05-24-2005 10:51 PM

Rick Hartmen won for the men, with Jim Gunderson in 2nd.

Wendy Gunn won for the women, with me in 2nd.