The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2013, 12:42 AM

EastTexas will become famous soon enoughEastTexas will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Any casting differences between WF and DT lines?

I like Cortland Flylines; but I prefer the cheaper lines.
To me there is not that much of a difference than the top end ones.

I love windy demo days - when you learn that a 9wt Rio "WindCutter" made my 6wt look like a joke that day on a pond.
Rip Tide likes this.
Old 04-16-2013, 01:43 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by East Texas
I tested identical 4 WT outfits at Orvis Day - one w/ DT the other WF; to my surprise I casted better & further w/ DT even on a windy day!!!
Double tapers that are somewhat compatable with a rod are able to be fine tuned by the caster by varying the amount of line out the tip. This goes from harder, all the way to impossible to do with WF lines - especially those with very short heads.

If a short head is way too light for the rod, I generally cannot overhang more than half the head length and maintain good control of the loop. But I may not be able to get enough bend in the rod at that lighter weight to get a reasonable distance out of it.

If the head is too heavy, I can't cast only 3/4 of the head because the remaining inertia of that part of the head inside the tip causes a premature turnover and a tuck cast. So I am forced to push the rod to mushyness in order to cast the head "too heavy" for the rod. Casting that way is not a lot of fun to me.

Long belly WF lines are more like DT lines in the "tuning" respect and can be cast without the entire head out of the tip, but probabl6y require more experience than shorter heads properly tuned to both the rod and the caster using it.

So what I'm saying is that you were "fine tuning" the DT line to both the rod and your casting stroke and "comfort zone".

But don't take that one example as universal truth and wind up handicapping yourself for the rest of your life. There are situations for short WF tapers , long WF tapers, and DT lines. It just takes some fiddling with different ones to figure it out.

Ard,

I remember starting with an HCH then fairly quickly (once I read about them) moving to a GBF "Bug Taper" for throwing poppers to bass. It was way too much line for the old South Bend rod, but I could get the poppers out there fine with it. The "Rocket" Taper was the other one on the market then.
Old 04-19-2013, 03:41 PM

glcaddis has a spectacular aura aboutglcaddis has a spectacular aura about

DT lines should be in every angler's arsenal. For trout, I hardly use anything else. Why, because their are easier to roll cast and heavier to make the occasional 55 foot cast on a trout stream. WF lines are likely cheaper to make because of the thinner running line. But why should I pay as much for line that doesn't cost as much to make? Plus, when I wear out one end of the DT, I can turn it around and have a brand new line. For the person who said they cast better with a DT, even in the wind, I rest my case. For the best angling experience (casting that is) try a DT real silk line. Now you got the denseness in a thinner diameter that really goes.
Old 04-19-2013, 07:10 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by glcaddis View Post
DT lines should be in every angler's arsenal. For trout, I hardly use anything else. Why, because their are easier to roll cast and heavier to make the occasional 55 foot cast on a trout stream. WF lines are likely cheaper to make because of the thinner running line. But why should I pay as much for line that doesn't cost as much to make? Plus, when I wear out one end of the DT, I can turn it around and have a brand new line. For the person who said they cast better with a DT, even in the wind, I rest my case. For the best angling experience (casting that is) try a DT real silk line. Now you got the denseness in a thinner diameter that really goes.
I guess I don't quite understand a bit of what you said about DT lines. Both DT and WF lines weigh the same until you're out past the head on traditional WF lines. Quite a few modern WF lines have heads that are far longer than the +/- 35' head that was once typical. Even with the longer heads they now carry a long and gradual back taper which allows them to be used quite easily for long roll casts. Some of these new WF lines have heads as long as an entire DT line.
Heavier? That too is covered by the above paragraph.
Are you guessing that the DT cost less to make? Both DT and WF lines have two tapers and along level section. They're just in different places on the line. I'll go further and mention that many WF lines have multiple steps in their tapers in front and back.
The ability to end-for-end the line on a DT is a huge benefit.
A real silk line is indeed a joy to cast. Part of that is because it has the mass of any line in its weight class but a very small diameter much like the running line on a WF.