The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2011, 07:29 AM

tpcollins is on a distinguished road
Default Any casting differences between WF and DT lines?

Would a DT10F line be harder or easier to cast than a WF10F line? I realize fly line weight is supposed to be based on the first 30', but my WF lines start to taper down to a smaller diameter for the last half of the line.

Just wondering if DT is a constant heavier line throughout the entire mid section and only tapers at each end? Thanks.
Old 10-30-2011, 07:45 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future
Default Re: Any casting differences between WF and DT lines?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpcollins View Post
Just wondering if DT is a constant heavier line throughout the entire mid section and only tapers at each end? Thanks.
Yes. If I have your question right at one tip it tapers up to a constant diameter of the running line and then tapers back down to the other tip.
Old 10-30-2011, 10:16 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpcollins View Post
I realize fly line weight is supposed to be based on the first 30', ........... a constant heavier line throughout the entire mid section and only tapers at each end?
Jackster got your answer for you. What you said about the "first 30 feet" is something I find really fuzzy in line construction. In a DT line, as you said " a constant heavier line throughout the entire mid section" is correct. However you have very much the same effect with the heads of a WF line. You know what the first 30' weighs, but that is almost never the whole head. Once the whole head is up in the air, what do you have? Who knows. I wish they would add the info to line lables on the box. Head length and weight. Someone said it would be going to a new system, but it's the system used in spey lines.

I'm sure I was of absolutely no help here.
Old 10-30-2011, 10:34 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Quote:
I wish they would add the info to line lables on the box. Head length and weight.
Everybody does. I wrote Cortland and Sci Anglers to get total head weights on their tarpon tapers in 10 ,11 and 12 wts. Posted them on one of the forums, but can't remember which one.

Rio lists "head wt" on their website, but it is wrong and is only the first 30'. Elsewhere on their website they list the identical wt for the first 30'. I haven't written them yet for the true head weights.

The AFTMA method is absolutely moronic, but a great way to sell more lines by keeping us guessing and buying lines that don't work with our rods.
Old 10-30-2011, 10:38 AM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

As far as ease of casting the same weight line in either type, it would more likely depend on the fly you're trying to cast, the length of the cast & the wind conditions, and assuming that the leader & tippet combination you're using is correct. Really too many variables to say one way or the other, and would more depend on the factors involved. In specific situations & conditions, one may be better than the other, that's why they make both types. Neither may be ideal for all situations however, so what you choose, will always be a compromise, but should be selected for the majority of the fishing situations you'll see & the majority of the conditions you'll likely encounter.

For example, if you're primarily a dry fly trout angler, you may find the DT line to work best for you, but might want to also have a WF line if you sometimes use streamers. Either line type could be used for both, again depending on the variables I previously mentioned.

Myself, because I'm primarily a bass & saltwater angler, all my lines are WF's.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 10-30-2011, 11:09 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjc View Post
The AFTMA method is absolutely moronic, but a great way to sell more lines by keeping us guessing and buying lines that don't work with our rods.
That's what I have been saying. Then you add on what rods really should be rated at, but are are not rated at. Most rods are stated to be at least one weight under what they really are. Two weights is fairly common and I've even seen a few that are three weights off. Winston on the other hand seems to want to go the other way. My 10wt. BIIX is really a 9.8 but they have a few that are a weight off. Sage is probably the biggest fibber in the market. Even the Cabela's Three Forks rods are off by a weight. The 5 is a 5.9 and the 6 is a 7.1. Toss compound taper heads of who knows what weight heads...... No wonder there are new casters that have so much trouble. I'm sure there is more than a few of them that stumbled on rod/line combo's that sabotaged them before they ever got started.
Old 10-30-2011, 06:50 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

Don't know if this is relevant to your situation (never cast a 10-wt.), but the DT would certainly be easier to roll cast. It would probably give you a more delicate presentation as well, but don't know if that matters with a 10-weight.
Old 10-31-2011, 08:16 AM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all

Weight forward lines are better for casting in the wind and for getting a lot of line out there with very few false casts.

In terms of carrying more overhang and making the longest possible casts, the DT would be better.

However, for saltwater - very windy conditions - I prefer the WF lines.

Randy
Old 11-04-2011, 04:46 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Like Randy said, you'd want a wt forward of one type or another for saltwater and most fishing you'd be using a 10 wt for.

But wt forward heads vary incredibly as to total head wt. Some of them are only 30 ft long and others are 47 as can be seen here with the Crystal PE Fly line head weights . So the AFTMA method only counting the weight of the first 30 feet is absurd when the entire head is meant to be outside the tip for most casts. 17 feet of head in the Crystal PE is not counted as weight in the line weight rating.

With the SA MEd 7 wt line, 37 feet of head weight is not counted.

So even if you already know what line wt works perfectly for you on a rod in one sytle of line from one manufacturer, change the head length (even using the same manufacturer) and you are back in the dark all over again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan
Someone said it would be going to a new system, but it's the system used in spey lines.
Exactly. And it is also how shooting heads are labeled. Otherwise, they wouldn't sell any. The guys using shooting heads were just chopping and splicing their own till they worked right for them, then weighed them.They weren't about to waste money on something that had an arbitrary number attached to it.

But you never will see any change until a great many flyfishermen start bad mouthing them. Just as you never see any change in our korporate govt until masses of people start protesting.

I've already started. Your turn next Dan.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 04-30-2012, 04:19 PM

dryhollow is on a distinguished road
Default I'm not sure why they even make DT lines heavier than a seven weight...

never understood that