The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2007, 04:29 PM

Sahagan is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Help with the double haul, please?

All right! In fact, I had been trying to make long hauls. Never occurred to me to shorten up, in order to practice the technique in a much easier managed way.

My thanks!

Sahagan
Old 05-23-2007, 04:46 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

[quote=Sahagan;11485]All right! In fact, I had been trying to make long hauls. Never occurred to me to shorten up, in order to practice the technique in a much easier managed way.

Give it a try and let us know how it worked out.
Old 08-01-2007, 04:09 PM

Charles is on a distinguished road

make sure your reel is facing out .side ways to your right that way the line is not touching the rod
Old 08-03-2007, 09:25 AM

bonefish41 will become famous soon enough

Lefty Kreh's tape of the double haul is great...as it demonstrates without changing the energy of the stroke but changing the power of the double haul the length of the cast may be significantly increased.

In falts salt site fishing... it's function is wind casting and quick shots at 50-75 feet by quick I mean a roll out of your hand forward, then back, then forward, then back, then shoot to the fish...all the while keeping an eye on the fish, the wind, the line coiled at your feet so you don't hook yourself in the ear or the guide as I just did...have not done that in 20 years...or the coiled line is fouled

timing is everything and down up on the back cast and down forward to shoot(another cycle would of course be down up on the forward cast)...when you have not done it for awhile and particularly not in front of a fish which you are sighting...for me the first time or two...sometimes "buck fever" takes over and I forget the up stroke and am left with no where to go on the forward(unless my arm would extend another two feet) cast and the cast ends up woefully short of the fish...
Old 11-08-2007, 08:43 AM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all

This might help:
The Fly And Spin Casting Site
Randyflycaster
Old 11-08-2007, 08:54 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Here's another hint that seems to help, make sure you're practicing with plenty of line out.
The weight of the line will help you feed it back in preparation for the next haul plus it helps in the feel when hauling.
Old 11-09-2007, 08:57 AM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all

I shoot line after I stop the rod and finish the haul. (The line is unrolling.) I use the counting method to know how much line I shot. (I count to myself: one, two, three, for instance, and know that I shot about five feet of line.)
I never shoot more than ten feet of line.

I believe that the short double haul is fine for most fishing, but to make long casts you'll have to use a long double haul.

I also believe that one of the biggest problems with executing the haul is not finishing the upward haul with our line hand at the same level as our rod hand. If our line hand is lower, slack will form between our hands when we begin our cast. To help avoid this, I make sure I stop the rod and my downward haul at the same time. Also, when I shoot line I simultaneously slide my line hand up. Shooting line, therefore, helps me get my line hand up to my rod hand.

Randy Kadish
Old 11-13-2007, 07:08 PM

cliftz is on a distinguished road

My main rod is a TFO TiCr 6 wt. 3 pc. Very fast action. Very tight loops.
My double haul improved because of a much shorter casting stroke
then with one of my slow action rods. And, for me, when I really slowed
down and felt what was going on, and the tension in the rod and line.
and really watching what the line was actually doing after the stop...
it unrolls, I don't know of any other way to describe it...

I notice if my form is off and I jerk the rod tip up with my right hand during the forward portion before the stop
as I'm pulling the line with my left hand (left hand is going by my left hip),
usually the line hits itself or my rod. It's definately a rhythm to the double
haul.

for a different take on this, check this video link out:
Code:
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Gunter+Feuerstein%27s+Backhand+Power+%28High%29+Haul&search=Search
I practise tight loop double - hauls with my right elbow in contact just below my right rib cage. Maybe twenty five to thirty-foot casts. and I really watch the line ... but the best practise for me is in the dark.

That swishing sound you hear is line speed. and that's what shooting is
about...sometimes when I do it just right, it's almost startling (how quickly
the line gets waaay out there in front of you).

Most importantly, for me, is feet positioning and how you distribute your
weight over your feet through different phases of moderate distance double-
haul. The longer you extend your arms you have to be aware of where your
center of gravity is located. Sometimes on my forward cast, I almost fall
forward and in catching my balance I screw up the cast and nullify the energy
created. This happens when I correct the forward imbalance by adjusting
my body backwards.

You'll pardon my lack of volcabulary describing the motions...
I learned thinking about the rod being full or empty.
Old 11-19-2007, 09:05 AM

It's hard to make suggestions without watching someone cast. I think the reason the line is hitting you or the rod is not because of your hauling. Also, I'm not sure why your having trouble with your balance. Let me say that in Lefty Kreh's style of casting he uses an open stance - his right foot is well behind his left - and when he makes a back cast his elbow passes his rear shoulder.
I use more of a closed stance, like Joan Wulff. The front of my right foot is even with the middle of my left. When I cast I don't pull my elbow back, but I bend my knees and rotate my hips during the cast and my elbow therefore moves back and forth because of my rotation. During the cast my elbow points about 45 degrees to the right of the target. My main point is that I think a caster should commit to either style. It sounds like your somewhere in the middle of both, and that the reason your line is hitting you or the rod is that your keeping your elbow close to your body - like Joan - but your rear foot is too far back and, therefore, you can't abruptly stop the cast without lowering the rod tip from the target line.
Randy Kadish

Randy Kadish
Old 04-14-2008, 07:51 PM

flyfishercecil is on a distinguished road

Gentlemen, thanks for all of the tips on double haul. I am especially indebted to Big Cliff because I followed the suggestion and checked out Sexyloops and it is, to use a too worn phrase, awesome.

I have book marked the site and will be using it a lot - I am certain. I am very new to the North American Forum and am grateful for such a wonerful resource.

and remember, "pescator non solum pescatur"

From the Great White North, thanks!