The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2007, 10:26 PM

Sahagan is on a distinguished road
Default Help with the double haul, please?

Could anyone direct me to, a) an online book, b) an online article, or c) a link, that gives a well written and easily understood exposition of the double haul?

Thanks in advance. I am and remain sincerely yours,

Sahagan
Old 05-20-2007, 08:34 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Help with the double haul, please?

Hi Sahagan,

Your best bet is to get Mel Krieger's "Essence of Casting". It covers the double haul and is a simple method. If you want to read instructions then try Lefty Kreh. Here is a second site to read. The secret to learning is to use very short hauls until you get the timing down.
Old 05-21-2007, 11:03 AM

Flyinsalt is on a distinguished road

Both the authors mentioned are good, but I seem to learn quicker from a DVD and would recommend one of Lefty Kreh's tapes. I find him very easy to follow. The best way, though, would be to get some personal instruction from someone in your area.
Old 05-21-2007, 11:07 AM

Flyinsalt is on a distinguished road

Just noticed you were looking for something online. Look at virtual fly casting.
Old 05-21-2007, 12:45 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Best casting instruction site I know of- here's their double haul page Double Haul Basics

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 05-21-2007, 12:47 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Best casting instruction site i know of- here's their double haul page: Double Haul Basics

Old 05-21-2007, 10:30 PM

Hey Cliff;

And my sincerest thanks for the link....I watched it time after time. Fact is, I'd read instructions about double hauling years ago, even tried to practice for a spell. I didn't see enough advantage in it to continue trying, although it appears something stuck, for I've been using a sort of single haul method since, on my uptake.

Well sir, I'm now convinced that video is many times better at teaching physical action and methods than the written word.

But I do end up with an observation and a question. I've been casting a flyrod since age fifteen (and I'm 57 now) and had never used, nor seen used, the kind of power and swiftness (some might say violence) the teacher uses on the upswing or loading the rod, and the forward casting loading of the rod. You can hear the rod and line 'swishing' as if it were filmed at a Japanese martial arts movie studio. That taught me something I'll be practicing on for sure.

And my question....when is he shooting line? I'm assuming it's when his hands come together, after gathering more line when the hands are farthest apart. Or am I totally off the beam here?

My thanks Sir!

Sahagan
Old 05-22-2007, 01:23 PM
Super Moderator

Going on the assumption that you're asking when to shoot line during the false casts, you should do so immediately after the "follow" part of tha haul, as you're bringing your hands together after the pull. It will take some practice to learn how much line you can shoot on each false casts and this depends on many variables.

The main thing that will allow you to shoot more line is line speed. The more line speed you are generating on those false casts, the further the line will carry before gravity starts to bring it down. The casting loops being tight in both directions will greatly add to this.

Wind can also affect this. If you have the wind at your back, you may not be able to shoot much line on the back-cast, but you can take advantage of the wind by throwing your forward cast high and letting the wind help it unroll. Into the wind, the situation would be flip-flopped. Just always try to make sure the cast into the wind is a tight loop.

Old 05-22-2007, 08:48 PM

Well, I spent some time practicing today...the double haul is going to take some getting used to, and apparently, quite a lot of practice.

I did however, put a good deal more "zip!" to my uptake and forward cast. And, it throws me off some, since it means my rod tip goes to places I'm not familiar with, resulting in big loops, line hitting line, and so forth.

On the other hand, when I get it right, and without trying to double haul, I can get 55-60 (I have a 100 yard shooting range in my back yard, with signs posted giving 25 yard increments, so measuring is easy, if not exactly totally accurate) feet with a small popper tied on. With nothing but the tippet, I can get 70 feet, but not as reliably as I should like.

Fortunately, those distances are sufficient for about 99 percent of my fishing situations. That doesn't mean though, that I won't continue to practice and learn the double haul.

In truth, this forum and these threads have caused my flyfishing jones to expand, well beyond the monkey on my back, to might near a passion. I'd better watch carefully, or I'll be buying stuff online....and Lord knows that therein lies trouble.

Again, thanks for the help and encouragement!

Sahagan
Old 05-23-2007, 11:27 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Sahagan,

You will learn the double haul much quicker if you use short (6" to 12") hauls and keep the rod hand and line hand close together. Doing a haul with fully extended arms is very difficult for a beginner.