The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   The Fly Cast (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-cast/)
-   -   Question about Rio Outbound Integretted Shooting Taper line (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-cast/204756-question-about-rio-outbound-integretted-shooting-taper-line.html)

tpcollins 11-12-2011 01:09 PM

Question about Rio Outbound Integretted Shooting Taper line

On my next salmon trip I want to use a 10wt and I have some regular WF10F line on my reel that I've practiced with so far. If I go to something like the Rio Intergretted Shooting Taper in a WF-10-F/I, (clear tip with a 1.5"-2" sink rate), is the first 30' going to be the same weight as my WF10F line or will it be considerably heavier due to the sink tip?

I'm wondering if I can aerialize 30' and shoot more line or if I have to cast something less than 30' and shoot alot more line? Thanks.

fyshstykr 11-12-2011 02:49 PM

Re: Question about Rio Outbound Integretted Shooting Taper line

TPCollins,:)
Without knowing what brand of line and configuration you are currently using it's difficult to know if the front 30' feet is the same weight although I would say they are probably reasonably close.
If you know what type it is then I would recommend going to the RIO site and this brands site and compare taper configuration and weights.

You should have no issues keeping 30' or more in the air.

tpcollins 11-12-2011 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fyshstykr (Post 346514)
TPCollins,:)
Without knowing what brand of line and configuration you are currently using it's difficult to know if the front 30' feet is the same weight although I would say they are probably reasonably close.
If you know what type it is then I would recommend going to the RIO site and this brands site and compare taper configuration and weights.

You should have no issues keeping 30' or more in the air.

I've verified my WF10F is right at the 280 grains it's suppose to be. I was able to find on the RIO site that their WF10F/I Integretted Tapered Head is listed at 425 grains - I would assume that would be the first 30' as well. That's a hair over 50% heavier so I'm not sure how that would false cast . . .

fyshstykr 11-12-2011 06:48 PM

Doph!:o
My bad, for some reason I was thinking they were both floating lines, I even read it a couple times too. I guess that's what I get when trying to answer a thread quickly when mrs fysh is waiting for me to go to town.:D

You'll certainly notice a difference when the rod loads, (as with all sinking lines and sink tips that's what you get) and you should get a little more distance to go along with it.

Jackster 11-12-2011 07:24 PM

Generally for heads they recommend one or two line weight heavier lines. That may explain the weight of the Outbound.