The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   The Fly Cast (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-cast/)
-   -   Need casting help, cast dies (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-cast/208965-need-casting-help-cast-dies.html)

nickrp 11-23-2011 12:16 PM

Need casting help, cast dies

OK so i am brand new to fly fishing and need some help before i head out on a backpacking trip.

Every time i shoot out my cast, the fly dies before it gets to its target. basically once the tippet passes the fly line it all kindda just falls in a bundle. why? is it because im not making a hard stop on my front cast? or something else? any help would be appreciated.

Guest1 11-23-2011 01:37 PM

Re: Need casting help, cast dies

It could be a few things. I almost hate to speculate so is there a way you can post a video so we can look at it? Video is the best tool there is for finding a fault in your cast.

nickrp 11-23-2011 01:39 PM

well i wont be going back out until friday when i go back packing. any possible causes?

kayo 11-23-2011 02:02 PM

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...ng-issues.html

this might help

williamhj 11-23-2011 04:47 PM

Might also be good to read and watch some videos on good casting practices, if you don't have time to post anything before you leave.

Guest1 11-23-2011 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nickrp (Post 352185)
well i wont be going back out until friday when i go back packing. any possible causes?

Just a wild guess without seeing you cast, the most likely thing is you don't haul I assume with either back or forward casts. Your back cast probably goes OK because your line hand gets farther from the rod as you go into your back stroke. But when you go into your forward stroke, your line hand gets closer to the rod essentially it's an anti-haul. You try and put the extra power on the shoot going faster, doing an even faster anti-haul and drop your rod tip to far. The line has lousy speed because of this, goes out and piles.

Video would seriously help. Even if you did it and just looked at it yourself you could likely see the problem. Video is the best diagnostic tool there is.
You could also go and cast in the yard and tape it.

wjc 11-27-2011 06:56 AM

Quote:

why? is it because im not making a hard stop on my front cast?
Probably. You also, probably, are not accelerating sharply into a "power snap" just before the crisp stop - in BOTH directions back cast And forward cast. The fly rod should not look like windshield wipers on 220 volts.

If you spent a half hour with a good casting instructor, your casting distance would probably triple and you would be using a quarter the effort.

The internet is indeed magical - for finding 20 year old washing machine agitators. But not so good for diagnosing a casting problem that every single person who first picks up a fly rod has - one which can have nearly an infinite number of causes.

Frank Whiton 11-27-2011 08:49 AM

Hi Nick,

If I understand your comments right the line is extending but the leader and fly end up in a pile. If that is correct you may be using too long of a leader or too light of a leader and tippet. It is all about transferring energy from the fly rod to the fly line to the leader. As the fly line turns over it has to impart energy to the leader butt so the leader will also turn over. Your leader butt may be to lite for the end of the fly line. Are you using a store bought tapered leader?

Tell us what your set up is; your rod, your fly line, the leader and the tippet.

Frank

bigkahuna 11-30-2011 10:10 AM

I have an educational fly fishing guide business, Fly Fishing Traditions, and I teach beginning fly casting using the "Orvis Method". It's really good investment for a beginning fly fisher. The Orvis casting video, "The Orvis Guide to Fly Casting". runs $25 and it worth it. It gets you started with good fundamentals right from the start.
Fly Casting Video / The Orvis Guide to Fly Casting DVD -- Orvis

Good Luck,
Clay Hash