The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2007, 11:21 PM

hardhat is on a distinguished road
Default Re: How to roll cast farther???

When roll casting sometimes I will do a counter clockwise movement with the rod and then in the same motion start the rod back into the roll cast motion. This enables me to get the line out of the water earlier so as I can have the roll airborne longer.
Old 08-13-2007, 08:35 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardhat View Post
When roll casting sometimes I will do a counter clockwise movement with the rod and then in the same motion start the rod back into the roll cast motion. This enables me to get the line out of the water earlier so as I can have the roll airborne longer.

Sounds like you are doing a little SPEY casting.
Old 01-06-2008, 02:43 AM

steely is on a distinguished road

Easy as pie. Do you have a fly shop nearby that rents movies? If so I would rent rio's newest spey casting dvd. SImon shows you how to do spey casts with a single handed rod. You should do a snake roll. Basically you just draw a e with your rod. "--" is slow, start accelerating at top arc to where top arc meet "-", accelerate more for bottom arc, and this bottom arc has you in casting postition. Smoothly transition to forward cast with a haul.

As with roll cast, your line and a couple of feet of line should be on water, directly between you and target. Well I guess unlike roll cast only a couple of feet of line should be on water. Too much line on water will grasp at line, but you need some line to load your rod.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matttrick View Post
Hey all,

I recently encountered a situation I, as a newbie to fly fishing, did not know the answer to. I was fishing a small lake/pond with still water for large mouth bass. While fishing, I was out in waist deep water. There was an over hanging tree above me, and brush on the bank maybe 10 feet behind me. I was practicing my roll cast as I thought this to be an excellent situation. My issue was that I just could not get the fly out far enough. I was able to cast in the 40-50 ft. range with my roll cast, by pulling out more line before beginning my cast. Then I could pay it all out on the forward part of the roll cast, but to much line(or slack) meant the line was unrolling all the way. But I couldn't use a back cast and haul more line out b/c of the limited space. This was on my six weight rod. I was using a fairly large clouser, probably a #4. Any recommendations? I was try to get the fly out to maybe another 20 ft, as there was a partially submerged boat and there were some large fish in that area hitting the surface. I need some poppers.
Old 01-15-2008, 11:54 PM

racine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the rough

Forgive me for asking but isn't a 50 much less a 40 ft roll cast a good one? Maybe I've just learned wrong but I would like to learn to roll out to 50 ft as well. Is the steeple cast a possible practical alternative to the roll?
Inquiring Minds Want To Know,
Racine
Old 01-16-2008, 01:00 AM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly

I need to practice my roll cast way more! I always get a pile of line on the water. never straightens out. maybe I am not aiming high enough and just letting it fall in a heap before it unrolls. also I never practiced it that much. I feel ya on the high water. and now a extra problem for me. ice!

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.
Old 01-16-2008, 10:04 AM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all

Another technique that I learned from watching Chris Kornich of the ACA is to begin the roll cast just before the fly stops moving.

Randy Kadish
Old 01-16-2008, 10:56 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi to all,

I think Racine has made a very good point. I was thinking the same thing. 50' is a pretty good roll cast with a WF line.

Matttrick, I don't know what the circumstances are but here is something you might try. It sounds like you are wading straight out and then trying to reach the target in a straight line from your position. It sounds like you have some clearance behind you. I would wade to one side. The right side for a right hander and use a side arm cast. By moving further down the bank you will increase your back clearance. The sidearm cast works like an over head cast and you will be able to shoot some line. Your cast will be a little bit longer but in the long run it may give you more distance. I use a sidearm cast a lot under trees.

With practice you can cast sidearm almost parallel to the shore and then with your final delivery direct the fly more away from the bank. This style of cast is not a long cast but works pretty well with practice. The trick is to position yourself to one side of the target and adjust until you are in the sweet spot where you can reach the target with your final delivery. I learned the side arm cast years ago when it was the only way to make a curve cast.

Frank
Old 01-16-2008, 12:18 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Seconds on the side cast, plus it is awesome in the wind.
Old 01-24-2008, 09:33 PM

Matttrick is on a distinguished road

Ahhh, well I haven't yet gotten a chance to re-practice my roll cast, or any cast for that matter. Due to circumstances, I was fishing out of a covered boat house all summer w/ a spinning rod. I ended up getting a 4 wt TFO finesse rod which made all the difference in the world in terms of roll casting. It's a thing of beauty! I can roll cast a wff line w/o to many issues. I actually have a DT 4wt line on order right now. I can't wait to get it out on the river for the Sandie run next month.

The right rod made such a big difference. I learned for once that my technique isn't actually that bad (and getting better). I'm intrigued by this side cast technique though, I will be trying it out.

Now, if I could only cast my 8wt TiCrX a mile, I might me happy.
Old 01-25-2008, 10:00 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

I ended up getting a 4 wt TFO finesse rod which made all the difference in the world in terms of roll casting.

Hi Matttrick,

Your statement is exactly why I don't recommend fly rods that cost less than $100. There may be some that cast great but I have never seen one.

One thing you might try with your TiCr X is to use a SA GPX fly line it is 1/2 line overweight and will help with your very stiff TiCr X. You also need to have 40' or so of fly line out to help flex the rod. Both of these things will help you better load your rod.

Frank