The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2008, 09:55 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to roll cast farther???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
I ended up getting a 4 wt TFO finesse rod which made all the difference in the world in terms of roll casting.

Hi Matttrick,

Your statement is exactly why I don't recommend fly rods that cost less than $100. There may be some that cast great but I have never seen one.

One thing you might try with your TiCr X is to use a SA GPX fly line it is 1/2 line overweight and will help with your very stiff TiCr X. You also need to have 40' or so of fly line out to help flex the rod. Both of these things will help you better load your rod.

Frank

Frank, have you tried the RIO "Windcutter II" ?
With the Windcutter line you can make tip casts with just the tip of the rod for very tight loops. It has a thicker belly to load the butt section of the rod for distance and the tip is one size lighter and the belly one size larger than normal line size.
Really a sweet line.
Old 01-25-2008, 06:49 PM

Matttrick is on a distinguished road

Not to get off topic, but I was also planning on loading up the TiCrX with some different line.

I'm actively considering the SA GPX line. But I was glancing at some cortland line as well and now it seems I might look at this RIO line also.

Joni, will the RIO line turn big flies over easily? I bought the TiCrX for the coast and for big hairy bass bugs.
Old 01-25-2008, 07:05 PM

jimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura about

The rio clouser line will it shoots like a bullet
Old 01-25-2008, 07:38 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Jim, cause I truly can't answer thatn from experience cause I don't cast BIG flies so to speak. I use #2 on a sinking line and they cast just fine, but that is a SA or Orvis sinking line. I will bet the Windcutter would cause of its taper.
Old 01-25-2008, 07:50 PM

jimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura about

Check rio's site the clouser lines taper is very radical. Its is designed to cast big flys and heavy flys works great. About the biggest i throw are 3/0 clousers but some have big lead eyes. I use it on a 9wt for my saltwater fishing, I also have it on a 5wt it roll casts very well and is good for casting with not much line. Its fault would be a little louder presentation
Jim
Old 01-26-2008, 08:39 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni View Post
Frank, have you tried the RIO "Windcutter II" ?
With the Windcutter line you can make tip casts with just the tip of the rod for very tight loops. It has a thicker belly to load the butt section of the rod for distance and the tip is one size lighter and the belly one size larger than normal line size.
Really a sweet line.
Hi Joni,

No, I have not casted the Windcutter II but it looks like an interesting line. RIO is making some good lines. They are using some really good tapers. This Windcutter II is a good example. One of these days I would like to test the tips of the RIO lines with their AgentX coating against the new SA tips with their new loops.

Frank

RIO WindCutter II
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 05-01-2008, 09:42 PM

Red Owl has a spectacular aura aboutRed Owl has a spectacular aura about

Forgive my newbie ignorance but what exactly should a roll cast look like? The way I am currently doing it is to raise the rod, let the line belly towards me and when the line stops make the forward motion like a regular cast. In any event I create a large roll. A while back I saw a TV show where a guy was roll casting and the line looked like a bicycle tire rolling across the water, a very small, tight loop. How should this cast look? Thanks for any help.
Old 05-01-2008, 10:16 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

The main way to tighten up the loop on a roll cast is to make the forward stroke powerful and stop the rod tip high. If you really do that emphatically, you may even be able to pull off a roll cast that finishes in a loop above the water.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.