The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2007, 01:09 PM

Matttrick is on a distinguished road
Default How to roll cast farther???

Hey all,

I recently encountered a situation I, as a newbie to fly fishing, did not know the answer to. I was fishing a small lake/pond with still water for large mouth bass. While fishing, I was out in waist deep water. There was an over hanging tree above me, and brush on the bank maybe 10 feet behind me. I was practicing my roll cast as I thought this to be an excellent situation. My issue was that I just could not get the fly out far enough. I was able to cast in the 40-50 ft. range with my roll cast, by pulling out more line before beginning my cast. Then I could pay it all out on the forward part of the roll cast, but to much line(or slack) meant the line was unrolling all the way. But I couldn't use a back cast and haul more line out b/c of the limited space. This was on my six weight rod. I was using a fairly large clouser, probably a #4. Any recommendations? I was try to get the fly out to maybe another 20 ft, as there was a partially submerged boat and there were some large fish in that area hitting the surface. I need some poppers.
Old 06-25-2007, 03:17 PM

error4o4 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: How to roll cast farther???

I tend to do a lot of fishing on small ponds and lakes, typically with a ton of brush on the bank. The roll cast works great, but I too was having trouble with distance. I use a 4w floating line on a 4w 7'6" Cortland rod. A fly fishing buddy turned me on to Russ Peak's line dressing. Made all the difference in the world. This would be my suggestion... but i'm a noob. hahahaha.
Old 06-25-2007, 03:27 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Well, I can give you some advice on how to roll cast further, but doing so with a heavy fly out at then end of it makes it a bit tougher.

There's a few ways to get a longer roll cast. You can use a longer rod, create more line speed, or aerialize more line.

One way to get a longer rod for free is to hold the rod higher up in the air while casting, and use a "tomahawk chop" style stroke. Its ugly, and bad technique in most cases, but when you've waded in waist deep or more, its often the best option.

To create more line speed, the easiest way is to use your other hand to grasp the butt of the rod and use it to put more "snap" on the cast. Think of your 9' rod as a spey rod and you might be amazed what it can do. Check out Fly Fishing with Sexyloops Redirection Page for some tutorials on spey casting.

The spey techniques will also enable you to aerialize more line. This allows you to cast further by reducing the amount of fly line that is affected by the "grip" of the surface tension of the water. Just be careful to not aerialize line into the overhead tree in the situation you described earlier.

One other consideration, attempting long roll casts with a short bellied WFF line doesn't work very well. A longer headed WFF line or a DT will work much better for roll/spey casting.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 06-25-2007, 08:02 PM

Yes, actually I was attempting to get more line in the air. But in doing so, my forward cast would kind of jumble down infront of me without unrolling all the way. I guess that means I need to generate more line speed. I'll have to try this double handed spey-like cast. Maybe a new line dressing as well, who knows.

Thanks for the feedback.
Old 06-25-2007, 09:08 PM

Fishplease is on a distinguished road

Well if TOO much line is out, no power reaches the outer most part of the fly line , and so nothing happens. I do roll casts all the time, and I let the line sit on the water, and let the roll cast shoot the line out of the rod.
Old 06-26-2007, 01:24 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

A further bit of advice regarding roll casting with a heavy fly: getting it up as close as possible to the surface will work better. You can achieve this by throwing a short roll cast to put the fly on the surface, and then performing your roll cast quickly after it.

As you're looking over pages of advice on spey casting, any mention of how to cast with "heavy tips" applies somewhat to casting with a heavy fly. In both cases you want to get the heavy item up close to the water's surface so the energy of the cast is used for airborne propulsion rather than to bring the sunk item up from the depths.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 06-26-2007, 03:46 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I am fishing the same waters lately. Like cliff said, lift you casting arm straight up and maybe slightly to the side. Lift it to where the line is now hanging slightly behind you, then whip but try to stop at 10:00 to straighten the line then drop the tip.
I usually peel out a bunch of line and shake the tip to get it all out on the water, then I do what I just described.
With heavier flies, you have to speed up the first part to get the fly to the surface.
Old 06-26-2007, 04:26 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Matttrick

Well with all of this good help you should be roll casting like a pro. Here is another little trick to increase distance. When you make you forward cast aim it slightly up instead of straight out. Something like when you are doing a standard cast for distance. When you bring you rod back behind your shoulder, have you hand at shoulder level or slightly higher. When you make the forward cast extend you casting arm out and up instead of just out. You may already be doing this but someone may find it useful.
Old 06-27-2007, 09:21 AM

Yes, I've kind of been playing around with some minor variations to my roll cast. I've actually tried to cast up and out on my forward cast, rather than just out. It definately helps. This weekend, I'm going to go buy some DT line as I think this will also help out my roll cast quite a bit, and if it ever quits raining and flooding here, I might actuallly get to use it!
Old 06-27-2007, 09:24 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Matttrick,

Now you are talking. A DT line is just what you need for roll casting. I think you will like it.