The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2011, 03:31 PM

Red Owl has a spectacular aura aboutRed Owl has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Salt Water fly cast

Well- I don't want to practice the wrong way and develop bad habits. If I did the old 10 to 12 motion and ended up like what I see in the photos- it seems I would drop the rod tip and lose the force of the back cast. Maybe the best thing is to team up with someone who can show me. Is what I am seeing more of a side arm cast?
Old 12-05-2011, 03:55 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Owl View Post
Is what I am seeing more of a side arm cast?
I guess you could say that. You're sweeping the rod out around your side and turning it 180* as you do it. You always want the tip up though and the reel to stay on the same plane, about level with your chin.
Old 12-05-2011, 04:34 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

In the salt I generally carry more line in the air or I'm carrying a line with a heavy head. I don't know if it is the correct way to cast but when I'm really pushing for distance my cast opens up pretty far. Here I am pushing for 100. You can see what Rip is talking about, the reel is turned out, arm is laid back but still on plane

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 12-05-2011, 10:42 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Quote:
Well- I don't want to practice the wrong way and develop bad habits......Maybe the best thing is to team up with someone who can show me.
I think both are good ideas. It is very hard to improve or learn different techniques from descriptions, unless you are already an advanced caster. Where do you live? And what do you plan on fishing for?

The best thing, of course, would be to take a lesson from a casting instructor first, then practice, read and watch videos.

The second best thing would be to take a video of your casting - not the line going out, but of you taken from the side with at least half of the rod in the frame. Then post it up here.

PS: Nice photo, Swirl. Looks like you are doing very well indeed to me.
Old 12-06-2011, 07:20 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Here are three videos by Lefty Kreh, Steve Rajeff and George Revel, a certified master instructor and distance casting champion.

Lefty Kreh's aids to better fly casting - YouTube

Steve Rajeff How To Cast A Fly Rod - YouTube

Advanced Fly Casting Tips: Adding Distance To Your Cast - Leland Fly Fishing Outfitters - YouTube

Silver

http://tinyurl.com/kkctayx

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 12-06-2011, 08:13 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjc View Post
P.S: Nice photo, Swirl. Looks like you are doing very well indeed to me.
Thanks Jim,
I just got on the water today for the first time with a switch rod. Just when I get some consistency in my cast I throw a wrench into the works
Old 12-06-2011, 09:06 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Ha! I know exactly what you mean, Swirl. I've had a tendency all my life to sabotage my own best efforts! There are just too many things to do, try and experience, that's the problem.
Old 03-15-2012, 10:56 AM

chefben4 is on a distinguished road

I am new to the saltwater thing and actually take lessons when I arrive before I go on a fishing trip to the salt. My most recent trip was to the keys and of course it was windy. The guide taught me the Belgium cast.. how do you guys feel about it? As a beginner it was easy to pick up.. is it an alternative to a double haul? It seems I get more line speed but maybe less control..
Old 03-15-2012, 11:09 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

I haven't heard of the Belgium cast, so I'm looking forward to hearing back from the experts on this one! Thanks for reviving the thread Ben, I'll be needing all the help I can get, come May...

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 03-15-2012, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefben4 View Post
I am new to the saltwater thing and actually take lessons when I arrive before I go on a fishing trip to the salt. My most recent trip was to the keys and of course it was windy. The guide taught me the Belgium cast.. how do you guys feel about it? As a beginner it was easy to pick up.. is it an alternative to a double haul? It seems I get more line speed but maybe less control..
It's basically an oval cast. Works well if your on a boat or a dock.

---------- Post added at 02:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:05 PM ----------

Sorry, I wasn't very specific there. When casting single handed in the salt it's sometimes difficult to keep line speed up especially when fighting wind or carrying alot of line outside the tip. The Belgium or oval cast helps maintain line speed. I use this cast with my switch rod when doing twohanded, overhead casts since I don't have a third hand to haul with. The 11' rod and using a short head allows this cast to work in the surf however if you try this with a 9-10' rod and a 40' head on the beach you will hit the sand behind you. Hope that's a better explaination.