The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2012, 01:54 PM

chefben4 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Salt Water fly cast

OK! This makes sense... I am usually fishing with a guide in the salt so I am often on a boat. When I was in the keys I was 30 miles out and had a 15-25 mph wind for half the day. The guide showed me the cast and it worked really well for me and I would call myself a novice. I am working on learning the double haul for my upcoming tarpon trip at the end of april/beginning of may.
Old 03-15-2012, 02:19 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefben4 View Post
OK! This makes sense... I am usually fishing with a guide in the salt so I am often on a boat. When I was in the keys I was 30 miles out and had a 15-25 mph wind for half the day. The guide showed me the cast and it worked really well for me and I would call myself a novice. I am working on learning the double haul for my upcoming tarpon trip at the end of april/beginning of may.
You should be fine then. It's a good idea to learn both methods. The most important thing to remember is line speed is not the same as rod speed. You can thrash your rod until you separate your shoulder and it won't do you any good. The idea is to keep the line moving. Sometimes you can use the wind to help your cast, some times you need to shorten the amount of line you have outside the tip. Basically you can't make a good cast if there is slack in your line, that part is obvious. The tricky part is figuring out how to get rid of that slack because the answer isn't always the same. Good Luck
Old 03-15-2012, 04:36 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Ben, check out this video, it really helped me get a handle on double-hauling:
I'm not pro, but this took me up a step from weaving my fly line into knots around my rod at high speeds.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 03-15-2012, 05:27 PM

chefben4 is on a distinguished road

Thanks AJ. Im thinking its one of those things once you figure it out its like a light bulb goes off. I kept telling my instructor its like asking some to rub their stomach and pat their head! Which I cannot do of course lol

EDIT: I watched the video AFTER I posted this.. and he says the pat your head rubbing your stomach thing lol. Great video. Too bad its storming outside or Id be practicing.
Old 03-15-2012, 05:34 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefben4 View Post
Thanks AJ. Im thinking its one of those things once you figure it out its like a light bulb goes off. I kept telling my instructor its like asking some to rub their stomach and pat their head! Which I cannot do of course lol

EDIT: I watched the video AFTER I posted this.. and he says the pat your head rubbing your stomach thing lol. Great video. Too bad its storming outside or Id be practicing.
It's more about memorizing the motion than anything else. Learning it on the rod is a little tougher. Try this while it's storming out.
Old 03-15-2012, 07:45 PM

chuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nice

The Belgian Cast | MidCurrent a great short piece on the Belgian which is described at times as a sidearm backcast with an overhead fore cast.

Other than that you should learn to cast a multitude of ways as when you are out on a flats boat casting platform there are a multitude of conditions dictating one cast or another. For those of you who haven't tried this set up a rather tall step ladder in your yard then add about 8 feet of pole above the ladder and slanting to the side somewhat for awhile and then move it to the other and then place it straight up. (I use an 8 ft step ladder with another eight feet of ladder leaned against it to simulate the guide with his hands up and then add his pole.) Now to this basic set up, make sure the wind is blowing a bit, and for beginners, I'd suggest around 15 kts and preferrably at an angle away from your casting side, and then step up on your casting platform (I use a step stool)which is located about 15 ft from the stepladder.

Now imagine a clock and start trying to lay out 60 ft casts from 11:00 all the way around until you reach 12:00. Once you are successful, change the angle of your imaginary boat to the wind and repeat, and then try it at 40 ft, then 70 ft, etc. Use hula hoop targets and keep score to identify weak points and directions for your cast.
You get 10 big points for accuracy, and 5 bonus points for distances over 60 ft and 10 for distances overe 100 ft. All casts must hit the target to count
As for tucking your elbow-no points given or taken away and the same with reaching back or learning Belgian Casts--in short the proof is in the pudding!
Should you hit your guide, or his platform, etc--you lose 10 points automatically!

Be sure to practice hitting your target with a strong wind coming into your casting arm when using your back cast as your primary cast to the target, comes in handy, as does casting with your fly rod tilted above and past overhead. use yarn at first and then later add a fly where the barb is clipped away. Wear Sunglasses, a hat with a back flap (and you thought that flap was to keep the sun off) and have fun.

A couple of the lessons you'll learn is that a very low sidearm cast is great under certain wind conditions; and that even throwing your loop under, instead of over the line is great at times; and lastly , Yes, there is the fabled Triple Haul and it is useful!"
Chuck S

"I've traveled many roads and some weren't paved."
Will Rodgers

http://fishing-folks.blogspot.com/
Old 03-26-2012, 10:26 PM

pegboy1 has a spectacular aura aboutpegboy1 has a spectacular aura about

Here is something all salt fly casters should also have in their arsenal. Great for ultra windy conditions. This has maybe been posted before, but I though it might be a good repost.

Orvis Podcasts - Casting into the Wind
Old 05-19-2012, 02:30 AM

fisher46 is on a distinguished road

For some awesome distance try the rio slick shooter line 35LB. 110' if you can keep the line from tangling in ur basket 120' if the wind is blowing right. 90' is nothing for that stuff. (we have a measured casting 100' pond here) For a 9wt, ur head is about 385 grains / T11 = 35 ft. You need to be 2 to 2.5 times heavy then the rod is weighted line weight. You can make ur own heads. Its pretty easy once u know the sweet weight for your rod. Check out the AFTMA line weight charts. I use a 25.00 scale I bought from the head shop. Most of these are in grams but the conversion of grams to grains is - grams /15.43 = grains.- Admittedly though, I can't advise on floating Heads. I use the +40 Airflo for that. its awesome for turning big flies. Hopefully Ur fly shop can help. O, Airflo make a great running line foe shooting heads. Its easier to figure and use then mono with very little stretch. SA has a cut to fit integrated line out. 40.00
However, we were talking distance. The mono is great for windy days in the surf. Play with it you'll, get it.