The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2011, 02:59 PM

Red Owl has a spectacular aura aboutRed Owl has a spectacular aura about
Default Salt Water fly cast

I learned the 10 O'Clock to 12 O'Clock way to cast a fly line which is okay on a little trout stream but I see these photos of salt water casters with their arms way back and I have no idea how to make that type of cast- which I assume is done to get more distance. In any event any explanation or sources I can study would help a lot. Thanks.
Old 12-04-2011, 03:21 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future
Default Re: Salt Water fly cast

Generally you lengthen your stroke length as you lengthen your cast.

wjc... come on in here and straighten this guy out. You've lived the trout to salt life and should have some great first-hand advice.

Last edited by Jackster; 12-04-2011 at 09:40 PM.
Old 12-04-2011, 03:45 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

In saltwater casting you're going to see a lot more double-hauling. If you watch videos of guys double hauling, you'll often see the casting stroke getting more into the 9 and 3 areas and further.

If you're targeting bonefish, tarpon and the like, double hauling is going to be crucial unless you're a wonder caster. Check it out! Orvis' Pete Kutzer has a great video on double-hauling, it's worth watching.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 12-04-2011, 04:06 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

What you are describing is the "Low Elbow" style of Lefty Kreh. The style you learned is the elbow forward style.

Since Steve Rajeff, one of if not the best caster in the world, uses the elbow forward style, you might do better to improve the style you are using than to learn a new style. I think it is not the style of casting but the mastery of the style that determines the distance you can cast.

"This is the arm style of people who have most influenced casting in California, including Jimmy Green, Mel Krieger and Steve and Tim Rajeff."

Both the Elbow Forward style of Steve Rajeff and the Low Elbow style of Lefty Kreh are described by Al Kyte in Fall 2002 issue of The Loop.

Lefty Kreh claims his style is easier on the body, however, studies have shown this is not the case. There are fewer injuries of the elbow and wrist with the overhead style compared to the sidearm low elbow style.

"A team of researchers is studying the biomechanics of fly-casting at Montana State University, Bozeman (MSU)….. Elbow pain was significantly less for the overhead style compared with the elliptical style. Wrist pain was significantly less for those who used the overhead style instead of either the elliptical or sidearm styles."

http://www.working-well.org/articles/pdf/Fishing.pdf

If you want to learn from Lefty, he has a Casting DVD and a book
Amazon.com: Casting with Lefty Kreh (9780811703697): Lefty Kreh, Jay Nichols: Books Amazon.com: Casting with Lefty Kreh (9780811703697): Lefty Kreh, Jay Nichols: Books

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Last edited by silver creek; 12-04-2011 at 10:54 PM.
Old 12-04-2011, 04:25 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Owl View Post
I learned the 10 O'Clock to 12 O'Clock way to cast a fly line which is okay on a little trout stream but I see these photos of salt water casters with their arms way back and I have no idea how to make that type of cast- which I assume is done to get more distance. In any event any explanation or sources I can study would help a lot. Thanks.
basically the theory says that the further the rod tip travels during the "speed up and stop" the tighter the loop, and the tighter the loop the less air resistance.
You can read more about it in Ed Jaworowski's book The Cast

---------- Post added at 05:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:07 PM ----------

It's a shame that there's no video for Mark Sedotti's Sayonara Sling. He's a casting freak.
You should google him (any hot links would be to other forums). And if he's ever at a club meeting or show near you, go see.
Old 12-04-2011, 04:30 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I have a Canadian friend who can cast into the next zipcode, Red Owl. Some of the discussions about his casting may help you with figuring this out, Look in the fly cast for the threads with Amazing Natural Caster. He has the 3 O'clock - 9 O'clock thing down pretty well. There are some good videos on you tube also.

Last edited by Guest1; 12-04-2011 at 04:56 PM.
Old 12-04-2011, 06:54 PM

grassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nice

for saltwater to maximize distance i use a 10 o clock to a 3 oclock so my line is released high and it has more time to travel
Old 12-05-2011, 12:35 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know if you can make this out, but in this picture my reel is facing toward my right, not to the front. If I were to continue to roll my wrist out and extend my arm back I could reach back all the way toward the dunes for maximum distance.
You want the rod tip to stay on plane pointed toward the sky the whole time, not back to horizontal

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by Rip Tide; 12-05-2011 at 12:54 PM.
Old 12-05-2011, 12:58 PM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all

I believe Lefty's method is easier for most casters, as it will help prevent your fly from hitting the rod tip. Just make sure your right-foot, assuming you're casting right-handed, is behind your left foot.

Also, if you use a drift move, using Lefty's - rather than lowering the rod to, let's say, 2 o'clock - will help prevent you from adding slack in the line.

To me, one of the big problems with Lefty's method is changing casting trajectories, but that rarely has to be done when casting in saltwater.

Also, when I tried casting Lefty's way I couldn't get my body to fully rotate.

Randy
Old 12-05-2011, 01:09 PM

What Lefty says: (principle #5)

Quote:
For long or more difficult casts, you will need to bring the rod well behind your body on the back cast. In order to do this, you should rotate your casting thumb away from its normal position on top of the rod about 45 degrees away from your body before initiating the back cast, and then take your forearm (never the wrist) straight back 180 degrees from the target