The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2012, 08:43 PM

floorabove is on a distinguished road
Default Re: How does an Overhead Two Handed cast differ from a Spey or Switch cast?

Neil I. Am new at this but I definetely recommmend the 8wt TicrX and extension kit.

You can use the 8wt single hand. And the extension kit with two hands We just need to find out which line would be best for the extended 11'3" ticrx 8wt.

The 8 wt SH should be enough to land bonefish, the key is the reel for and backing when it comes to bones. You ll need a good drag and lots of backing. At least thats how it looks on the sarurday morning fishing shows.
Old 01-23-2012, 04:18 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How does an Overhead Two Handed cast differ from a Spey or Switch cast?

Quote:
Originally Posted by floorabove View Post
Thanks Diver Dan, that video is helpful.

I went out and picked up the 8wt TICRx and extension kit for that rod. If I like it I may look into the deer creek or st croix imperial 2 hander.

Should I use an 8wt line with the ticrx when it is converted?
No. Do not use a single hand line for a switch rod. There are guys that tell you that they do, but it isn't the best way to do it. Find out what the grain window for the rod as a switch rod is. Get a line that's designed for what it is.
Old 01-23-2012, 05:28 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Neil I. Am new at this but I definetely recommmend the 8wt TicrX and extension kit.

You can use the 8wt single hand. And the extension kit with two hands We just need to find out which line would be best for the extended 11'3" ticrx 8wt.

The 8 wt SH should be enough to land bonefish, the key is the reel for and backing when it comes to bones. You ll need a good drag and lots of backing. At least thats how it looks on the sarurday morning fishing shows.
I spend tons of time chasing Stripers in the salt and I recently went through what your going through when I went to two handed overhead surf casting. You should be fine with the TiCrX switch setup, just call or email TFO to find out the grain window for that setup like Dan said. I can probably save you a little time also. What is your go to single hand setup (rod&line) for the salt?

P.S. Don't worry about what the Sat morning show host says about extra backing and drag for bones. If you've caught 30lb Stripers or 10lb Albies with your gear you'll be just fine.
Old 05-26-2012, 10:50 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Thanks Diver Dan, that video is helpful.

I went out and picked up the 8wt TICRx and extension kit for that rod. If I like it I may look into the deer creek or st croix imperial 2 hander.

Should I use an 8wt line with the ticrx when it is converted?
You will need a heavier line with the switch rod. One with a shorter head will also be easier to cast overhand. I have the TFO 9wt switch. I've never cast the 8wt conversion but If I had to guess I would say somewhere around a 400-475 grain head should should work on that rod.
Old 05-29-2012, 04:01 AM

fisher46 is on a distinguished road

[QUOTE=floorabove;363937]No I only have 1 handed rods. I fish salt, frum surf to back bays in the NE for stripers blues etc. I have been thinking of getting a 2 handed rod for the beach. Judging from the above descriptions I do not think Spey style rods/casts would work as the beach in the front doesn't lat down enough to generate enough line tension. My thinking was if I could use two hands I could generate more power on windy and/or high surf days to get my line out over the waves, so I began looking into two handed rods and the TFO BVK and TICRX both have an option where you can add an extension to a regular i handed rod , but upon doing research posts I have read describe one as " not a spey or switch rod, merely an "overhead casting rod" and the other , the BVK as a "Czech nymphing rod")

TFO has a switch conversion for the 8wt trx surf rods ( the blue ones ) It turns a 9' into a 11'4". It throughs about a 425 grain head. it's $150.00. It does get u a little more distance. it's a bigger lever. u gotta slow down a bit on ur cast and open ur loop more. So, it looses it's advantage in the wind. Our surf on the west is a bit bigger then yours from what I understand. I say that because its hard to use a stripping basket. For me anyhow.