The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Fly Cast

The Fly Cast Discuss fly casting with the expert, ask for help, learn to cast farther, increase your accuracy, troubleshoot your cast.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2011, 07:28 AM

floorabove is on a distinguished road
Default How does an Overhead Two Handed cast differ from a Spey or Switch cast?

Good Morning ,

Wondering if anybody can explain what a TWO HANDED OVERHEAD CAST is?

I understand it is a good cast for surf fishing, but not sure if it is the same as a spey cast, or switch cast?

Or are they all the same with the names TH overhead, spey and switch referring to the type of fly rod?
Old 12-14-2011, 08:59 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future
Default Re: How does an Overhead Two Handed cast differ from a Spey or Switch cast?

A two handed over head cast is just how it sounds. Its the same cast you would do with a single handed rod just with a two handed rod. Spey casts are basically a change in direction roll cast. Spey is a waterbourne cast, overhead is airielized. The switch cast is a name for type of spey cast there is the snap t, snake roll, C spey, perry poke, double and single spey and various combinations of them. Hope that helps.
Old 12-14-2011, 09:05 AM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all
Default Re: How does an Overhead Two Handed cast differ from a Spey or Switch cast?

Also, in an overhead cast the fly line loads the rod. In a spey cast the tension between the spey line and the water loads the rod.

There are many demonstrations of spey casting on youtube.

Randy
Old 12-14-2011, 10:19 PM

okay thanks, I think that clears it up a bit

---------- Post added at 11:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:15 PM ----------

okay so now I have two more questions rattling around my head...

what is the difference between a spey line and a fly line?

and

what is a two handed czech nymphing rod? what kind of casts do you make with this type of rod?
Old 12-14-2011, 11:01 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

First question back, do you have a spey rod? Have you used it much if you do?

First in your question there is a bit of terminology that needs cleared up. Switch casts are not casts done on a switch rod. There seems to be a lot of people that think so, but it's not. A switch cast is a spey cast without a direction change. Spey casts are sort of like roll casting but there is more energy imparted into the line with a spey cast. Far better way to cast. Spey lines are much heavier than single hand lines. I have never heard of a two hand Czech nymphing rod although there are some guys using switch rods (Short spey rods) to Czech nymph with. Personally I think it's kind of like buying a Maserati Bora to run the kid to school. They don't really cast that way. It's kind of just flick and high stick with a long rod and a really heavy nymph tight lined.

Last edited by Guest1; 12-14-2011 at 11:31 PM.
Old 12-15-2011, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
First question back, do you have a spey rod? Have you used it much if you do?

First in your question there is a bit of terminology that needs cleared up. Switch casts are not casts done on a switch rod. There seems to be a lot of people that think so, but it's not. A switch cast is a spey cast without a direction change. Spey casts are sort of like roll casting but there is more energy imparted into the line with a spey cast. Far better way to cast. Spey lines are much heavier than single hand lines. I have never heard of a two hand Czech nymphing rod although there are some guys using switch rods (Short spey rods) to Czech nymph with. Personally I think it's kind of like buying a Maserati Bora to run the kid to school. They don't really cast that way. It's kind of just flick and high stick with a long rod and a really heavy nymph tight lined.

No I only have 1 handed rods. I fish salt, frum surf to back bays in the NE for stripers blues etc. I have been thinking of getting a 2 handed rod for the beach. Judging from the above descriptions I do not think Spey style rods/casts would work as the beach in the front doesn't lat down enough to generate enough line tension. My thinking was if I could use two hands I could generate more power on windy and/or high surf days to get my line out over the waves, so I began looking into two handed rods and the TFO BVK and TICRX both have an option where you can add an extension to a regular i handed rod , but upon doing research posts I have read describe one as " not a spey or switch rod, merely an "overhead casting rod" and the other , the BVK as a "Czech nymphing rod")

As you can tell I am still new to the sport of fly-fishing, been at it a few years but I do other styles of fishing ( even 8 and bait, but don't tell anybody please -- I do not want to pay double for a fly-fishing magazine) , and unfortunately I also have work and a family that do not understand the importance of fishing. So the learning hasn't occurred as fast as I would have liked.

Thanks.
Old 12-15-2011, 10:30 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

If I were you I would look into the switch rod catagory. TFO Deer Creek is a good choice and Beulah makes a model specically for the surf if I'm not mistaken. The great thing about them is you eliminate alot of backcasting and the rod length keeps the fly out of the jetties, crow weeds, and what have you. Plus when you cast overhead with two hands you're not working as hard as you would with a single handed rod. There's a thread posted by SwirlChaser on this exact subject that has some good info on his rod choice and line selection.
Old 12-17-2011, 02:15 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Actually if you have room for the back cast, an overhead cast with a spey rod will go into the next time zone. I have long spey rods. I need a good 85' or so behind me but I can put a cast out so far it is rediculous.

I found a video that may help you see what an overhead two hand cast works like.
Old 01-21-2012, 01:20 PM

Thanks Diver Dan, that video is helpful.

I went out and picked up the 8wt TICRx and extension kit for that rod. If I like it I may look into the deer creek or st croix imperial 2 hander.

Should I use an 8wt line with the ticrx when it is converted?
Old 01-21-2012, 05:20 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

Not to change the subject, but has anyone used a Spey rod for Bonefish & what weight would you reccomend. I've been thinking of trying one &I'm going to the Bahama's in March so if I could get one that's good for light salt around here also it would be great....

Neil